• 27 comments

LogiForce

Premium
Netherlands
Groningen, Netherlands
LogiForce86
LogiForce
Hi guys,

I recently made some discoveries concerning the force feedback system in Project CARS 2, and that was that it was lacking two forces (or actually moments) of the forces that work on the tyres in the game. These two forces/moments Mx (Overturning moment) and My (Rolling Resistance moment) weren't transmitted via the force feedback.

A long story short, and I explain it all in the link below, but the lack of these forces/moments has made the force feedback feel weird or ended up doing strange things. Certain cars nearly didn't have any force feedback at all, like the Ferrari FXX-K. The Caterham 620R felt like it had weak springs, and so on.

In the end that what I discovered was basically what Jack Spade was trying to compensate for in his force feedback files.
I also already received a kind and great comment that this FFB file has put Project CARS 2 force feedback close to Assetto Corsa's force feedback. Which I am sure will make a lot of you interested! :)

I hope you will try them out and see if you like them.

Link: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?66720-Christiaan-s-Pure-FFB-(Custom-pCARS2-FFB-File)

Oh yeah, one more thing! I don't remember how often I have been two wheeling cars for fun now, because the FFB is so good that I can stunt drive certain cars.
So yeah... old school DTM on two wheels anyone? Yup... the below video is easily done now and repeatable. ;)

Recommended Settings:
These settings are just to start out with but feel free to experiment to your heart's content of course. :)

Depending on your wheel start with a default on-wheel/driver setting, but just make sure that you have the maximum amount of steering lock set and that the wheel is calibrated for that in-game.

As for in-game settings...

Gain: 100
Volume: 50-100*
Tone: 50
FX: 0-100**

*Adjust volume on a per car basis. Old cars and high downforce cars tend to clip the signal above 50, other cars you might need to set to 100. Watch the FFB meter in the in-game telemetry HUD, the last red bar on the right should never or rarely spike.

**The added effects can be added in as you desire. Feel free to experiment here, but I'd leave them off for starters.

TIP: Set buttons to adjust volume on your wheel, so that you can adjust the force feedback on the fly as you try out various cars.

NOTE: The FFB meter shows the amplitude of the force feedback from left to right. Each bar has an amplitude range. The height of the bars shows how much activity is within a certain force feedback range. You want to just keep the last red bar on the right unaffected as that means you are clipping.

The cars vary a lot in terms of individual force feedback strength calibration, but we already knew that from the past. So it's really a bit of adjusting and go, and as said... it's easiest to do that on the wheel. Although I find that the increments are quite coarse per button press.

Cheers and enjoy,

Christiaan

Last edited:
Great work but what does this mean for us console users ? doof ffb I guess :(

I am afraid so. I don't work for SMS nor do I have the money to tell Ian Bell what to do about it. Sorry... I wish I had noticed it way before, but I am about 2 years too late (maybe more now). :(

I did put a message out to Reiza on their forum, publically I might add, to give them my lessons learned so that hopefully they can fix it in Automobilista 2.
Whether they use that information is ultimately up to them though.

That is about all I could do for you and the rest of the sim community, since I can't change what is.

Hi guys,

I recently made some discoveries concerning the force feedback system in Project CARS 2, and that was that it was lacking two forces (or actually moments) of the forces that work on the tyres in the game. These two forces/moments Mx (Overturning moment) and My (Rolling Resistance moment) weren't transmitted via the force feedback.

A long story short, and I explain it all in the link below, but the lack of these forces/moments has made the force feedback feel weird or ended up doing strange things. Certain cars nearly didn't have any force feedback at all, like the Ferrari FXX-K. The Caterham 620R felt like it had weak springs, and so on.

In the end that what I discovered was basically what Jack Spade was trying to compensate for in his force feedback files.
I also already received a kind and great comment that this FFB file has put Project CARS 2 force feedback close to Assetto Corsa's force feedback. Which I am sure will make a lot of you interested! :)

I hope you will try them out and see if you like them.

