Need help with Windows!? (after update)

I also posted in the windows 10 thread, but I think this warrants its own topic, because I really need some specific tips, I don't know my computer anymore...! :lol

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/windows-10.315796/page-38#post-11788269

Ok main problem : When I go into settings -> privacy -> general
It tells me "you need to activate Windows to make changes" or something like that.

But windows is activated.

So, what does this mean? Should I just ignore it?

It's not like I could activate it anyways, since it already is activated. :odd:

And the other thing is a bit more tricky to explain. For example if I click on "Bluetooth" in settings it just opens the overview page where you can see your specs and stuff (cpu gpu ram windows version and so on)

Or if I click on "bit locker" it goes to the exact same page. Like....?

I know for sure that wasn't the case previously, it would just go directly to where it's supposed to (in this example "bit locker settings").

So I'm just wondering is this normal for this new build or is my system still messed up somehow?

It really feels like it's in some weird twilight stage between the old build and "creators update" which I already know is coming. If I can't avoid it, ha!

It also has this option where it says
"Do you want to get into the windows insider program?" Which is definitely new... (too me)
And I most definitely DON'T want this...

So yeah... I really need answers for these two questions...!

I'd also love to get rid of this "insider program invitation" but I can't really imagine that's possible.

Unless I try to remove the last 2, 3 updates?

*sigh* I hope here are some people who are more knowledgeable than me!

And "get Linux" is not an option (mah games). :lol :(

Last edited:
Happened to me also when I installed a new WLAN Card. That happens when you install a new "hardware" in Windows 10. http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

Edit: You said you have a new build so assumed "this" is your problem.
With new build I meant the windows build itself, I'm not sure if that's how it's called sorry, but this definitely seems to be a new version of Windows 10. But if you're saying you had similar issues I'll give this a look.

However I did *not* add any hardware or anything. Just removed the last update because the computer really took forever to boot (which is now fixed).

Ok after reading this it looks like a very good answer, because at least the first picture looks almost exactly like on my laptop, except it says "windows is activated with a digital license" (no account), however in the second picture on windowscentral it actually says "not activated" and that it can't be activated (because hardware was changed).

On my laptop it says "windows is activated"...?

I think I still need to go through this activation process again maybe (when I bought my laptop it actually activated itself by just going into settings) since it obviously *thinks* it's not activated for whatever reason?

Maybe it's enough to just go online and it'll "activate" itself again...?

The only relevant entry I'm finding so far is this
http://news.softpedia.com/news/easy...mulative-update-kb4013429-issues-514030.shtml

Note that my laptop ran absolutely flawless until windows downloaded and "installed" this update.
Also note it took very very long to actually install, which was weird since it's supposed to be just a "security (or cumulative) update". Like , it took 1-2 hours or so, way longer than an update usually takes.

And lastly, they say "easy fix" but there's unfortunately nothing easy about this whole situation. It's just frustrating and doesn't make much sense to me.

Whoah! I didn't received any notifications about your reply so sorry if this is late. As far as I remembered I put the Microsoft Product Key (the code that comes with your purchase) in "Change the Product Key" section instead of "troubleshooting" section as I already have a product key.

Whoah! I didn't received any notifications about your reply so sorry if this is late. As far as I remembered I put the Microsoft Product Key (the code that comes with your purchase) in "Change the Product Key" section instead of "troubleshooting" section as I already have a product key.
No problem...! It's not too late as I didn't do anything yet - there isn't really a point in screwing around for me and possibly making things worse.
But yeah - I don't understand at all why it tells me on one screen windows isn't activated (and I supposedly can't therefore make any changes) and on another screen which is I think system overview it tells me "windows is activated".

And well, I could of course try this with the product key, even though it *has* the product key and I obviously don't have another one.

I might just go to a repair shop I know and ask them for help. The guy there is really fit, but yeah I shouldn't have to do this after only owning the laptop around 2 months.

