Needing help on computer specs

• Thread starter rockstar95
  • 15 comments
rockstar95_86
I'm looking into what computer to buy or what computer parts to get to have a computer shop build one for me. I've done some research on the parts and what they cost... I'm a tight*** with money, so we need to keep that in mind.

My first question is, do I need an Intel i7 CPU or will the i5 CPU be ok as long as we are around 3.0 GHZ or more? Is it worth the extra money to where it is a noticeable difference in iRacing or is it about how much you want to spend? From what I've read, more GHZ is better.

Cooling... I read that a liquid cooled computer is more maintenance and requires someone with computer knowledge to work on it? Hoping someone can shed more light on that topic.

Windows 7, 8, or 10? Seems like I have seen people lean towards Windows 7 for iRacing, but that could have changed from when the articles and posts were made.

I plan on using around a 32 inch monitor if possible and what graphics card would handle something of that size.

I'm also hoping someone can give me some knowledge on what AMD processors are good and equivalent to the i3, i5 and i7 so that I can know what to look for if I stumble upon an AMD setup.

Most importantly, I'm only looking to spend $400-$700 or so on a pc, so anything in that range is what I am looking for.

Any other information will be greatly appreciated!

It's been awhile since I built my PC so I maybe a little out of date...But I reckon custom builds are the way to go. Be careful of pre-made ones, sometimes their PSU's are a little weak, if you want to upgrade graphics cards etc at a later date you want to make sure your power supply can handle it.
I just run an older i5 and it still seems good running my setup, I would say try to get an SSD for your hard drive even if it just big enough for OS and iRacing, but try for as big as you can get, they are getting cheaper everyday. Ram is cheap enough as well now, so if you can get 16GB you will be set for a fair while. I wouldn't be too fussed on water cooling either, a decent fan set up will be enough for your requirements (if it saves you some money to buy other better components).
With whatever is left over get the best graphics card you can get, running a single monitor wont be too stessful, so just get what you can...They are easily upgradable later so is no big deal really.

Rockstar, I would go with an i5 for iRacing. A fast i3 would probably work fine for absolutely minimum specs. An i7 isn't necessary. A 3.3 GHz or 3.5 GHz Intel i5(I run triple screens with an i5 4590 @ 3.3 GHz, with a GTX 980) will run iRacing great. You can get a great new intel i5 processor for $200 USD. If you buy a $200 NVidia GTX 960 and at least 8GB(preferably 16GB, especially for the Nurburgring) of RAM, you would be set for MAX graphics(on a single monitor) for a while without needing upgrades.

I think you could build a nice PC for under or at $700 with those core components. You might even be able to have a computer built for $700 with those specs.

Click the link below, there are other options within, such as a 6600K as opposed to a 6500. Something along these lines would be great for someone on a budget. An R9 380 (4gb) is also viable and cheaper. An SSD would also be a nice addition. Custom built will ensure bang for the buck, it just takes a few hours to put together and you know what parts you got in the end. There are all sorts of how-to's from Linus Tech Tips, Newegg TV, Paul's hardware, and PC Part Picker. Also, a CPU cooler isn't necessary on non-K SKU CPU's but are usually quieter and have better thermal dissipation than the stock heatsink.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Nh8h6h

CPU: *Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: *Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: *Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card ($294.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $943.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-04 21:32 EDT-0400

Here's a Parts list with an R9 380 4GB card;

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gnqY6h

CPU: *Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: *Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $838.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-04 21:47 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of choices I can make. Roush, the pcpartpicker helps a lot! Still, I'm trying to learn about these computer parts and what they do and what works with what. Complicated for sure! I wonder if it'd just be best to go to a computer shop, tell them my minimum requirements, throw them some cash and let them build whatever for me. I'm going to keep researching some though and see what I can figure up.

Again, thanks for the help

Thanks for the help guys. I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of choices I can make. Roush, the pcpartpicker helps a lot! Still, I'm trying to learn about these computer parts and what they do and what works with what. Complicated for sure! I wonder if it'd just be best to go to a computer shop, tell them my minimum requirements, throw them some cash and let them build whatever for me. I'm going to keep researching some though and see what I can figure up.

Again, thanks for the help

Just keep in mind that as a business they need to make a profit and there really isn't much money to make in the raw cost, so mark ups off near retail and labor are really the main drivers of profit. There really isn't much to it after you pick the parts. Picking the parts and cable management are the hardest/most time consuming parts.

@ The OP you are welcome to follow my current ongoing build in my sig. Some kind people have already helped me and given good advice too.

Have found a lot of good things studying videos on YT for comparisons of hardware and looking for reviews of any items that I purchase to ensure I end up with a decent system. We may differ in some requirements.