Link: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?66720-Christiaan-s-Pure-FFB-(Custom-pCARS2-FFB-File)

Oh yeah, one more thing! I don't remember how often I have been two wheeling cars for fun now, because the FFB is so good that I can stunt drive certain cars.
So yeah... old school DTM on two wheels anyone? Yup... the below video is easily done now and repeatable. ;)

Cheers and enjoy,

Christiaan

Hi Christiaan!

Thanks for sharing yur work! :)

Besides this brand new FFB Costumized file... are there aditional setup configuration that you advice?? Either for Wheel sensivity, Tone, and so on?? :)

Hi Christiaan!

Thanks for sharing yur work! :)

Besides this brand new FFB Costumized file... are there aditional setup configuration that you advice?? Either for Wheel sensivity, Tone, and so on?? :)

My standard recommendation would be as follows:

Depending on your wheel start with a default on-wheel/driver setting, but just make sure that you have the maximum amount of steering lock set and that the wheel is calibrated for that in-game.

As for in-game settings...

Gain: 100
Volume: 50-100*
Tone: 50
FX: 0-100**

*Adjust volume on a per car basis. Old cars and high downforce cars tend to clip the signal above 50, other cars you might need to set to 100. Watch the FFB meter in the in-game telemetry HUD, the last red bar on the right should never or rarely spike.

**The added effects can be added in as you desire. Feel free to experiment here, but I'd leave them off for starters.

TIP: Set buttons to adjust volume on your wheel, so that you can adjust the force feedback on the fly as you try out various cars.

NOTE: The FFB meter shows the amplitude of the force feedback from left to right. Each bar has an amplitude range. The height of the bars shows how much activity is within a certain force feedback range. You want to just keep the last red bar on the right unaffected as that means you are clipping.

The cars vary a lot in terms of individual force feedback strength calibration, but we already knew that from the past. So it's really a bit of adjusting and go, and as said... it's easiest to do that on the wheel. Although I find that the increments are quite coarse per button press.

That's about it to be honest. Enjoy! :)

(Edit: I added the above to the OP so people won't have to search)

Last edited:
I am afraid so. I don't work for SMS nor do I have the money to tell Ian Bell what to do about it. Sorry... I wish I had noticed it way before, but I am about 2 years too late (maybe more now). :(

I did put a message out to Reiza on their forum, publically I might add, to give them my lessons learned so that hopefully they can fix it in Automobilista 2.
Whether they use that information is ultimately up to them though.

That is about all I could do for you and the rest of the sim community, since I can't change what is.
Oh well I suppose its to late for me anyway I felt let down and abandoned the game just after SMS/Ian keep up the good work though dude :)

Oh well I suppose its to late for me anyway I felt let down and abandoned the game just after SMS/Ian keep up the good work though dude :)

Thanks. I really wish I could do everyone justice on all platforms but both Sony and Microsoft don't allow file access on their consoles. In fear for someone finding a leak and hacking them I suppose. A real pity but what can you do, right?

You could always try to build a nice PC, can be from old second hand parts to keep it low cost. A nice 2600K with a good motherboard, 16GB of DDR3 ram and a GTX970 or better should get you there (I use it to play in VR even). Just add an SSD, a nice case (maybe a media center pc type of thing), monitor, keyboard and mouse (one of those two in one jobbies from Logitech will do) and you're golden! :)

There is something to say for console gaming but the freedom you have with a PC is just golden, and you're never screwed over with wheel support as with next-gen consoles. Plus you can upgrade whenever you feel like it, but like I said I use that 2600K since January 2011... that's quite a long time. It really shows that the PC has grown up and further development over a decade are only small incremental improvements each year.

So yeah, a PC doesn't have to cost as much anymore as back in the early 2000's when your new bought part was already old news the next day. In certain ways I miss it but I know my wallet doesn't miss it at all. lol

How difficult would it be for sms to patch this into the consoles in your opinion? I know they have stopped patching it but something this big could really get the people who felt let down by the game back onboard and the online numbers up and possibly buying the dlc.