Might just go windows 7 if all fails lol. :/

Is this a laptop or PC we talking about? If its a laptop then the Product Key is written on the underside of the laptop.If its PC then its on the CD box of the Windows 8/10.

The idea here is to reactivate Windows by inputting the Key again.

Is this a laptop or PC we talking about? If its a laptop then the Product Key is written on the underside of the laptop.If its PC then its on the CD box of the Windows 8/10.

The idea here is to reactivate Windows by inputting the Key again.

It's a laptop. It doesn't have a product key anywhere besides in Windows itself.

I got this laptop from one or probably the biggest online stores for laptops in Germany (notebooksbilliger), and I don't think they use fake keys or anything. (however it's odd they don't give out any CD's or indeed these little stickers with the product keys)

Like I already said the first time I had to activate Windows it would tell me so in a message, I clicked on it and it changed to system settings saying "windows is now successfully activated".

Not getting any messages of this kind now.

I think you just have to bring it to a laptop repair shop just to be safe.
Yeah, unfortunately I think so too, especially since this isn't my only problem, there are a ton of things different than before, like Steam acting up, Windows keeps trying to open Chrome (when I do something like clicking on a help link) it always opened those with the edge browser instead (I did set edge to my default browser). And as mentioned other things are acting up as well.

So yeah, someone needs to fix all that stuff.

Yeah, unfortunately I think so too, especially since this isn't my only problem, there are a ton of things different than before, like Steam acting up, Windows keeps trying to open Chrome (when I do something like clicking on a help link) it always opened those with the edge browser instead (I did set edge to my default browser). And as mentioned other things are acting up as well.

So yeah, someone needs to fix all that stuff.

... so contacting Microsoft didn't help?

So you haven't. Fine.
I read your posts, and I also read the pages you linked.

Your problem is with MICROSOFT software. Hence, it behooves you to contact MICROSOFT. You refuse to do so.

I even gave you a link to reach them.

Has it occurred to you that this problem exists and hasn't been solved because Microsoft isn't aware of the problem, because everybody is looking on Softpedia instead of the only organization that can do something about it?

Ok main problem : When I go into settings -> privacy -> general
It tells me "you need to activate Windows to make changes" or something like that.

Not that you need to run the process as Administrator? (Don't think using the "main" account makes you admin by default)

But windows is activated.

So, what does this mean? Should I just ignore it?

It's not like I could activate it anyways, since it already is activated. :odd:

It means you need to contact Microsoft if you're genuinely getting conflicting messages about the product activation

It also has this option where it says
"Do you want to get into the windows insider program?" Which is definitely new... (too me)
And I most definitely DON'T want this...

So yeah... I really need answers for these two questions...!

I'd also love to get rid of this "insider program invitation" but I can't really imagine that's possible.

Just keep saying no, it's not mandatory.

I read your posts, and I also read the pages you linked.

Your problem is with MICROSOFT software. Hence, it behooves you to contact MICROSOFT. You refuse to do so.

I even gave you a link to reach them.

Has it occurred to you that this problem exists and hasn't been solved because Microsoft isn't aware of the problem, because everybody is looking on Softpedia instead of the only organization that can do something about it?

Not enough people on the Insiders program giving feedback about the product ;)

@H20HYBRID_GT you've paid for a product that comes with support - just use the damned support! :D

Not that you need to run the process as Administrator? (Don't think using the "main" account makes you admin by default)

It means you need to contact Microsoft if you're genuinely getting conflicting messages about the product activation

Just keep saying no, it's not mandatory.

Not enough people on the Insiders program giving feedback about the product ;)

@H20HYBRID_GT you've paid for a product that comes with support - just use the damned support! :D

Well yeah I'm pretty sure the account is an administrator account because that's how I set it up and it's the only one on this computer.

And yes while this activate Windows thing is a problem it's not really my main problem, that's the obviously messed up update - which was then somehow magically -since I've been offline all the time since I removed the problematic update - replaced by another one. I don't think this latest update is causing issues though as the laptop runs really fast again.

