New console, old wheel problems?

• Thread starter gigio79
  • 2 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Italy
naples
gigiotto59
Do you remember when PS4 was issued? We were forced to buy new steering wheels because those used with PS4 were not compatible. What about PS5? Will we have the same problem? 500 Euros for console and 300-400 Euros for the new wheel? So far I did not not hear any rumors about that, and that's no good. I am afraid that various Fanatec, Thrustmaster and Logitech will not miss this great opportunity. I would like to be wrong but I don't think so.

The issue PS3 -> PS4 was thaat controllers needed a "security chip" in them. Old wheels had no chip, thus couldn't connect. GIMX used an actual DS4 to pretend to be a controller to get around the problem.

Its not 100% but it seems a DS4 can connect to a PS5, so in theory there is nothing to stop a wheel doing so too. If they do not I think Cronus and the like will be quick on the uptake and provide an adapter that will let you connect your old wheel.

TL;DR We don't know for sure, but it looks likely that existing wheels will connect in some way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back