New European football tournament: A League of Nations

• Thread starter Pagey279
  • 5 comments
England
Somerset
Pagey279
Nobody knows the full details yet, but there are rumoured to be 4 divisions with promotions and relegations, plus a 'final four' competition in the summer. It would be the third major tournament for European teams, alongside the European championship and the World Cup.

The 54 member associations of European football's governing body will vote on the proposal at its annual congress in Kazakhstan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26747394

Sounds interesting.

I was going to start a thread about this! :lol:

But I think this could be good, they are doing it mostly to stop pointless friendless in half full stadiums and the finals will take place in a summer when there is no World Cup or European Championship....sounds good so far 👍

But I think this could be good, they are doing it mostly to stop pointless friendless in half full stadiums
There's a good and a bad aspect to this, both rooted in the FIFA ranking system.

This system ranks nations according to a complex formula that evaluates individual results by the strength of the opposition and the importance of the match - beat strong opponents in a World Cup finals game and you get loads of points, beat nobodies in a friendly and you get very few - and then averages out results over a number of years, with more recent results being more important.

This means that when, for example, Italy play Gibraltar in a friendly, Italy get so few points even if (when) they win it's actually worse than if they didn't play at all - their average will plummet and they lose ranking positions. Fewer meaningless friendlies means anomalies like this don't occur any more.

But give one confederation a new high-tier tournament with regular matches and you will see their member nations' average scores increase due to the multiplication factor of the importance of the games, leading to unfairly-highly ranked European teams. And we all know England are already not even in the best 10 teams in the world, so being in the top 4 (which will be pretty much inevitable) is even more ludicrous.

It is supposed to be a competitive tournament though, but lets see if the teams and fans treat that way...

It is supposed to be a competitive tournament though
Yes. That's why I said those things I just said.

More competition matches = fewer friendlies = fewer dropped ranking points
More competition matches in a single federation = unduly higher ranked teams

So the new tournament was unanimously agreed by UEFA congress earlier today and it will happen whether you like the idea or not, first competition is in 2018...

Back