New e-Sports league in Japan? JeGT GRAND PRIX

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2 comments
Australia
Australia

This weekend, we will be participating in JeGT at Rokko Island with RAYS e-Racing Team, along with teammate Yan Mardenborough. Please provide some support!
https://www.jegt.jp/?fbclid=IwAR3zXEi-k81KF9fENAcp7V97maC5i1gOBDRpYXvZi4k4lfpXH9uskNnofR4
While motor sports such as "F1", "SUPERGT", and "D1 GRAND PRIX" are still very popular in Japan and overseas, there is a great sense of crisis in the current situation that young people are moving away from the car.
In recent years, “e-sports” have begun to attract a great deal of attention mainly in the youth generation, but the level of recognition is far from that of major sports.
Therefore, in order to fuse motor sports and e-sports and aim to further revitalize both industries, a new racing category where professional racing teams and professional gaming teams compete for the championship in racing games `` Japan electronic sports Grand Touring = JeGT " will be held.

A pre-contest will be held at Rokko Island in Kobe before the full-scale JeGT from April 2020!

September 29, 2019 (Sun) 10: 00-18: 00 (Meetings) / 10: 00-16: 00 (Outdoor Events)

Title used
PlayStation ® 4 software "Gran Turismo SPORT"

eSports in Japan has some issues though. They have very strict anti-gambling laws and think that if you buy-in to enter a tournament, it’s seen as gambling if you win a big prize. Sort of like playing poker.

This is definitely true with fighting games (like Street Fighter) but I’m not sure about other genres.

In SF, there is a gamer’s union you can join (if they deem you a “pro”), but not everyone in SF’s Japanese community agrees with it. If I recall, spaces are limited and they only give licenses to the top players, which makes it harder for newer, up-and-comers to be accepted. One of their better, top players (who refuses to join this union on principle because of these reasons) won a tournament and had to forfeit a lot of his winning because he wasn’t part of this union. If I remember right, the prize was something like $50k, but he only got to keep $1k or something like that.

I’m all for the growth of eSports everywhere, but I hope this kind of stuff isn’t the same with this JeGT in Japan.

Here’s more about the issue if anyone is interested, though I mostly summed it up: https://www.gfinityesports.com/arti...okyo-games-show--after-declining-jesu-license

Also, there is still a question of where did the other $49k go. If the winner didn’t get it, who did?

Last edited:
Back