Netflix

  • Thread starter Thread starter Danoff
  • 19 comments
  • 890 views

Danoff

Premium
Messages
34,431
United States
Mile High City
So I’m a netflix subscriber now.

I was watching TV one day and I saw a commercial for netflix – you know, the really stupid ones where everyone attacks each other in order to get to the DVD first. At the end of the commercial they said the magic words “17.99 per month”. It used to be 25 or something like that. When it was 25 the old lady and I sat down and looked at our budget and found that we rented fewer than 25 dollars worth of movies per month. But now that it’s 18, looking at the budget, we found that we rented almost exactly 18 dollars worth of movies per month on average. So since netflix is easier than going down to the store (which has almost zero parking and lots of homeless people) I figured we’d sign up.

So we got three movies and watched them and sent them back. Then we got three more watched them and sent them back. Then we got three more watched two and sent them back – I still have 19 movies in my queue currently. You’re probably wondering at this point what the point of this thread is – well I’ll tell you.

We’re going to run out of movies. It’s quite simple, Hollywood doesn’t make enough new movies that are good to keep us busy at a pace of 1-2 per week (especially not the three per-week that we’ve been doing recently). Now the lord of the rings is coming out and we’ll no doubt get movies for Christmas that we’ll watch, but eventually it’s going to happen, we’ll run out.

So what should I watch? I’m going to be watching way more movies now than I ever have before (because now it doesn’t cost me any more to watch more movies than it does to watch fewer). So I’m sure there are lots of old movies out there that I should see, but I don’t know which ones are actually good and which ones suck. Netflix has their recommendations on their website – and user ratings for all of them and stuff like that. But the other people who are using netflix gave some really poor movies some very good reviews – so I can’t trust them.

So I’d appreciate recommendations:

Concerts?
Old boring black and white movies?
Westerns?
Easterns?
Documentaries?


…or we could just discuss how awesome netflix is (which is the title of this thread afterall).
 
danoff
So I’d appreciate recommendations:

Concerts?
Old boring black and white movies?
Westerns?
Easterns?
Documentaries?
Yes.

Once you exhaust the more modern movies, move back in time. For starters, watch a movie called Kelley's Heroes. Then watch everything Alfred Hitchcock ever made. Then watch a movie called Rebecca. The last ones there will cure you of the "old boring black and white movies". Then watch Woody Allen's What's Up, Tiger Lilly.

Old movies are great - even really old ones. Check out Fritz Lang's M and Metropolis.

And for nearly free, go for it! You can always turn it off.
 
Load up on TV series.

I've used netflix for 2 years now. I still have 90+ DVDs in my cue and we watch about 6-8 a month. We got Band of Brothers, The Sopranos, Sex and the City (my wife wanted that one, and boy was I surprised at what a great show that was) and so on. We're watching Deep Space Nine now in all its DVD glory. I'm pretty sure you can get Nip-tuck, 24 on CSI on DVD now as well.

They have a good foreign film selection as well. In fact, they have a good everything selection.


M
 
Thanks for the recommendations guys. We do have some TV series in queue like Sex and the City.

I've also started renting IMAX films to check out on the nice TV. Those have been pretty good.

We're watching Deep Space Nine now in all its DVD glory

Is it in 16:9? We've got the last few episodes of TNG in queue so that we could watch "all good things" again.

Then watch Woody Allen's What's Up, Tiger Lilly.

Sounds good. I've seen play it again sam and annie hall, but I didn't really love them. Still Allen is very funny so I'm willing to give him another chance.

Then watch everything Alfred Hitchcock ever made

Yup. Never seen anything Hitchcock ever made so I'll have the check that out.


I've also got Pink Floyd "Live at Pompeii" in queue. I heard that one is pretty good. Any other concerts that rock?

I've used netflix for 2 years now.

I assume you pay 18/month now like everyone else. What did it use to be? 25?
 
danoff
Is it in 16:9?

Unfortunately, no. All the Trek shows were shot full frame in 4:3 ratio. The DVD sets DO come with a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track, which is somewhat nice even though most of the sound effects are center channel only. You occasionally get some rear channel action, like in space battles. But almost no LFE at all.

I assume you pay 18/month now like everyone else. What did it use to be? 25?

