Need help with steering technique

• Thread starter FakeID341
  • 10 comments
Canada
Montreal
FakeID341
I'm new to drifting and being somewhat of a perfectionist i'm worried about developing bad steering habits. I've been looking all over the internet for explanations regarding the steering technique used by drifters but even watching onboard videos didn't help me understand what is going on. The drivingfast.net drifting guide recommends not to let the wheel run between your hands but most drifters seem to let go of the wheel and catch it so i'm confused. If you could explain how YOU handle the steering wheel while drifting that would be very helpful.

90% of the drifters let go, as do I. It is definitely possible to drift well by letting go. :)

Thing is, the best way to drift is by guiding the steering wheel with your hands, even during transitions etc. :)

Will be uploading a video of this, if I can find it.

Edit, couldn't find it so I'll be passing on this one :)

Last edited:
You don't move the Wheel, it moves itself with what you do on the pedals
That has to be the general idea, of course

When parked, Start by watching your car from the front outside view
Then make with your wheel 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 lap and then 1 lap 1/4 to be on lock

Watch the angle of your front wheels each time
Since you always need to countersteer to point the direction you go,
You'll Know "how much wheel you need for a given angle"

A small angle and you don't have to move your hands, a bigger one Will ask you to put
3/4 or More, on lock being your aim at all Times to get maximum angle :)

The speed the car gets that angle indicates you at wich speed you have to put the good
Input at the wheel
If you Throw your car at the Max angle as quickly as possible,
You'll Know you have to counterteer full lock so fast that you let it go between your
Fingers because it is the only way to match the movement of the car
If the car takes its angle smoothly to get to a big one, then you just have to go on lock gently
By moving your hands gently like when you drive irl

Hope it's clear and it can help to start
Love makes practice, practive makes perfect

Last edited:
Steering technique helps define a driver I think, what ever feels natural and still gives a good result. I wouldn't go and say you have to stick with only one way. This probably doesn't help you at all,but just some food for thought.

I generally use both hands, my right being more dominant, and only really relying on my left for stability, and during transitions. This is due to having to shift gears and handbrake with my left. And yes I tend to let the wheel spin through my fingers. However of late I have been getting bored and clapping during my transitions to help cure some boredom lol. Also, and this only applies to gt, but I tend to keep moving the wheel slightly so I can feel the road through the wheel. Holding it still for too long seems to loose forcefeed back. And makes me spin.

Thanks for the replies everyone! So when you do use your hands to turn the wheel, how do you do it (push and pull, crossing hands, turning it with one hand, etc.)? Is there an optimal technique?

Thanks for the replies everyone! So when you do use your hands to turn the wheel, how do you do it (push and pull, crossing hands, turning it with one hand, etc.)? Is there an optimal technique?
everything depending on the situation...

fast crossing hands to start the drift
push and pull to countersteer if the car takes the angle slowly
letting it slide in one hand and ready to go back to crossing hands after a full turn if it slides fast
turning with one hand for shift or handbrake
whatever feels good for you and your car

if you're really new to drifting, watch CAREFULLY the video above first!
He is more talking about what you should do with your pedals than with the wheel ;)
practice it in the game, the rest will come itself

come back in one month and be patient, have fun with every little move you learn :)

Push, pull steering is the most BS driving technique on the planet. They teach it here in the UK, as soon as I passed I stopped using it.

Back