New Car!

Messages
948
my dad is finally trading in his 330xi tomorow and we're bringing home the 545i.I can't believe how sweet this car is.i'll post some pictures when i get them developed(dont have a digital camera).

if anyone else here has driven one or just has an opinion of the car, please post.
 
Wow thats nice cant wait for pics. So the brand new or bought used? I will guess new judging the thread title.
 
That's great news, Chris! Enjoy your new 5 series, atleast getting a ride in it, if your not driving it.. The 5 series in my opinion is BMW's best series.

I'm not sure but do the new 5's have iDrive like the 7 Series?
 
sUn
That's great news, Chris! Enjoy your new 5 series, atleast getting a ride in it, if your not driving it.. The 5 series in my opinion is BMW's best series.

I'm not sure but do the new 5's have iDrive like the 7 Series?
Yup the 5 series does have i drive.
 
Seriously, I have used IDrive before, and it isn't as bad as people say it is. It just takes brains to use. I mean, people always complain about having to actually pay attention to use it. Aren't you supposed to be paying attention to driving anyways???? WTF!!! :mad:
 
What does iDrive do?

Congrats on the new BMW btw :cheers:
 
Motorer1
Aren't you supposed to be paying attention to driving anyways???? WTF!!! :mad:
Yeah, but surely you should be paying attention to the road, not fiddling with a knob in the cockpit (and if that sounds rude, it's just your filthy little mind :D )
 
:lol:.

iDrive is pretty cool, some people may just take there eyes off at the wrong time to fiddle around with it. Surely, you could learn to use it without actually doing the stupid thing of taking your eyes of the road. Also, it is a distraction for some people.
 
My problem with iDrive is that it takes forever to do anything. I mean, if you've just changed the radio station, it takes like 12 steps to turn on the AC. And there's a loading time in between all of those steps. It's rediculous that it takes several minutes to play a CD, put on the AC, then go back to the stereo.
 
cool...never ever got a ride in a new BMW b4, enjoy :)
 
Never been in either car, but I've heard from at least a couple people that the iDrive in the 5 series is much better than the original system in the 7 series which a lot of people didn't like.

In any case, enjoy the new car.
 
just got back from a 2 1/2 hour drive and it was amazing.its unbelievably better than the 3 series.the idrive is actually pretty simple to use in the 5 series, and i forget who said it but it doesnt take any time to load.the performance is good for a car that size too, it accelerates awesome (compeard to the 3), and we had it going 180 barely pushing on the gas. i suggest anyone looking for a new car(who has $80,000 canadian to spend) seriously take a look at this car.i'll post the pics sometime next week.
 
180? That's KPH, right? I don't think a big BMW 5-series could go 180 mph, maybe the M5...

Also, if I had $80,000 canadian (I'd asume thats more than $50,000 american) I would by a Boxter. A bimmer would be on the list, though. I'd prefer an M3, but beggars can't be choosers.
 
Motorer1
Aren't you supposed to be paying attention to driving anyways???? WTF!!! :mad:

Yes... and NOT some screen and controller in the center console. Duh?

Takumi Fujiwara
My problem with iDrive is that it takes forever to do anything. I mean, if you've just changed the radio station, it takes like 12 steps to turn on the AC. And there's a loading time in between all of those steps. It's rediculous that it takes several minutes to play a CD, put on the AC, then go back to the stereo.

Changing the air-con settings and adjusting volume aren't iDrive settings, and there's no loading between screens. And for a first-time iDriver, the nature and complexity is an issue - but after about 3000 miles it literally does become second-nature. You still have to look, but those "like 12 steps" become very simple - eventually it takes about as much time as to do it 'the hard way' with normal controls. And since iDrive is a zillion times more expensive, you then wonder why they wouldn't just keep it the way they've always had it. There's no stopping technology - unfortunately.
 
Back