Need Help with SVG and Inkscape

• Thread starter DanB7290
  • 2 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to actually using the livery editor on GT Sport, but have been playing GT games ever since the first one back on the old PS1. Anyway, I'm just starting to get the hang of the Livery Editor, and have done a few liveries using mostly decals found in the Discover section.

I thought I'd have a crack at making my own decals, and I absolutely suck at it. I'm using Inkscape on a Mac. I can do very basic ones, in black, by tracing the bitmap, and then I use them in the game and change the colour to suit. My difficulty is in making decals with colour in them. I can get it so the image looks exactly how I want it to, but then the file size is way too big.

I'm using SVGomg to reduce the file size, and it's making the image look blurred. See below for an example:

>

It's irritating me, as I see all the cracking looking images on the GT website but I can't get mine looking like that!

Any help greatly appreciated, but I must warn you I'll need it explaining as if I were 5 years old. I am very new to Inkscape! Thank you!!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to actually using the livery editor on GT Sport, but have been playing GT games ever since the first one back on the old PS1. Anyway, I'm just starting to get the hang of the Livery Editor, and have done a few liveries using mostly decals found in the Discover section.

I thought I'd have a crack at making my own decals, and I absolutely suck at it. I'm using Inkscape on a Mac. I can do very basic ones, in black, by tracing the bitmap, and then I use them in the game and change the colour to suit. My difficulty is in making decals with colour in them. I can get it so the image looks exactly how I want it to, but then the file size is way too big.

I'm using SVGomg to reduce the file size, and it's making the image look blurred. See below for an example:

>

It's irritating me, as I see all the cracking looking images on the GT website but I can't get mine looking like that!

Any help greatly appreciated, but I must warn you I'll need it explaining as if I were 5 years old. I am very new to Inkscape! Thank you!!
Hello @DanB7290 and welcome.

Your image doesn’t show, but I can bet that you are trying to auto-trace some logo or image, which create a lot of nodes in Inkscape, hence the big file size. It works for simple shapes or logos, but for complex drawings the best way is to trace them manually.

You will find some easy tutorials in this thread :
User Decals - A Tutorial On How To Make .SVG (Request in separate thread)

You can also ask there for more details if you need specific informations.

Also, if you really struggle with one particular decal, there is a request thread where the community can help you creating the decals you wish.

SVG request thread

Before any request (or before spending a full evening drawing a decal yourself), use this search engine to see if the decal is not already shared. The algorithm of this one is FAR better than the official one.

GTSwiki decal search engine

I know that felling well believe me. One thing you might want to try is YouTube. I've found this to be very help full. I also picked up a book from Amazon that I use also. Good luck.

garystevens64

Back