And lastly you're totally right, I should contact the seller as I even got a 3 year extended warranty and I'm fairly certain they would have a solution somehow. Problem with that is I'll be away at the end of this week and I need my laptop working 100% by then.

Which is why I thought of going to that repair shop - they hopefully can fix it in a day or even quicker.

But thanks for reminding me - I'll definitely call the seller first, see what they're saying! :)

Well yeah I'm pretty sure the account is an administrator account because that's how I set it up and it's the only one on this computer.

Again, that's not the same thing. Try right-clicking and running some processes as Administrator and you'll see that you need to resupply your credentials. That's to stop people undertaking Admin procs on an account that you've left logged in.

Find something like this under your laptop.
2017-04-24-18-54-57.png

That's where you find your Product Key.

Then re-enter it here.
windows-10-activation-troubleshooter.jpg

We have the same problem. That's how I solved it.

Find something like this under your laptop.
View attachment 643239
That's where you find your Product Key.

Then re-enter it here.
View attachment 643240

We have the same problem. That's how I solved it.
Yeah I'm aware of this process. And I appreciate the help. However as I said laptops don't come with those stickers anymore. It's saved in the computer, I shouldn't have to input it manually.
I see it right there in the system overview.

The real problem is the messed up update - and I honestly want to avoid the easiest solution which would be to install Windows fresh. No time for this I'd probably lose a ton of stuff - I don't even have a back up program like Acronis which would be needed for such a procedure. Plus I really shouldn't have to do that just because Microsoft likes to throw untested updates on people. (if you read the comments to the links I posted, a lot of people with "new" laptops have issues with the update, just like I do and simply removing the update didn't really fix much, except admittedly the laptop is now running a bit better again)

As for the "stickers" :

https://support.notebooksbilliger.de/hc/de/articles/213147385-Wo-finde-ich-meinen-Windows-8-Windows-10-Lizenzschlüssel-?mobile_site=true
Wo finde ich meinen Windows 8 / Windows 10 Lizenzschlüssel?
NBB TeamYesterday at 6:30 PM

Auf vielen PCs und Notebooks mit vorinstalliertem Windows 8 befindet sich kein Aufkleber mit dem Aktivierungs-Key mehr. Stattdessen wird der Windows-Key direkt im BIOS gespeichert. Er muss nicht mehr manuell bei der Aktivierung eingegeben werden.

Die Hersteller möchten so den Missbrauch mit Windows-Lizenzkeys erschweren.

Quick translation: "many notebooks don't come with a Windows (8/10) activation code sticker anymore. The Windows key is saved in the bios instead. It does not have to be input manually anymore.

The manufacturers want to make abuse with Windows license keys harder with this measurement."

I thought that's a known thing as it is like that for many years now.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions, I know what I have to do, my only problem is I have little time at the moment. Gotta try going to the repair shop tomorrow (which is in another town 20km away unfortunately).

Ok I called the seller they say I would need to send the system in for them to check (obviously). And I didn't have the time yet to go to the repair store - but I'll still try somehow before I'll leave (for vacation).

I'm still not entirely sure, if there even is a problem it could be windows is just needlessly confusing? Plus the latest update really changed things around so that's not helping either.
So, maybe this is "normal" after all? I'm not sure...

Please read the descriptions also, it's a really simple issue seemingly, except I don't know how to solve it if it even needs solving.

Again: There is no way to input my product key seemingly.
Because it already has the product key?

Again, that's not the same thing. Try right-clicking and running some processes as Administrator and you'll see that you need to resupply your credentials. That's to stop people undertaking Admin procs on an account that you've left logged in.

Did. This is what happens.

Click > Yes > opens program?

I have windows 10, I have my product key, I can't input the product key anywhere.

PS: @ULTRAVIOLENZZ You see in your picture it says "is NOT activated" , on my computer it says "IS activated".

See the difference?

