New Crew ChiefPC 

• Thread starter Animera
  • 26 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
GTP_Animera
Bleh
User mr_belowski on the Project Cars forum has created an app for a new engineer, and it is pretty awesome! If you're tired of the default engineer, give this a whirl and you just might be pleasantly surprised! I know I was.

Link

A video below of me using the new engineer. Excuse the driving, I was trying to get the engineer to say different things.

...I just dont like the implementation of a spotter...

Me neither! Race Engineers do not tell a driver when there's someone on their left or right, that just doesn't happen in European motorsport as far as I am aware of. Sure, it happens in NASCAR with a "Spotter", but not with a Race Engineer this side of the pond. I think this detracts from the simulation, & discourages drivers from learning proper race craft.

Eh ok, overdramatizing much..? You can turn the spotter off individually via voice commands.

For a fan made app, this is beyond amazing. I so hope SMS buys the code from this guy, throws the same filter over his messages as there are on Bens messages and gives us this in the next possible patch.

Fantastic spotter app! I'd reduce the "beep" and enhance the radio crackle.

Does this replace the engineer with a spotter or do they work together?

Eh ok, overdramatizing much..? You can turn the spotter off individually via voice commands.

No I'm not overdramatizing, I just really hate Spotters, always have & always will. Where & how can I turn the spotter off, but keep the race engineer?

This app is not just a spotter app! I fact you can shut off the spotter if you want.

After reading the readme file, it has voice recognission and you can talk to the engineer!

Here are some of the commands you can say;

"how is my [fuel / tyre temps / tyre wear / body work / aero / engine / transmission / pace / engine temps]"
"what's my [gap in front / gap ahead / gap behind / last lap / last lap time / lap time / position]"
"keep quiet / I know what I'm doing / leave me alone" (switches off messages)
"keep me informed / keep me posted / keep me updated" (switches messages back on)
"how long's left / how many laps are left / how many laps to go"
"spot / don't spot" (switches the spotter on and off - note even in "leave me alone" mode the spotter still operates unless you explicitly switch it off)
"do I still have a penalty / do I have a penalty / have I served my penalty"
"do I have to pit / do I need to pit / do I have a mandatory pit stop / do I have a mandatory stop / do I have to make a pit stop"
"where's [opponent driver last name]"
"who's [ahead / behind]" (this one only works if you have the driver name recording for that driver)

It also has many of the other drivers names pre recorded so it references cars by driver. You can even add your own names/Steam ID's.

This is quite a mod! I'm surprised it's not at RD or being talked about much more. Maybe due to being in early development.

Just this mod, as a proper game feature, would make marketing departments go nuts! But like all things voice controlled... Its bound to have some hiccups like with accents etc.

This app is not just a spotter app! I fact you can shut off the spotter if you want.

After reading the readme file, it has voice recognission and you can talk to the engineer!

"how is my [fuel / tyre temps / tyre wear / body work / aero / engine / transmission / pace / engine temps]"
"what's my [gap in front / gap ahead / gap behind / last lap / last lap time / lap time / position]"
"keep me informed / keep me posted / keep me updated" (switches messages back on)
"spot / don't spot" (switches the spotter on and off - note even in "leave me alone" mode the spotter still operates unless you explicitly switch it off)
"do I have to pit / do I need to pit / do I have a mandatory pit stop / do I have a mandatory stop / do I have to make a pit stop"
"who's [ahead / behind]" (this one only works if you have the driver name recording for that driver)

It also has many of the other drivers names pre recorded so it references cars by driver. You can even add your own names/Steam ID's.

This is quite a mod! I'm surprised it's not at RD or being talked about much more. Maybe due to being in early development.

Just this mod, as a proper game feature, would make marketing departments go nuts! But like all things voice controlled... Its bound to have some hiccups like with accents etc.
Thanks for doing the research.👍

Well that is a seriously awesome app then! :drool:

Just a shame it's PC only. :(

A new sound pack has been added. I'll try it tonight to see if I like it more than the original.
And some changes:

There's a toggle button which makes the app read the time gap to the guy in front whenever you cross the line, and the gap to the guy behind whenever he crosses the line. When the app is in this 'mode' it will still do all the other stuff, but the other gap messages ("the gap in front is increasing" etc) are disabled.

