Need some help with my phone

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • 2 comments

Obelisk

Premium
United States
United States
RMedia_Obelisk
Hi guys, and thank you in advance for any answers or lack of answers.

So I have a ZTE ZMax Pro, fully up to date and in relatively good shape. I've been using a USB to charge it in my car while I'm commuting to and from work.
Well, last night, the wire self-destructed:
IMG_20180117_220832.jpg

It heated up to melting point in less than three minutes, and it smelled like it was starting to catch fire. It slightly warped the plastic surrounding the charging port but the phone was otherwise unaffected, or so I thought.

Fast forward to this morning, when I took it off the charger I keep at home (different brand, higher quality) and...it won't boot. I brought it up to my dad, who helped me boot it into FTM mode and then forced a normal boot. It gave me the "Slow charger" prompt on the lock screen, but it was responding to the charger. It seemed to be really insistent on staying at 5% though. I decided to see if I could boot it up again so I turned it off.

And now it refuses to load, even into FTM mode. It won't respond to the charger either. What happened to it and how do I fix it?

EDIT: Just got it to boot again.

Last edited:
Did you manage to get the phone back to full working order?

You have to be careful with 3rd party or budget USB C cables as the amps going through them can cause them to overheat.

Did you manage to get the phone back to full working order?

You have to be careful with 3rd party or budget USB C cables as the amps going through them can cause them to overheat.
The phone was back to normal after two days.

Back