How difficult would it be for sms to patch this into the consoles in your opinion? I know they have stopped patching it but something this big could really get the people who felt let down by the game back onboard and the online numbers up and possibly buying the dlc.

Technically not difficult at all but it might be an issue of cost. I am not quite sure but I believe that developers have to pay Sony and Microsoft each time they send in a patch, as this patch needs to be checked over by staff either console company and thus costs are made.

Also SMS might have to go over all the cars again and check for clipping with the new FFB settings, so they need to normalize the FFB strength of the cars. This again is a task intensive job that is slow going and thus will cost a lot of man hours, even though one man might be enough to do it. It's still at least a day or two work.

All I can say is that everyone has to shout out to Ian and show him the wrongs made and ask for a fix on consoles. Although no promises as the game didn't sell as well as pCARS 1 (even though it's a much better game comparatively).

Thanks. I really wish I could do everyone justice on all platforms but both Sony and Microsoft don't allow file access on their consoles. In fear for someone finding a leak and hacking them I suppose. A real pity but what can you do, right?

You could always try to build a nice PC, can be from old second hand parts to keep it low cost. A nice 2600K with a good motherboard, 16GB of DDR3 ram and a GTX970 or better should get you there (I use it to play in VR even). Just add an SSD, a nice case (maybe a media center pc type of thing), monitor, keyboard and mouse (one of those two in one jobbies from Logitech will do) and you're golden! :)

There is something to say for console gaming but the freedom you have with a PC is just golden, and you're never screwed over with wheel support as with next-gen consoles. Plus you can upgrade whenever you feel like it, but like I said I use that 2600K since January 2011... that's quite a long time. It really shows that the PC has grown up and further development over a decade are only small incremental improvements each year.

So yeah, a PC doesn't have to cost as much anymore as back in the early 2000's when your new bought part was already old news the next day. In certain ways I miss it but I know my wallet doesn't miss it at all. lol
You didn't see my sig I guess look below for my specs ;) I build em myself I just use the ps4 its great for meeting new racers and making buds the pc can be lonely and often more trouble than its worth just ask the guys playing crew2 atm ;)

You didn't see my sig I guess look below for my specs ;) I build em myself I just use the ps4 its great for meeting new racers and making buds the pc can be lonely and often more trouble than its worth just ask the guys playing crew2 atm ;)

Doh! I really didn't indeed. One facepalm of deep shame coming up! lmao

You are right in that respect. Maybe someone finds a way someday to get us all a bit closer together. :)

Christiaan's Pure FFB v1.01 - Hotfix

I just had to release a hotfix as I made a mistake with the tone control. Get the latest via the link in the OP.

Please excuse me for my mistake. :)

Nope that's it you are "DEAD" to me :cheers::lol:

How about now... :rolleyes:

Christiaan's Pure FFB v1.02 - Hotfix 2

Had to release another... a forum user that is helping me test noticed another typo in the sum of tyre forces.

So now if you'll all excuse me, let me get a head start and exit stage left before ya'll get the pitch forks ready. :P

I'm guessing this file isn't designed for Logitech wheels (whatever your forum name is :))

FFB is very subjective but personally on my G29 this was a step backwards from the standard FFB (driving on all 4 wheels at least).

I'm guessing this file isn't designed for Logitech wheels (whatever your forum name is :))

FFB is very subjective but personally on my G29 this was a step backwards from the standard FFB (driving on all 4 wheels at least).

My name has nothing to do with Logitech but as a Star Trek fan it was a reference to Mr Spock and him using the power/force of logic to his advantage, and I admired that. Hence it's LogiForce, which I adopted that name since around 2001/2002 and It's just stuck ever since. :)

I see. I am working on improving the effects currently, which is a long process as I have to restart the entire game every change to the file.
I'll see if I can make something work better for Logitech users down the line. I still have a G25 here myself but I am currently mainly focused on Clubsport v1 wheel and up.