The toggle can also be made by a voice message - "tell me the gaps" and "don't tell me the gaps".

This app has gained so much momentum in recents days it's being updated constantly.

If you console game guys don't know yet, SMS got approval to allow companion apps (such as this and Motec display data on mobile devices) to work on console. Now it's a matter of wether the original creators can modify their apps according to 1st party standards (you need to be a registered developer) or if SMS sponsors a few of them... Or simply does it in house.

The greater value in having a separate HUD is that you can set proper POV and still read have a means to read dash board data.

As much as SMS has bungled up all their patches, failed PR (the test track is actually free... So we included it in paid DLC... Never mind the fact that it's also the price of a track pack, and not 3 cars...), and marketing spin that butchers the term "on demand", but with the continued support of the community it's stuff like the above that will continue to drive this product forward and help Pcars reach its potential. Let's just hope SMS don't get in the way of themselves.

...If you console game guys don't know yet, SMS got approval to allow companion apps (such as this and Motec display data on mobile devices) to work on console. Now it's a matter of wether the original creators can modify their apps according to 1st party standards (you need to be a registered developer) or if SMS sponsors a few of them... Or simply does it in house....
Once the game sends those network packets, anyone can receive and process them. I.e. no approval is needed for apps - anyone can do what they like with that data :)

Once the game sends those network packets, anyone can receive and process them. I.e. no approval is needed for apps - anyone can do what they like with that data :)

I think the problem (from what i have read on the Pcars forums)is how much data can be transfered in packets and how fast. If you try to have to much you will have dataa lag. I think it will work we will just have to wait and see how much info we can have at once.

Yeah for console I am just hoping it will work well enough to send data for fancy RPM lights, speed, and gear selection quickly. Like Lawndart said, I have such a narrow FoV that I would love to have a tablet between my wheel and tv. The in game hud is ok.. it has basically a shift light on the gear selector, and some cars I can get the view to just show the rpm lights by moving the seat around, but a full display would be much better.

I think the problem (from what i have read on the Pcars forums)is how much data can be transfered in packets and how fast. If you try to have to much you will have dataa lag. I think it will work we will just have to wait and see how much info we can have at once.
The current full data structure is 7316 bytes. Send, say, 10 of those per second, consuming 600kb/s of bandwidth (that's nothing for your LAN which probably runs at 1000000kb/s), and you're good to go for many/most apps. The new built in server may possibly offer subsets of that which would reduce the bandwidth (that's pure speculation, but there may be a hint in Tim Mann's posting). Don't worry, it twill work.

Last edited:
That looks pretty damn amazing and the voice commands are a brilliant idea. Congratulations to the person(s) responsible for this and thank you very much indeed.

SMS need to add this into the vanilla game as soon as possible. The original crew engineer was mediocre at best, but compared to this, the difference is simply staggering.

I'll be trying this soon. 👍 Is it simple to download/install/use?

Very simple. Just follow the instructions on the PCARS forum thread.
It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.
Make sure that the use shared memory option is enabled in PCARS.

Hey guy´s
I have been using Crew Cheif for a while now , without any problems , but now , I still get all informations on the car like tyres/fuel/ breaks/ water/Oil and all the other things , but I dont get told if there is a other car beside me , Where BOB says car right or left even keep your line it´s also gone .
Can anybody please tell me whats wrong here .
Thanks

Hey guy´s
I have been using Crew Cheif for a while now , without any problems , but now , I still get all informations on the car like tyres/fuel/ breaks/ water/Oil and all the other things , but I dont get told if there is a other car beside me , Where BOB says car right or left even keep your line it´s also gone .
Can anybody please tell me whats wrong here .
Thanks
I don't know what's causing the spotter to stop, but your best bet would be to ask in this thread http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...-alternative-race-engineer-for-console-amp-PC the developer of the app, Mr. Belowsky, is fairly active in responding to people's issues there.

Back