Need help with Custom Race settings on Daytona

• Thread starter wlashack
  • 9 comments
Czech Republic
Czech Republic
wlashack
Hello,
I am trying to find proper race settings for best „nascar race atmosphere“ on Daytona e.g.
I tried 30 laps, 20 cars, 2 pit stops, hard AI difficulty, One Make cars and chose a fast car that runs 300 km/h (cca 187 mph) and I started from the last grid position.

It was pretty fine and tough until I made it to the first place (which became realively quickly = in second round). I had to use slipstream to move forwards, cars run tight each other… Everything worked as I expected so far. BUT…

…after getting to first position it seemed like my car becam qicker than others. Gap between me and others started to raise and the rest of the race I was driving alone. After leaving pit it seemed like my car is a rocket and I overatook others very easily until I became alone again.

Any suggestions/experiences with „nascar“ racing against AI that can help prepare a really tough fun race?

Thanks!

You need to reduce the power of your car.
The AI doesnt go full throttle (as you can see in replays) quite often and when there is too much stuff going on on their predistined lines, it simply doesnt know what to do at all.
Which is why the AI cars in premade races are not close but split into fast and slow groups.

Thanks, it sounds well.
Question is if I reduce power of my car also other cars will be reduced the same way or not.

Thanks, it sounds well.
Question is if I reduce power of my car also other cars will be reduced the same way or not.
Yes if the AI are given the exact same car you're driving, if the AI are given different cars then no.

Ex. I drive a Red CLK-LM, AI 1 has a Silver one and AI 2 has a Blue one, if I give AI 3 my red one with 400HP and the other 2 have the default 599 HP the red one will be slow like mine.

Also as mentioned turning boost on weak makes custom races much harder atleast for me particularly with Gr.2 and Gr.1 custom races.

Last edited:
Thanks for tips. I made some tests and found:
  • If I reduce my car performance (via Limiter), AI cars are not affected by it even in One Make mode (they run faster than me after the race starts)
  • If I set Boost in Custom race options to Weak or Strong, it does not help in nascar type of race. It only keeps cars close behind which means nothing because on Daytona you run full speed all the course and AI can never catch you
I tried to set both Boost to Strong and Limiter to 85%. And found that AI does not run consistently. First 2 laps it constantly increased the gap between my car and the rest of cars in front of me (up to cca 4 sec), but then they all slowed down so I started approaching them slightly for next 2 rounds and when the gap was about 1 sec they all slowed down even more so I overtook 10 of them in a single turn (from the outside) and the rest during the next lap. And then I run alone again without any attacks on my leading position.

Due to the above written I think there is no way to make AI cars battle on nascar type rings where player does not make „braking mistakes“ while turning. On „traditional“ race circuits you never run consistently so AI may take advantage of the opportunities when you slow down more than needed. But in Nascar you do not brake so AI cannot attack you once you overtake.

Of course I could be wrong, these are just my observations from Custom Races I've tried to set up using your tips. If you have some otther ideas, please post them here.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I do use Professional Difficulty if this is what you mean.
I try to set Custom Race as realistic as it can be with respect to make it the most challenging as it can be.

Last edited:
You’ll need to load up the race with a matching tune to the AI and THEN lower your car’s power in order to see the best results, in my experience. Seems the game will realign to your car and give the player the advantage, frustratingly. I keep a second tune sheet for “me” and merely flip to it after starting the race lobby. Could be worth a shot, had you been creating the race with the underpowered car. I use 90-95 on power restrictor, most of the time. Boost weak, BoP off (though I am not the authority here), everything else doesn’t matter too much.

Even at its best, the AI will follow you tightly and capitalize on mistakes as opposed to properly battling and overtaking the player. Interestingly, I actually find Daytona Tri-Oval to be the best track for losing positions to the AI as the slipstream continually shuffles the leaders. One mistake (a.k.a. the AI shoves you) and the pack is gone for good, however. It’s easier for me to run patiently in the middle rather than go for the lead…

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back