Negative and Positive MusicMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Diego440
  • 26 comments
  • 1,987 views

Diego440

Born to browse
Premium
Messages
12,486
Venezuela
CCS
Messages
GTP_Diego
Funnily enough, in the 10 or so pages that cover this sub-forum, not one refers to this.

I have to confess I only started thinking about this recently. I've realised there are only two types of music. "Negative Music" and "Positive Music". But in all the myriad plethora of sub-genres, not once do you see these mentioned.

So I think it's important to take a few minutes to explain these genres and thereby adding a small quantitiy of knowledge into this ocean of data called GTPlanet.


Negative Music works like this: You'll hear a song on the radio and immediately think "I like that song; it's one of the catchiest tunes I've heard in years!", so the first chance you get you buy a copy. The second time you hear it, you still like it but somehow the song doesn't seem as fresh. The third time you hear it, you notice that it really is kind of a formula song. The fourth time, you notice that it actually is a very repetitive formula song. The fifth time you hear it, you notice it is very similar to the other 39 songs that they play on the top 40 radio stations. The 10th-89th time you hear it (because they're playing it all the time on the radio and you can't change radio stations fast enough) you really begin to despise the song.

That's how Negative Music works; even though not one of the song's digital image changes, every time you hear it, the song gets progressively worse, until finally, hearing the opening notes of the song is aking to the sound of fingernails scraping the blackboard.


Positive Music is, of course, just the opposite. You'll listen to a song only because they stuck it on a CD with some other music that you already like, and you're too lazy to hit the skip button and go around it. The first time you hear this song, you think "Oh, that's one of those mediocre songs that they use to fill up CDs." The second time you hear it, you notice there are some subtle things going on that you completely missed the first time. The third time, you notice even more details that you missed before. The fourth time you realise that the melody, while not immediately catchy, is growing on you.

The eighth time you hear it, you notice you are still finding new things to like about this song. The eleventh time you hear it, you begin to think that this could become one of your all time favourite tunes. The twentieth time you hear it, you get all excited about the song, so you grab your CD, rush over to a friend's house and say "Man, you GOTTA hear this!", and after you play it, your friend says "I think that's one of those mediocre songs they use to fill up CDs" and you go "What?! Are you freakin' DEAF??!!", and then...

But you get the idea. Positive Music somehow gets better every single time you hear it.

Share your experiences with negative and positive music.

I think one of my worst experiences with Negative Music was with Apollo440's Stop The Rock, to the point that I can't listen to it nowadays. Best with Positive Music was definitely Metallica's Disposable Heroes.
 
Positive Music: Anything and everything by Pink Floyd, Dredg, Audioslave, Dream Theater (to an extent), Tool
 
I would say the best example for Negative Music would be Nickelback. At first I really liked the songs, but the more I played them the more I got bored, until I stopped listening to the band alltogether.

I'm not quite sure on Positive Music, since it takes a couple listens for me to get used to the album. So that would make most of the CD I listen to, Positive Music. Usually, I like the song on the radio, then I listen to the album. After a couple listens, I find a couple songs I like better than the one played on the radio. I guess Tool's 10,000 Days would be the strongest example.
 
Positive Music: Anything and everything by Pink Floyd, Dredg, Audioslave, Dream Theater (to an extent), Tool


Mmmm, dredg :drool:
If you have a musical mind it's alot harder to get sucked into liking those 'negative' songs. Yeah, it might be catchy but you know it really sucks and the only thing keeping you listening is a certain melody or a tiny portion of the song from the start. That's why those types of songs die quickly, there's only a tiny bit of bait to keep you hooked, it's just that some people know it's not even worth their time, and they usually keep their radios off.
 
99% of pop music is negative to me

I'm into proper instrument playing bands, that's positive to me 👍
 
Rush and Pink Floyd make very positive music, as does Led Zeppelin.
 
I have been surprised in the past when I purchased an album for one song (that I grew tired of) but was really caught by some of the other songs on the albums. Albums such as:

Live - Throwing Copper
Love Spit Love
Catherine Wheel - Happy Days
Disturbed - 10,000 Fists (didn't like the other disturbed discs)
 
That Disturbed album is actually pretty good, IMO. But again, it's the songs that weren't played on the radio that I like.
 
ЯebЯuM;2454821
Best with Positive Music was definitely Metallica's Disposable Heroes.

such a great song........gotta love it :drool:

negative music for me is offspring loved to hear it years ago, but nowadays i only can hear some tracks without getting angry....

positive music for me is Metallica, Apocalyptica, Billy Talent

viper
 
I've found that most albums I buy I have to listen to until I like them. Most of the stuff I buy therefore comes under Positive Music. The best examples of this for me recently were Trivium's Ascendancy and Slayer's Reign in Blood. I wasn't bothered by either at first - I only bought Reign in Blood because it was £6 and I heard it was quite good - but, having listened to both quite a bit, I've grown to like them.

The best example of Negative music I can think of is Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. When I first heard it, I loved it; eventually I bought it, and listened to it relentlessly, but managed to stop myself in time before I started really hating it. Now I ration my listening to the song so that I can enjoy it when I do hear it. That might be me just overplaying it, but it's the only example I know.
 
i know what you're talking about when mentioning "Smells like teen spirit", i also hate the song now, it's kind of commerz (sp?).....

viper
 
If you wan't to listen some positive music,choose mostly anything from Joe Satriani,he is a solo guitar player with excellent albums.Every album is different from another,but in another way it's the same quality of the music.He is no monothonic and he mixes up the various styles of music.
 
Interesting topic - I've definitely experienced this more than a few times...