Last edited:
Again: There is no way to input my product key seemingly.
Because it already has the product key?

I have windows 10, I have my product key, I can't input the product key anywhere.

Try the following.

Right click the start button and select Command Prompt(Admin)

Type in and hit enter when done
slmgr.vbs /upk
This willl remove the product key, this will make the copy of windows unlicensed and unactivated, restart after using this command.

slmgr.vbs /ipk #####-#####-#####-#####-#####
This will add a license key to windows, just replace # with the key

slmgr.vbs /ato
This will activate online

Only do this if you know what your key is.

Not sure where you're located but I had a machine at work that wouldn't let me re-activate it online so I had to do it over the phone. Took a while to key everything in but it worked.

TB
Not sure where you're located but I had a machine at work that wouldn't let me re-activate it online so I had to do it over the phone. Took a while to key everything in but it worked.

I know I probably didn't really explain the problem really well. This activate Windows thing is irritating like hell, but not my main problem or not even a problem at all, because it says on the system overview "windows is activated (with a digital license)".

My problem is or maybe was that my laptop was suddenly really slow after a cumulative windows update. And I think it's still not working quite like it should.

So I'm back at home now and figured I'd try to install all available updates, Windows, nvidia namely.

And uh... there were like 4 or 5 windows 10 updates so I downloaded them, but installation failed twice for each of them... So I tried some troubleshooting and finally it installed all updates.

Strangely the same thing happened afterwards with the nvidia driver update - failed the first time - had to delete all settings, then it worked, but it took forever.. like 30 minutes..!

I know for sure a nvidia driver update shouldn't take longer than 3-4 minutes from experience.

So yeah. It worked and the laptop seems a bit faster again, but obviously something still isn't quite right sadly.

Lol when the nvidia update got stuck I checked task manager and the harddrive was stuck at 100% for several minutes.

I don't think it's a hardware issue though as it's a new laptop and it only started to get slow after that obviously borked cumulative windows 10 update.

Anyways, if I don't get it fixed by myself or the next update which will be the infamous creators update I'll have to go to that repair shop, which is all kinds of messed up for a new laptop...

And retuning to the seller isn't the greatest option either because who knows what I'll get in exchange - this laptop was kinda hard to find you know.

It's frustrating and well, I couldn't hate Microsoft more than I already do, but yeah I totally blame them and their "OS as a service" nonsense. :mad

I don't think it's a hardware issue though as it's a new laptop and it only started to get slow after that obviously borked cumulative windows 10 update.

New laptops normally fail within the first month of buying them as all the hardware is stressed,

It also seems to have issues with hibernating. Every time I resume it some things seem to not function correctly. Like Steam not recognizing my controller. And those little icons on the desktop and taskbar take forever to load - definitely not normal. That never used to happen before the issues arised. Not even that slow on my 10 year old desktop pc (which was no slouch anyways - 2 minutes for a cold boot on xp).

New laptops normally fail within the first month of buying them as all the hardware is stressed,

That's always possible - but if you read about the problems other people had with this same update (which I've linked to above), they basically all had similar problems (laptop being slow, problems with updating windows) but unfortunately I didn't really see someone actually having fixed the issues, so that's certainly odd.
I've checked, the system has zero errors, be it cpu, memory, applications, drivers, hardware ... If there was an actual hardware issue it would at least give me a few errors surely?

Ok update on the situation.

I wasn't crazy - I just checked a couple of things I thought were odd about my windows and it's seemingly back to normal - question is how can this happen...

Apps associated with websites. "Brightness"

It doesn't make any sense, but that's what it said...

Now, the same screen looks like this:

Associate apps with websites - ok.

And the thing is almost every option and setting was messed up like this...

There was no way for me to operate windows normally - and I still need to check everything to see if some things are still messed up... :/

And btw "You must activate Windows before you can make any changes." has changed to "Some settings are controlled by your organization."

Is that at least normal?

It still seems a bit strange to me.

I also didn't know I own a organization. :lol:

Back