New ampMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter wee_man
  • 9 comments
  • 514 views
Messages
1,476
I've just managed to get myself a JCM 600 series Marshall. The 602. It's a 60watt valve amp, so a serious piece of kit. A bit of a step up from my old Squire SP10. My mates dad was selling it, so I enquired, and in the end bought it for £160 :eek: :D . Which I thought was a bit of a bargain considering they're about £800 new in my local guitar shop.
Good nick. Barely got it up the stairs into my room. Will try and take some pics :).

Ahhh, late now. Post more about it tomorrow :).
 
Nice one! That is one hell of a deal! Does he have anymore gear he wants to sell on the cheap? :D

I played one a few years back. They have a very "sweet" Marshall tone to them. They don't have a lot of features, as I recall, or a very diverse sound, but hell, that's what processors are for, right?

Are you going to buy a power soaker for it? Remember, Marshalls don't sound great unless you crank up the volume knob. It's the only way to get that sweet power stage tube overdrive sound.

Congrats, dude! :cheers: And welcome to the Marshall family! 👍
 
Cheers man :). Sods I didn't reply earlier, just been so busy playing with it ;). Na it is basic, but it's still one hell of an amp, and has everything on there I need. Plus I have a Zoom for all that extra fancy crap, although it doesn't sound to good through the Marshall. It does have such a distinct tone and I've found it's soo diverse for styles of playing, though at the moment I'm trying to work on teh clean tone for it. It's a bit to clean and crunchy for my liking....:irked: .....
Power soaker?! What's this all about. I haven't been told about power soakers :(......?!!?
Do you have a Marshall then?

The amp v
 

Attachments

  • jcm 600 series.jpg
    jcm 600 series.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 60
Another one of my guitar (the mexican strat), my mates Ibanez, my old squire amp I had before, my mates BOSS pedal and the amp in the background :D.
 

Attachments

  • set-up.jpg
    set-up.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 59
And one of me in a foul mood jamming with the amp.
Mmmmm........red eye.
 

Attachments

  • me+guitar3 (2).jpg
    me+guitar3 (2).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 56
:grumpy:

I Hate You, Im Stuck With A Crappy 8watt silvertone amp, it sucks
 
I never realised they made amps as low as 8 watts?!
Is that the one which has 'beef' instead of overdive and 'fun time' instead of volume and for gain it has 'tweak'?
 
Nope, Mine Has Overdrive, Volume, Trebel, And Bass, And It Make The Worst Noise At Any Sound Setting, Clean Or With Overdrive on, Above 1/2 Of The Max Settting
 
Originally posted by wee_man
Cheers man :). Sods I didn't reply earlier, just been so busy playing with it ;). Na it is basic, but it's still one hell of an amp, and has everything on there I need. Plus I have a Zoom for all that extra fancy crap, although it doesn't sound to good through the Marshall. It does have such a distinct tone and I've found it's soo diverse for styles of playing, though at the moment I'm trying to work on teh clean tone for it. It's a bit to clean and crunchy for my liking....:irked: .....
Power soaker?! What's this all about. I haven't been told about power soakers :(......?!!?
Do you have a Marshall then?

The amp v

I had a Zoom compact/portable FX unit once, a "9000", and it wouldn't work with any of my amps but the Sony power amp. Try bypassing the preamp, and plug directly into the effects return jack. This yielded better results for me.

Marshall makes a "power soaker" called the Powerbreak. It's simply a master volume control for amps that don't have one. The reason you would need one, even though you have a master volume control, is if you run both the preamp gain, and master volume at high levels and need something to reduce the volume of the amp output stage without reducing the output of the power tubes. The power tubes offer the "balls" of the amps tone when they are overdriven. The preamp offers the "tone" and the distortion, but power amp overdrive brings out the true character of the amp. The power amp distortion "roars" while the preamp distortion "screams." THD makes a great, and widely used, power soak. Try a google search for them.

Oh, don't overlook getting better speakers for your amp, either. I bet Vintage 60 watt Celestions would go great with your rig, but you need a lot of watts to hit their "sweet spot." Maybe, Greenback Celestions (25 watts), if you don't use high volume levels. Overdriving the speaker sounds better then overdriving the power amp stage. Speakers have something called "break-up." It's when you reach a speakers point of maximum usefull resonance (i.e. mechanical movement), and go beyond it's electronic capabilities. It will distort your sound. You need to load that speaker with lots of volume, depending on it's watt ratting, and power to reach proper break-up of the speaker. I'm sure you realize how "sweeter" your tone gets when turning up the volume, so long you don't use too much preamp gaing. Using too much preamp gain, while reaching speaker break-up, sounds ****ty.
 
Back