New build for iracing

• Thread starter GeorgeEOD
  • 8 comments
United States
United States
Hello all!

I have been looking into getting into sim racing for a while now and feel like it's finally time to pull the trigger. After watching a million videos and reading all the new build advice out there I think that I have finally come up with a build. Up until now, I have been a console gamer and have relatively little experience gaming on pc, but I use professional programs and act as the office/family IT most of the time. This is mostly due to others lack of familiarity as opposed to my expertise.

I understand the physical portion of the build well enough, but I think that I may be overlooking some technical details as far as the components and their limitations. If you would, please take a look at what I'm thinking and let me know if I'm all f'ed up or what. This build will almost exclusively be used for iracing or other racing sims.

My req's:

- use iracing on one screen with the ability to upgrade to three screens.
- record and edit/upload races for youtube.
- stay relatively close to $1,000. The lower the better, but I don't want to forgo my req's.
- 1080p at a reasonable frame rate (higher than 60fps)
- stay somewhat relevant for more than a year or two before further upgrades.

Component Selection

CPU Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard MSI - Z370 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SC GAMING Video Card
Case NZXT - H500 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply EVGA - 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Your thoughts are appreciated, thanks!

i'm not fully up to date with all the latest requirements, but at a glance that looks like a pretty good set up to me 👍

I dont know anything about video editing and uploading, I think guys like to have a bit more RAM for those types of things but 16GB should be fine at a guess.

This is more of a personal preference, but I hate having multiple hard drives, so the only thing I would change would be a 1TB (or 2TB) SSD as my one and only drive.

Good luck and have fun !

The Nvidia GTX 1160 ti is coming soon, maybe I would wait for it, because that will be a bit better card than a 1060, but we don't really know the prices yet. (It should be around the price of a new 1060)
I would also swap out the i5-8400 to an i5-8500 or i5-8600 just in case for more future proofing.
Everything else seems fine.

From what I know, everything looks good. The one thing I would consider changing is the GPU. I have read mixed reviews about if the GTX 1060 can handle triples well. I have a 1060 and am looking at upgrading to possibly a RTX 2060. They are around the same price and the 2060 is more comparable to a 1070 TI. The 1070 will handle triples very well. Something to consider.

Welcome to iRacing!

I have a GTX 1060 3gb and I can run iRacing with a mix of medium/high settings and I get 95 frames at the lowest unless something’s wrong, or a full grid in front, or reach dependent. I don’t think you need one right away.

I have a GTX 1060 3gb and I can run iRacing with a mix of medium/high settings and I get 95 frames at the lowest unless something’s wrong, or a full grid in front, or reach dependent. I don’t think you need one right away.
Jeez, forgot to add I’m running triples lol

Jeez, forgot to add I’m running triples lol

Really? Most of what I read says the GTX 1060 cant handle trips well. Especially the 3 GB, which is what I have. That's why I have been stashing money away to upgrade. May have to just try it I guess.

Really? Most of what I read says the GTX 1060 cant handle trips well. Especially the 3 GB, which is what I have. That's why I have been stashing money away to upgrade. May have to just try it I guess.
That's what i thought getting them, but i run everything mixed low/medium/high and achieve 110-144FPS usually, still will upgrade soon, but it definitely works!

Back