Need Help - Turned off brake and corner cones

• Thread starter Bruunz
  • 4 comments
Australia
Australia
So I've decided to turn off braking and corner cones in an attempt to be a better driving without relying on them.
But i now realise how reliant i was.

I need tips on how to basically relearn some tracks. Some corners i am OK with as the cones lined up with some markers but i am struggling with early turn in habits and not knowing where to brake sometimes.
I've tried using shadows but that doesn't help when the time of day changes.

How did you make the transition? Any tips?

So I've decided to turn off braking and corner cones in an attempt to be a better driving without relying on them.
But i now realise how reliant i was.

I need tips on how to basically relearn some tracks. Some corners i am OK with as the cones lined up with some markers but i am struggling with early turn in habits and not knowing where to brake sometimes.
I've tried using shadows but that doesn't help when the time of day changes.

How did you make the transition? Any tips?

You will need to find other objects in the track to use as a reference brake points, usually you have various signs that show how many meters you are from the turn, if you don't have that you need to find other references like a mark in the asphalt or anything that you can memorize and see well from distance.

but when you are comfortable with the track can use your instinct to brake.

For me it was just a lot of repetition.

I used to religiously follow the driving line assist, but then at some point midway through GT6's life cycle I landed myself in a lobby where the host shut of basically all the assists but ABS. I missed braking points all over the place, but I slowly became somewhat familiar with the tracks that kept cycling. What I found was that the racing line actually held me back from learning to drive a track, I was basically playing a game of follow the leader rather than thinking about how and where to put my car in relation to the circuit's path.

If you want to break off the racing line/braking/apex cone assists, though this isn't exactly how I learned (I learned while simultaneously teaching myself how to tune suspension on underpowered cars in GT6 seasonal event races), my advice would be to just solo hot lap on a track, or maybe join a track day type lobby (if you prefer the social aspect) and just figure out your way around the track. Eventually you'll pick up on the limits of your car(s) and how it feels to turn in/out at different speeds, and take note of static visual cues, and you'll be able to all take this knowledge to other tracks and figure it out as you go. If you turn the racing markers back on every time to get to a new track you won't ever "learn how to learn" - think of the assists like training wheels - you won't learn to ride without them if you never take them off.

Watch some track guides on YouTube. Off the top of my head thekie, tidgney, and z28gaming all point out braking references. Once you know what to look out for you'll begin to see them on every track.

Use anything you see on track and try to find marker that you'll still be able to see even when racing. I use shadow, paint of different colors, rumble on the side, anything that you can visually identify and importantly won't be destroyed.

Back