New Aerodynamic Simulation

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spielwurfel
  • 4 comments
  • 1,027 views
Messages
10
Previous to GT6 launch, PD annouced about the new physics system and etc. This included a new aerodynamic simulation, according to what I saw on some videos. This made me hope that the max speed that some cara could reach on the game would be corrected. Testing some cars, I could see that unfortunatelly this haven't changed. Cars with clear maximum speed specification still car reach amazing speeds for their power. As a an example, I tested the 15th year anniversary edition Pagani Huayra, with 720 hp and 370 Km/h maximum speed. Running on the Route X straight (not on the "downhill" part) I could easily reach 400 Km/h. This is obviously far from reality. Tuning it up to the max, it gets 1234 hp, and using nitro with a fairly good gear ratio, it can reach 520 Km/h. Doesn't seem very realistic, anyone with little knowledge about aerodynamics knows that air resistance at this speed would be tol much for a car like this to deal. I'd like to understand how difficult it is to adjust a parameter like this. Doesn't seem to difficult in my mind. What do you think?

Apartfrom that, I was trying to win the Ride Like Wind Inidianapolis race with this same tuned Huayra. The car can do some fairly good corners, but I noticed some differences according to the situation. From reading a little bit about aerodynamics, I found out that the presence of a car behind you at high speeds can alter the air flow that is coming in front of you. Unfortunatelly I couldn't find out what are the consequences, but on GT6 I had the impression that when the car was right behind me, my cornering was worse than when nobody was behind me. I related this to the facts I read about aerodynamics. Did somebody noticed or experienced this too? I'd like to hear some opinions.

Regards
 
What do you think?
It has been mentioned numerous times before, and I think it's a storm in a teacup.

Once you start dealing with daft numbers like 1200bhp+ in a car weighing as much as a kid's tricycle I am not surprised the simulation breaks down a little.

Stick with the normal stuff, and stop worrying about it :)

I am confused about your comments about wake aero when following a car. The effect of wake turbulence should be coming from a car in front of YOU. If you are operating a high downforce setup, this should have an impact on your ability to get through a corner, if you are driving a Pagani without wings, I doubt you would expect to see much of an impact.
 
Previous to GT6 launch, PD annouced about the new physics system and etc. This included a new aerodynamic simulation, according to what I saw on some videos. This made me hope that the max speed that some cara could reach on the game would be corrected.
Not so easy. Speeds will vary with test conditions, car conditions, possibly with driver, etc. Don't expect a car with a listed 180 mph top speed to stop at precisely 180 mph in game. Don't even expect that 180 mph speed number to be consistent between tests. We all like to boil stats down to a simple number, but it's not always possible.


Testing some cars, I could see that unfortunatelly this haven't changed. Cars with clear maximum speed specification still car reach amazing speeds for their power. As a an example, I tested the 15th year anniversary edition Pagani Huayra, with 720 hp and 370 Km/h maximum speed. Running on the Route X straight (not on the "downhill" part) I could easily reach 400 Km/h. This is obviously far from reality. Tuning it up to the max, it gets 1234 hp, and using nitro with a fairly good gear ratio, it can reach 520 Km/h. Doesn't seem very realistic, anyone with little knowledge about aerodynamics knows that air resistance at this speed would be tol much for a car like this to deal.
I have a little knowledge about aerodynamics but I'm not following you. I don't know how fast a Huayra is but 520/400 is 1.3. Power required to overcome drag goes up with velocity cubed. 1.3^3 is just over 2. 520 kmh requires about twice the power that going ~400 kmh does. 1234/720 is 1.71 but you've boosted it with N2O and a racing transmission. This seems internally consistent. That this math works out is far more important from a physics standpoint as the actual top speeds are driven more by data (though they could be so high because the physics simply misses something completely). PD has been known to take data incorrectly, Tornado made a thread about GT5 cars with incorrect specs in the GT5 forum. I've heard reports of some inconsistencies being carried over to GT6.

I'd like to understand how difficult it is to adjust a parameter like this. Doesn't seem to difficult in my mind. What do you think?

It can be difficult because you're going to a box and typing something like "top speed = 100". You're writing equations that take inputs from data you get from various sources and trying to make them work across a wide range of cases.

Apartfrom that, I was trying to win the Ride Like Wind Inidianapolis race with this same tuned Huayra. The car can do some fairly good corners, but I noticed some differences according to the situation. From reading a little bit about aerodynamics, I found out that the presence of a car behind you at high speeds can alter the air flow that is coming in front of you. Unfortunatelly I couldn't find out what are the consequences, but on GT6 I had the impression that when the car was right behind me, my cornering was worse than when nobody was behind me. I related this to the facts I read about aerodynamics. Did somebody noticed or experienced this too? I'd like to hear some opinions.

Regards
The pressure at any one point will influence the pressure everywhere, but to varying degrees. The back of your car is closer to the car behind you than the front, so usually that is where the most difference is made. The front of a car usually sees the highest pressure. This high pressure will change the pressure at the rear of your car. This can lead to a decrease in drag. It can also alter lift but it's harder to say how. A loss of downforce does seem reasonable though as you would probably have higher pressure under the car and higher pressure under the rear wing (if any).
 
Back