Just to congratulate you!!!

Tried last night still with the bugged file., and even so.. feeled realy good! (used FX and Tone on 92 to 96) FANATEC CSL PS4 wheel, FEI on 10/20!

Just to congratulate you!!!

Tried last night still with the bugged file., and even so.. feeled realy good! (used FX and Tone on 92 to 96) FANATEC CSL PS4 wheel, FEI on 10/20!

Drove the Formula Renault at Oulton Park GP in a time trail yesterday evening (or it was more this morning) and I got a good 7 tenths off of my previous lap time after the fix. :)

Somehow it's become a lot more intuitive. I only need to work on a bit of scrub for going sideways, but that's what I am experimenting with at the moment.

Drove the Formula Renault at Oulton Park GP in a time trail yesterday evening (or it was more this morning) and I got a good 7 tenths off of my previous lap time after the fix. :)

Somehow it's become a lot more intuitive. I only need to work on a bit of scrub for going sideways, but that's what I am experimenting with at the moment.

But now you re talking about the Experimental "Scrub Special" version ... not???

But now you re talking about the Experimental "Scrub Special" version ... not???

I was doing that time without the experimental file. ;)

But yeah, the later part is about the experimental stuff. It's far from what I desire as of yet though. I might have to first order a book on tyre dynamics and get a better understanding of what's happening.

I was doing that time without the experimental file. ;)

But yeah, the later part is about the experimental stuff. It's far from what I desire as of yet though. I might have to first order a book on tyre dynamics and get a better understanding of what's happening.
You simply aplying the scrubb effect to FFB and not adding any other effects?

You simply aplying the scrubb effect to FFB and not adding any other effects?

Naturally that will come in due time. I won't be skipping on them, but your feelings get clouded easily if you mix in the rest right away. So one step at a time, yet it takes a lot of time as with each change I have to exit the entire game to properly re-load the FFB file.

I simply wish to first perfect one thing before focusing on another. Once I've got all of them where I believe it feels right I'll focus on blending them together. It's just a step by step process like that which you can't hurry if you want to do it right. :)

Thank you for this work, I'm using raw since WMD days, but now want to try your custom one since you always seemed one of the most knowledgeable users about FFB tuning.
May I ask you a version of the file with the same "volume auto-adjusting" of the default informative and immersive profiles? I'm a very set-and-forget person, and i'd really like to not need to adjust FFB on a per-car basis (also the T300 has not enough buttons if you have VR and cannot set things on keyboard)

Thank you for this work, I'm using raw since WMD days, but now want to try your custom one since you always seemed one of the most knowledgeable users about FFB tuning.
May I ask you a version of the file with the same "volume auto-adjusting" of the default informative and immersive profiles? I'm a very set-and-forget person, and i'd really like to not need to adjust FFB on a per-car basis (also the T300 has not enough buttons if you have VR and cannot set things on keyboard)

If I do it than I'd like to add it in a way that I'm happy with it, but at the moment I am quite busy with things other than pCARS. So forgive me that I can't do this right away.

I got a reel 2 reel tape recorder from someone including tapes, but on these tapes his son as a young child is singing. Unfortunately they lost him later on in life, so I want to try my best to digitalize these recordings and hand them over to the father and original owner of the Teac X-3R tape recorder.
These people aren't that young anymore (in their 70s) and I just find it a bit more important to do.

I hope for your understanding, but I won't forget your request.

don't even need to excuse for something like that :)
you're just doing a job for the community with no return, obviously real life gets priority

New version's up... v1.05.

All files: Fixed an error on my part due to which the FFB histogram didn't show any clipping.
Gear DRV: Increased tighten to 0.14 after user feedback.

Also I've updated the recommendations in the Project CARS Forum OP based on user feedback.

Please leave some comments on the likes or dislikes. ;)

Merry Christmas and a fast paced 2020 to all of you petrol heads!

Merry-Christmas-and-happy-new-year-2020-images-7.jpg

Back