I don't want the most basic or cheapest just do components want to have a system that holds well for the future and not perhaps just specifically for i-racing. Now is a bad time to be throwing down big money on a GPU with the newer ones coming which is one of the topics discussed in my own thread too.

Confused why people are quoting such money for Windows 10 PRO
I got a legit key for official download/USB fresh install for £11.50 in UK look ebay for recommend sellers.

Last edited:
I'm looking into what computer to buy or what computer parts to get to have a computer shop build one for me. I've done some research on the parts and what they cost... I'm a tight*** with money, so we need to keep that in mind.

My first question is, do I need an Intel i7 CPU or will the i5 CPU be ok as long as we are around 3.0 GHZ or more? Is it worth the extra money to where it is a noticeable difference in iRacing or is it about how much you want to spend? From what I've read, more GHZ is better.

Cooling... I read that a liquid cooled computer is more maintenance and requires someone with computer knowledge to work on it? Hoping someone can shed more light on that topic.

Windows 7, 8, or 10? Seems like I have seen people lean towards Windows 7 for iRacing, but that could have changed from when the articles and posts were made.

I plan on using around a 32 inch monitor if possible and what graphics card would handle something of that size.

I'm also hoping someone can give me some knowledge on what AMD processors are good and equivalent to the i3, i5 and i7 so that I can know what to look for if I stumble upon an AMD setup.

Most importantly, I'm only looking to spend $400-$700 or so on a pc, so anything in that range is what I am looking for.

Any other information will be greatly appreciated!
Personally I'd go a bit above and beyond iRacing's recommended specs as that can mean you don't have to spend as much money to upgrade your hardware for newer games as time goes on. If all you plan to do with the machine is play iRacing, however, then I'd say go for the recommended specs and don't spend a cent extra. :)

2 weeks ago I had the chance to run iRacing on a new PC that had the minimum requirements. It was only running a single monitor. It ran the sim, but it didn't run it very well. The framerate was low, and the graphics weren't that great. It was definitely playable and the graphics weren't at minimum. I would imagine an upgrade would be necessary before long, if you want to keep graphics options turned on, like shadows and grandstands.

Can anyone who has played iRacing recently tell me if the rig I have will run it decently now?

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67ghz (I have a CPU cooler and can overclock to around 3.0/3.1ghz if necessary)
HIS 5850 GPU
4GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
Windows 7

I built this rig about 4 years ago to play iRacing and haven't played in over 2 years.
Do I need to upgrade anything, or would this setup run the current build of iRacing at decently high settings?

Thanks for any input

Can anyone who has played iRacing recently tell me if the rig I have will run it decently now?

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67ghz (I have a CPU cooler and can overclock to around 3.0/3.1ghz if necessary)
HIS 5850 GPU
4GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
Windows 7

I built this rig about 4 years ago to play iRacing and haven't played in over 2 years.
Do I need to upgrade anything, or would this setup run the current build of iRacing at decently high settings?

Thanks for any input

Iracing has changed a lot in 2 years in regards in what you need to run it. Not trying to sound discouraging but your current setup would be lucky to even run it at all honestly much less with settings on high. I would upgrade the ram to 8gb as that is now the minimum and also try and upgrade your graphics card. I think iracing has a 5850 listed as the minimum but I had a 6850 and it was all I could do to race with it with everything on low and lot of stuff turned completely off.

Thanks for the info. It has definitely changed a lot then. When I was playing regularly just a few years ago, I could run it with all settings on high (with a single monitor) with the setup I had then. Would like to start playing again, but need to think hard about investing several hundred in extra RAM/new graphics card.

Rumor has it that the new AMD Vega chipset is due in October. Otherwise the 1070 and possibly the Polaris chipset would be great options for GPU's.

Well... After a few months of deciding, looking, researching and thinking about my options, I bought a computer to do it. Spent more than I wanted, but they were knocking off $600 off of it. I bought a HP Envy Phoenix 860... I7-6700k, GTX 980ti, 24gb of ram, ddr4, liquid cooled. I shouldn't have to upgrade anything on it for a good while, if ever again. I tried to "future-proof" it. I wanted something with good graphics, space and flow and that's what I got. Was getting serious about one or two that were a few hundred less than this one, but when I saw the specs of this HP and how it was just a little bit more, figured hell, I might as well.

Next question.... TV or monitor? I've been looking at a few Asus and AOC 27" monitors that have a refresh rate of 144, 1ms or 2ms response and they seem to be around $300-$400. My buddy is talking me into running a tv. I looked at a Vizio 40" 4k Ultra HD and it's $400. Anyone have an opinion on which might be better? Just wanting to be lag free and not bring down the performance of the computer or game. Which, with this stout computer, I should be able to handle it all no problem.

Thanks for any input

Latest Posts

Back