Need help with the TVR Speed 12!

• Thread starter Kendonnel
  • 9 comments
Hungary
Hungary
meatsosoig
Sziasztok!

I'm new to this site, but I suppose this is the best place to ask my question.

GT2 players will remember this car from the grinding, as it give half a million for being sold. But recently I found out this car RIPS.

The main issue I have with this car is the handling. You can outspeed most of the cars in the game on a straight, however, upon entering a corner you understeer, then oversteer.

This is realistic though, as a >850kg 800HP car isnt the most stable.

I heard that TCS helps this car, but I don't know how to use it's settings. It's possible that the RM could also helps, but I don't want that, I just love the purple color.

TCS in GT2 is somewhat broken - @submaniac93 has done some good research on the TCS and found that the default setting does nothing, so you'll want to bump it up as high as it goes as a starting point. Softer tyre upgrades will do a lot of good too, as it's only on Medium compound stock.

The Speed 12 is always going to be ferocious to drive however - the reason it never became a production car is because the boss of TVR himself drove the prototype home one night and was so terrified that he decided he couldn't morally sell it to unsuspecting members of the public.

TCS in GT2 is somewhat broken - @submaniac93 has done some good research on the TCS and found that the default setting does nothing, so you'll want to bump it up as high as it goes as a starting point. Softer tyre upgrades will do a lot of good too, as it's only on Medium compound stock.

The Speed 12 is always going to be ferocious to drive however - the reason it never became a production car is because the boss of TVR himself drove the prototype home one night and was so terrified that he decided he couldn't morally sell it to unsuspecting members of the public.

Thank you! This does help, I didn't know another broken thing in GT2 was the TCS. That fact about why this was never a production car is also pretty interesting.

Yeah TCS is completely broken. Not only does the default value (iirc) level 2 kills it, but its sensitivity is way too low to actually do much. Put it on the max and... Yeah that's all you can get in vanilla gt2 ^^'

Kind of, the original Project 12/7 concept which bred the first Speed 12 as featured in GT2 was entirely designed around the old GT1 race class. Unfortunately the GT1 class was rejigged and the Speed 12 became obsolete after only a handful of races and before the production car was ready. So that ended the original Speed 12.

Not all was lost however as Peter Wheeler (the TVR owner at the time) still wanted to build a car for motorsport and super high performance car on the road. So they moved on to the Cerbera Speed 12, which is the one we've had since GT3 and that was built with GT2 in mind. It was that car that Wheeler drove home and on doing so decided it was unusable on the road and cancelled the cars orders and handed the deposits back. The race car continued on for some years until a solitary road car was finally sold by TVR in 2003 via Autotrader.

Buying that car involved meeting Wheeler in person beforehand and going through an interview process.I beleive it has since changed hands at least once.

Last edited:
Yeah, I skipped the full detail of it evolving into the Cerbera version and so forth for brevity, didn't want to derail too much. It's the same 800bhp after all.

Yeah, I skipped the full detail of it evolving into the Cerbera version and so forth for brevity, didn't want to derail too much. It's the same 800bhp after all.
Fair enough, if you can't tell by my avatar I kind of like TVR's, so I'm more than happy going into detail about them :lol:.

Cool history

Kind of, the original Project 12/7 concept which bred the first Speed 12 as featured in GT2 was entirely designed around the old GT1 race class. Unfortunately the GT1 class was rejigged and the Speed 12 became obsolete after only a handful of races and before the production car was ready. So that ended the original Speed 12.

Not all was lost however as Peter Wheeler (the TVR owner at the time) still wanted to build a car for motorsport and super high performance car on the road. So they moved on to the Cerbera Speed 12, which is the one we've had since GT3 and that was built with GT2 in mind. It was that car that Wheeler drove home and on doing so decided it was unusable on the road and cancelled the cars orders and handed the deposits back. The race car continued on for some years until a solitary road car was finally sold by TVR in 2003 via Autotrader.

Buying that car involved meeting Wheeler in person beforehand and going through an interview process.I beleive it has since changed hands at least once.
All thanks to Porsche for killing GT1.

Not surprised that many programs like this got killed off because Porsche exploited a loophole.

Alright, here's how I made the Speed 12 drivable, even without racing modifications or TCS:

1: equip super soft racing tyres. Tyre durability is non-existent in this game, so always equip the softest tyres.

2: apply the 'gear trick'. The Speed 12's stock gearbox is awful and makes 1st through 3rd gear unusable due to wheelspin. By setting up the gears in a specific way, not only can we make 2nd and 3rd gear usable (1st gear is unsalvageable), we can give the car extremely close gears for great acceleration.

Here is how to set it up:

Move the final gear all the way to the right by holding right + R1
Move the auto setup slider all the way to the left (don’t move the slider after this, or the gears will reset and you’ll have to start over)
Move the final gear all the way to the left by holding left + L1
Move both 1st and 2nd gear all the way to the left
Move both 5th and 6th gear all the way to the right
Put 3rd 1/3 of the way right, and 4th 2/3's of the way right

3: max out the LSD Inital and Accel, to prevent excessive oversteer when exiting corners. Set LSD Decel. to 30.

4: set up the suspension as so:

springs: 20.0 / 6.0
ride height: 85 / 85
dampers (B + R): 3 / 2
camber: 2.5 / 4.5
toe: 0.00 / -2.0
stabilisers: 7 / 4

5: drive in manual. This is probably the most important thing you can do to control the car. The golden rule of driving the Speed 12 is to never use 1st gear. Even for very slow corners like the last turn of Laguna Seca, you need to stay in 2nd gear or you'll spin out.

I'd still recommend going for racing modifications, because the Speed 12's braking distances aren't great and downforce can help with that. It's still manageable without it though. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back