Need ideas for first bike!

• Thread starter ETID
  • 20 comments
United Kingdom
Eastbourne, UK
oOo-ETID-oOo
Hey guys,

Just wandering if anyone knew any decent starter bikes?

At the moment I'm on a little 50cc 4 stroke scooter and am taking my restricted licence in December before the laws change in January (UK).

It has to be under 33hp as I'll be on a restricted licence and I want something bigger than a 125cc. I was looking at a Kawasaki ER5 and read some good reviews.

media

Does anyone know any other decent bikes, looking at a top speed of around 70-80 baring in mind it needs to be 33hp and I have a budjet of £2000.

Cheers.

I did look at the Ninja 250R's but their too expensive. I need something around £1500-£2000. The Kawasaki ER5's go for £1500 on a few websites (secondhand). I also saw a Honda CG250 but it kinda looks old haha :lol:

It depends on the style of bike you want. I bought a naked as my first bike because it's meant to be cheaper to fix in case I dropped it. However if you want a sports bike it's probably better to get one of those because you won't be happy with the looks of a naked.
I recommend looking at a VTR250, CB250(lowest power of the 3) or a GS500. All are reliable bikes that don't make much power.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

I took my theory test last week and failed by 2 marks, so I'll have to retake it.

I found a few nice bikes at 33hp, a Yamaha FZR600 and a Honda CG250 withing my budget. Any ideas on these?

How are the 600's restricted? If it's something simple it might be tempting to remove.
I can't find the CG250 doing a quick search but I can find a CG125.

I've seen the FZR600 in the flesh before and it does look nice. If it's in good condition I say why not. Also it'll have way more torque than the 250. The weight might be a problem at low speeds (walking pace) however once moving shouldn't be a problem.

If you can, get the FZR! I bought my GS500 with practically no experience and it has never felt heavy while on it, and I'm only 5'7" 150 pounds. The FZR600 weighs 19 pounds more than my GS. Get it if you can swing it

The 600's are restricted like crazy, apparently they run pretty poorly with only a quarter of the air intake area.

I doubt it'll be hard to fix that little issue... I love America though, I could have bought a Hayabusa before I got my license :lol:

You can buy a Hayabusa before you get your licence here too, you just can't ride it legally.

I own a 1995 Cagiva Elefant 750 Lucky Explorer, if you can find one go for it.Quicker, lighter and smoother than a Honda Africa Twin too and reliable.Despite being italian very likable bike.Has air and oil cooled Ducati 750cc Pantah engine in, that they used to race in the 70's.

I think I'll have to have a look nearer the time as that FZR600 went within a day of it being up, it had 35K miles though and looked like it could have a few problems.

That's only 56,000km, that's not many on a 600cc bike. (depending on how it was ridden)
Good luck with the bike hunt.

Back