Here are some specific examples:-

1) Yes - the first time I heard Yes was actually an ABWH concert on the radio, and I liked it - alot. So I bought the ABWH album (1988), but noticed that one song, 'Roundabout' wasn't on the album. I discovered that it was actually from Fragile (1971) - I listened to the original and, although I liked it, I didn't think it was great... now I consider it as one of my favourite songs.

2) Pink Floyd - similar thing happened with Floyd. I first heard 'Money' (live) from the 'Delicate Sound Of Thunder', and was 'disappointed' by the original from 'DSOTM' (1973) - the whole album sounded very '70's' (well duh) to me at first, but it grew and grew and grew on me..

3) Kate Bush - I used to switch the TV off if I even as much as suspected that Kate Bush was about to come on. The song 'Wuthering Heights' in particular summed her up for me... now I consider it a classic!

4) Elvis Costello - although I still listen to alot of stuff, and am a big fan, some of his older, more well-known songs have lost their appeal somewhat over the years. A friend of mine hates 'Oliver's Army' so much, he'd sooner listen to The Bangles... :yuck:

5) The Darkness - I ordered 'Permission To Land' from Amazon but the novelty wore off before the CD even arrived :sick:
 
Hey The Bangles are pretty nice...








































NOT!
 
negative music: sweet child o' mine.

oh dear god how i loathe that song. played it for 2 hours straight, repeatedly, once a week for 3 months to record in GCSE music. hell i tell thee.

positive music: alot of tracks by oasis

they're somewhat different to what everyone else plays, they sound so much better than alot of other artists/bands and noel is very talented at creating new, fresh sounds for guitar every track.
 
positive music: alot of tracks by oasis

Hah, you just inspired me.

Negative music: Oasis

They would be okay, if it wasn't for how pompous and arrogant they were. 👎
 
Hah, you just inspired me.

Negative music: Oasis

They would be okay, if it wasn't for how pompous and arrogant they were. 👎

heh!

i ignore their personalities when shown on tv etc and instead just focus on what they can create, as if you listen to champagne supernova when it was originally recorded, they sound awesome in comparison to live, swearing and singing badly on purpose, it's just the egos that spoil what they've created.
 
For me, positive music, is mainly Jazz. Jazz for me is the soul of music. I can listen to a Jazz song, and listen to it again, but it would seem completly different.
 
Woah, I had realized that before!

I bought a few cds a while back... Mabey like 2 months ago, Hypnotize [SYSTEM OF A DOWN] and 10,000 days [TOOL]. At first I thought that the S.O.A.D cd was better, but over time it got boring. Sooo... Bored... I listened to 10,000 days, realizing that the the more I listend to it the better.

Ive noticed it more recently, with led zeppelin, smashing pumpkins and oasis. Definetly a good thing.👍 :)
 
I dont think there are any -ve or +ve, They are nothing, only matters when we listen to them and start commenting things like this.
anyways music has no religons and charges or poles:crazy:
 
negative music: sweet child o' mine.

oh dear god how i loathe that song. played it for 2 hours straight, repeatedly, once a week for 3 months to record in GCSE music. hell i tell thee.

Bah, them's fighting words! :grumpy:

For me, most of Led Zeppelin's songs had be positive music. I didn't care much for it when I first heard of them, but they grew on me quite a bit. Also, Pink Floyd has loads of positive music, as well as almost all the songs from the ...And Justice for All album by Metallica.

Negative music would be most of the songs on the radio right now. Popish and following the same boring formula, one or two songs might be catchy, but it'll be beaten to death and then beaten again until you absolutely despise the song.
 
Positive: Hard Rock and HEAVY(not black etc.) Metal.
Negative: Everything of the others kinds of music, but there are some exceptions
 
I remember in the late '90s I was once watching MTV and one of the VJs commented that the music you like the first time you listen to you'll probably get full of it pretty quick, but the music you don't mind at first but then it grows on you more and more, that's the one you'll keep listening to.

I realised then that I've always done that, but I never classified it as negative or positive music before. My girlfriend tends to spoil songs she likes. She wants to hear it again and again, and I tell her this will make her get sick of the song really quick but she can't help it.

I also think that everything you listen to too much will get boring eventually. Metallica is a band I have almost all the CDs but these days it's rare for me to take on out and listen to it because I overplayed them back then.

Anyway...

Some negative bands for me were: Nickelback, Creed, Evanescence, Papa Roach.

Positive: Symphony X, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden.
Specially Symphony X and Dream Theater, I started to get their stuff at about the same time, and I didn't mind them much at the beginning. Dream Theater grew on me faster and I became a fan of the band and I've been listening to them since then. A few months back I started to listen to Symphony X some more and it really grew on me too, I don't know why it took so long actually.

Now I always try to be careful and don't overplay any songs/bands so I don't get sick of them.
 
That same thing happened to me with Guns n- Roses' November Rain. Keep in mind the single got most of its airplay around 6 months after the release of Use Your Illusion. During the first six months I would listen to it constantly and thought it was pretty good; then they started playing it everywhere... that's the last time I thought it was good.
 
ЯebЯuM;2491981
That same thing happened to me with Guns n- Roses' November Rain. Keep in mind the single got most of its airplay around 6 months after the release of Use Your Illusion. During the first six months I would listen to it constantly and thought it was pretty good; then they started playing it everywhere... that's the last time I thought it was good.
Yeah, sometimes the radio plays a new song that I actually enjoy but they play it ten times a day! How can you like anything they play?
 
Positive music - Anything by Millencolin. Their music seems to be the only music I have which I could listen to all day without getting bored.

Negative - I get really bored, sick and tired of most the songs I hear on the radio, luckly I'm only listening to the radio when I'm in the car, which isn't too often.
 
Back