It used to be $19.99 back in '02. Then they raised it to $21.99 for about eight months. Now, of course they dropped it again. Ain't competition great?

EDIT: Oh, here's another way to keep you cue filled. Become a regular reader of a DVD review site you like. They will constantly remind you of all the new discs shipping. I personally like the staff at IGN.


M
 
neon_duke
Yes.

Once you exhaust the more modern movies, move back in time. For starters, watch a movie called Kelley's Heroes. Then watch everything Alfred Hitchcock ever made. Then watch a movie called Rebecca. The last ones there will cure you of the "old boring black and white movies". Then watch Woody Allen's What's Up, Tiger Lilly.

Old movies are great - even really old ones. Check out Fritz Lang's M and Metropolis.

And for nearly free, go for it! You can always turn it off.

Classic movies are great, Hitchcock's works are also great recommendation.

As M-Spec was recommending, foreign movies are worth checking out. They are great change of pace from the Hollywood Blockbusters. Right now, I'm into European flicks. I've rented most of them, but ended up buying many that I liked, such as "Run Lola Run", "Good Bye Lenin!", "talk to her", "The Experiment". Characters in foreign films are very interesting and have so much depth, they make the films very rewarding to watch. If you haven't checked out Akira Kurosawa's work, give them a try also. You might not like black&white(most of his masterpieces are in b&w), but Kurosawa is considered one of the greatest directors ever, and was mentor to other directors like Spielberg, Coppola, Lucas, etc.
 
Here are some other movie recommendations:

THX 1138 - Lucas's first movie, and it actually had a story, unlike now.

For Hitchcock, start with North By Northwest, though it's a later work of his. But anything is good.

If you can stand a little crudeness, look into John Waters movies. Pink Flamingoes is a bit much for first exposure, so maybe start with Polyester. Waters is the Dark Side of American camp, but he's scathingly funny sometimes.

For the Woody Allen movies, the two you've seen are not my favorites. My two faves are Tiger Lily and Sleeper, both of which are much funnier. For Tiger Lily, he took an apparently-straight-faced '60s Japanese James Bond clone, and dubbed new dialogue over the whole thing. It's a killer.

I also admit to having a weakness for cheezy post-Apocalypse movies, so I recommend Logan's Run, Damnation Alley, Death Race 2000, and A Boy And His Dog. That last one is based on an excellent Harlan Ellison story and stars a 19-year-old Don Johnson, believe it or not.
 
I also admit to having a weakness for cheezy post-Apocalypse movies, so I recommend Logan's Run, Damnation Alley, Death Race 2000, and A Boy And His Dog. That last one is based on an excellent Harlan Ellison story and stars a 19-year-old Don Johnson, believe it or not.

Both my wife and I have the same weakness. We both enjoyed the Postman and Andromeda Strain. I liked waterworld (one of the few on the planet who did). I also liked an old Rutger Hauer movie called "Blood of Heroes" which when I saw it last (high school) totally ruled! I'm having trouble of thinking of post-Apocalypes movies all of the sudden.

I've seen a few of the mad max films, though the little lady has seen none of them. I thought about picking some of them up but when I look at the back of the DVD for thunderdome, everyone has these 80's mohawks and pink hair - it looks a little too cheezy. Anyway 👍 on the post apocalypes movies, if you know of any other good ones feel free to pass them on.


edit: We've got the godfather trilogy in our cue. Neither of us has seen any of them. Are they all good or is it just the first one?
 
The original Mad Max is an excellent film, even with the horrible dubbing (was it ever released with the real dialogue? If so, it would be worth owning). The second,The Road Warrior, is also good but not quite as good. Thunder Dome, however, was absolutely terrible and had no redeeming qualities at all. Skip it.

Soylent Green and The Omega Man - a Charlton Heston mini-fest. Also look for a movie called Silent Running with Bruce Dern. You of all people will get an absolute howl out of that one: Earth is dying and they're sending the last of our wildlife off into space in giant "space arks". It's good even though.

Oh, and don't forget Dark Star - which is actually meant to be a sendup, and may be a little hard to find, but it's great nonetheless. Likewise Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - goofier still.

