Never thought of this classic as a Drift car.

• Thread starter Dr. V
  • 6 comments
1968 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe (Type-1)

Mods: Race exhaust, Race chip, Port-Polish, Engine Balancine, Stage 1 turbo, Race Brakes, Brake balance controller.

Suspension: Race suspension, stage 3 weight reduction, roll-cage.

Drivetrain: Race Tranny, Triple plate clutch, race flywheel, full LSD.

Settings:
Springs = 5F/5R
Ride Height = 120F/140R
Shock Bound = 7F/7R
Shock Rebound = 5F/5R
Camber = 3.0F/1.3R
Toe = 0F/0R
Stabilizers = 4F/4R
LSD = 30/50/22
Tranny = Auto 7
Brakes = 5F/6R
ALL DRIVING AIDS OFF

107HP
1/4 = 15.696 @88mph (launch at 4K)
Top Speed = 121.13mph (5K in 6th gear redline)

Notes on handling:

It is an RR configuration, so the tail will slowly slide when lifting off the throttle entering a corner. Use throttle control to modulate drift. Tapping brakes with these settings, mid-drift, causes snap oversteer. Not good on tracks with long straights or high speeds. Very good on Trial Mt and short tracks.
Enjoy:tup:

I've always like drifting RR and MR cars in GT4. I find their balance sublime! They are (to me) much easier to drift. I "grew up" (if anyone my age still playing video games can be said to have done so) driving RR VW's (some with performance upgrades, some not) in all conditions: Snow, rain, ice, dirt, off-road, and street, and therefore already had the knack of handling the RR weight-bias / drift. This was something any *good* VW driver knew how to do during the winter. You could tell the "newbie" VW drivers at intersections because they would turn the steering wheel and just cruise straight ahead. You had to drift drift drift that rear end around every turn unless you were willing to go very slow :-)

Unfortunately, any air-cooled VW you would trust enough to drive during the winter is now worth too much to destroy with the road salt. But I still like to take mine out while nobody is looking in a serious rain and play "drifty" in the wet!

I keep a whole horde of RR and MR cars in GT4 and drive almost all of them "tail out" whenever it seem appropriate.

If you like the Ghia, try the Alpine 1600s (the good one). Light like the Ghia but you can add far more power. It becomes a great RR drifty giant killer.

1968 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe (Type-1)

Mods: Race exhaust, Race chip, Port-Polish, Engine Balancine, Stage 1 turbo, Race Brakes, Brake balance controller.

Suspension: Race suspension, stage 3 weight reduction, roll-cage.

Drivetrain: Race Tranny, Triple plate clutch, race flywheel, full LSD.

Settings:
Springs = 5F/5R
Ride Height = 120F/140R
Shock Bound = 7F/7R
Shock Rebound = 5F/5R
Camber = 3.0F/1.3R
Toe = 0F/0R
Stabilizers = 4F/4R
LSD = 30/50/22
Tranny = Auto 7
Brakes = 5F/6R
ALL DRIVING AIDS OFF

107HP
1/4 = 15.696 @88mph (launch at 4K)
Top Speed = 121.13mph (5K in 6th gear redline)

Notes on handling:

It is an RR configuration, so the tail will slowly slide when lifting off the throttle entering a corner. Use throttle control to modulate drift. Tapping brakes with these settings, mid-drift, causes snap oversteer. Not good on tracks with long straights or high speeds. Very good on Trial Mt and short tracks.
Enjoy:tup:

What tires are you using? Can you get us an action shot (rather than a still) of your Ghia in a drift? That would be sweet.

Using N2's for tires. The car doesn't have the "tire shreading" power that other FR drift cars might, but its a great for an RR. Haha, the Alpina 1600 scares me, it seems too unbalanced imo. Here are some pics of the Ghia in action as requested. Circuits are Trial Mt. and Seattle. 👍

hahaha nice.. the car doesn't look too bad itself.. i can see a classic pimped out ride from it too :)

Using N2's for tires. The car doesn't have the "tire shreading" power that other FR drift cars might, but its a great for an RR. Haha, the Alpina 1600 scares me, it seems too unbalanced imo. Here are some pics of the Ghia in action as requested. Circuits are Trial Mt. and Seattle. 👍

Shweeeet!!!

Back