Never played GT2, but I had a question regarding it.

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 4 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
I had overheard that there was a way to drive a car with its actual transmission, could someone tell me more? Like, instead of picking between AT/MT in a menu and then having it apply to every car, it'd go on a car-by-car basis; this is something I'm hoping will be in GT7, especially since the transmission type is more specifically detailed in GT Sport's settings menu for each car. For example, in GTS, it says if a car is AT, MT, sequential MT, CVT, and so on. (I was personally surprised to see, for example, that the Ferrari 458 is actually an automatic!)

Yeah, that's the only thing remotely close to what you've mentioned - the game doesn't allow the player to select MT for the two cars with CVTs represented as one gear. The Subaru Pleo with its CVT with seven simulated gear ratios can be used with MT though, no problem.

On the 458, it uses an automated dual-clutch transmission, which is quite different to a traditional 'automatic' (planetary transmission with torque converter). It can be set to make shifts for the driver fully automatically, but it can also be set to only shift when the driver presses a paddle. Basically every single supercar for a number of years has used single or dual-clutch automated transmissions which do the same - you can't buy a Ferrari, Lamborghini or McLaren with anything else these days.

Sorry for ignorance what's CVT trasmission?

Continuously Variable Transmission - basically instead of physical gears with fixed ratios, they use other mechanisms whereby the drive ratio changes smoothly and constantly, between a minimum and maximum ratio. This means that instead of the gear ratio staying constant and the engine RPM changing as the car accelerates, the engine RPM stays constant and the drive ratio changes. This means that the engine can stay at the most efficient or most powerful RPM at all times.

The downside to CVTs is that they can't take the same amount of torque load as a transmission with fixed ratios, and they're not very engaging to drive as the engine just hums at a constant RPM as the car floats along. They're perfect for a Prius, but not so desirable for, say, an M3.

Back