On the non-cheezy side, get Diva in the original French with subtitles. A great movie.
 
Soylent Green and The Omega Man - a Charlton Heston mini-fest. Also look for a movie called Silent Running with Bruce Dern. You of all people will get an absolute howl out of that one: Earth is dying and they're sending the last of our wildlife off into space in giant "space arks". It's good even though.

Oh, and don't forget Dark Star - which is actually meant to be a sendup, and may be a little hard to find, but it's great nonetheless. Likewise Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - goofier still.

On the non-cheezy side, get Diva in the original French with subtitles. A great movie.

I've never even heard of most of those. You're making me feel like I haven't seen anything. :)
 
neon_duke and I have very similar taste in movies, great list!

Mad Max DVD(the latest one, 2003?) lets you choose between the original and dubbed audio track. Another classic.
 
neon_duke
Then watch everything Alfred Hitchcock ever made.

Old movies are great - even really old ones. Check out Fritz Lang's M and Metropolis.

And for nearly free, go for it! You can always turn it off.

Good choices, there. You can also see those movies for which you had no expectations for, and therefore, you won't be sorry if you turn it off half-way.

I've been trying to find Dark Star since it was suggested to me in 1997...maybe Net Flix will have it. In that case, my wife and I are thinking about it, but we've been trading and mooching off everyone else's massive DVD collections.

Edit:
You could try this old thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7347
 
a6m5
neon_duke and I have very similar taste in movies, great list!

Mad Max DVD(the latest one, 2003?) lets you choose between the original and dubbed audio track. Another classic.
Ah! Maybe I'll pick it up, then. I'd much prefer to hear it in Australian. Thanks for the compliment and the info!

Here are a few more titles from the the '60s that shouldn't fade into obscurity. Call it the Cold War Weekend:
  • Dr. Strangelove - Kubrick's millitary-industrial complex farce
  • Fail Safe - everybody's nightmare
  • Seven Days In May - it CAN happen here
  • The Bedford Incident - a Cold War study in microcosm
 
I've been trying to find Dark Star since it was suggested to me in 1997...maybe Net Flix will have it.

Yea they have it. Netflix has a great selection, much better than I was finding at the blockbuster or hollywood video down the street.
 
danoff
I've also got Pink Floyd "Live at Pompeii" in queue. I heard that one is pretty good. Any other concerts that rock?
That one's decent,and has some excellent performances on it if you like early Floyd.They also show some clips in the studio as they are recording Dark Side of the Moon. If you like Rock music at all, you MUST get the Led Zeppelin DVD that came out last year, the best concert video I have ever seen. The sound quality is amazing in DTS!👍 Another classic concert film is Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense. If you have a taste for the following bands, Rush - In Rio is major kickass, and the DVD reissue of the old Smashing Pumpkins - Viewphoria is cool because they added some lost footage from the '94 Lollapalooza Tour.
 
You may want to check out:

Starring Pancho Villa as Himself - pretty good, lots of humor but still serious and historically accurate. I watched it for a history assignment a few months back.

Casshern - I'm not sure if NetFlix would have the live action movie that was released last year since it's an import but it was really cool if you like the post apocalyptic stuff. Just don't believe what you see in it's trailer though. It's EXTREMELY misleading.

Avalon - It's pretty good. I saw it a few years ago, I still watch it.

Wag The Dog - The president gets caught up in a scandal very close to election times. The president's publicity people decide to create a false war in order to divert public attention from the issue. Interesting concept, it's a pretty good movie.

That's all I can come up with at the moment.
 
danoff
edit: We've got the godfather trilogy in our cue. Neither of us has seen any of them. Are they all good or is it just the first one?

See them all with your wife, although the first two are best. Every gangster and mob movie ever created took a page from the screenplay and acting of these movies. The third one just wraps a few things up. They are about 3.5 hours each, so it might take a week to see them all, out takes (good ones, too) included! And the numerous famous lines in those movies are classics. You'll cacth yourself mumbling them aloud every now and then after you see them.

Although I'm not a fan of it, there ought to be some decent Anime available.
 
neon_duke
Ah! Maybe I'll pick it up, then. I'd much prefer to hear it in Australian. Thanks for the compliment and the info!

Here are a few more titles from the the '60s that shouldn't fade into obscurity. Call it the Cold War Weekend:
  • Dr. Strangelove - Kubrick's millitary-industrial complex farce
  • Fail Safe - everybody's nightmare
  • Seven Days In May - it CAN happen here
  • The Bedford Incident - a Cold War study in microcosm


"Seven Days In May" You did it again, neon_duke! Another great movie to rent(or own). Anyone who hasn't seen this movie, please rent it. It was directed by the late John Frankenheimer who directed films like the original version of Manchurian Candidate, Grand Prix, Ronin. Seven Days In May is his finest work in my opinion, I think it was one of my selections in the "top 10 films of all time" thread here.
 
Here's a quick list of must see movies.

The Last Of Shelia - Great Mystery movie from the late '60s.

Once Upon A Time In A America - Best gangster movie ever. (No disrespect, God Father!)

The Osterman Weekend - The book was better, but this movie rocks.

Fist Full Of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly - Just in case you haven't seen them. See them in that order.

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World! - Hilarious old movie with a lot great crazy characters and some classic old time actors. Don't miss this one!

Cool Hand Luke - Duh.

Grand Prix - Race car movie from the early '60s

Deliverance - Duh, again.

Better Off Dead - Typical '80s comedy.

Rio Bravo - Western flick from late '50s that shouldn't be missed.

The Cowboys - If you don't cry when John Wayne gets it, you have no soul.

After Hours - A crazy night on the town for a lonely NY yuppie. Mid '80s.

Musnters, Go Home! - If you liked the series, you like this. Herman takes up British race car driving. 👍

Who's Minding The Store?

Cinderfella - Both are very funny Jerry Louis movies. No, I'm not French.

Tora, Tora, Tora - "60s movie about Pearl Habor.

Greased Lightning - Movie about the first black NASCAR driver Wendel Scott.

El Dorado - Great western flick that shouldn't be missed.

Duel - Guy being chased by killer truck driver.

Crazy Larry, Dirty Marry - Bank robbers running from the law.

The Longest Day - WWII flick about D-Day.

The Big Red One - Ditto.

Catch 22 - Crazy movie about life in the military during WWII.
 
Solid Lifters
Here's a quick list of must see movies.

Fist Full Of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly - Just in case you haven't seen them. See them in that order.
Agreed. Excellent represtatives of the classic Western.

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World! - Hilarious old movie with a lot great crazy characters and some classic old time actors. Don't miss this one!
Agreed. Silly but hilarious. I actually saw this in first run in the movie theatre... I'm that old. I'd forgotten it.

Cool Hand Luke - Duh.
Has the best song ever in it. Don't miss.

Deliverance - Duh, again.
How did I forget this? A truly great movie. Truly. As an aside, James Dickey, poet and the author of the book, plays the sheriff at the end.

Better Off Dead - Typical '80s comedy.
There's better "typical '80s comedy" - Sixteen Candles for one, Weird Science for another. But you may have seen those already.

Who's Minding The Store?
Cinderfella - Both are very funny Jerry Louis movies. No, I'm not French.

I hate Jerry Lewis. Period.

Tora, Tora, Tora - "60s movie about Pearl Habor.
...and better than Pearl Harbor by far.

Duel - Guy being chased by killer truck driver.
Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry - Bank robbers running from the law.

I almost mentioned both of these, but I didn't know if he was into car chase movies. These are both excellent examples of the genre - DM/CL is much better than the sainted Vanishing Point. For another recommended "car movie", try Two Lane Blacktop - also a good one.

The Longest Day - WWII flick about D-Day.
The Big Red One - Ditto.
Catch 22 - Crazy movie about life in the military during WWII.

The first two are factual, the third is a farce. All three are great movies though. Call this one your "World War Weekend" and parallel it with the "Cold War Weekend" I described above.

Great choices, Lifters. Here are some more random suggestions:

Our Man Flint - affectionate sendup of James Bond/spy movies
Repo Man - assuming you haven't seen it already
Brimstone And Treacle - short but good. And Sting can actually ACT, despite what you may have seen in Dune
Breaking Away - the best 'teens growing up' movie ever made
Diner - assuming you haven't seen it already
 
Back