New Forum Member With a Suggestion

  • Thread starter Thread starter tgi
  • 16 comments
  • 981 views

tgi

Messages
4
United States
California
Hello GTP, I'm new to the forums and GT5. I have been playing for about a week now. First off let me start by saying these forums are great! I have learned a lot in the brief time I have browsed through here.

One thing I think that would be nice would be some sort of master list for all the acronyms/terms commonly used on the forums.

I've seen a bunch of terms that I didn't understand when I first starting reading threads. Things such as SRF, OCD, dirty oil 2J, rabbit, and bobs.

I learned what all of these mean by reading a bunch but it would be nice if there was a list, something like the dictionary of GTP. If something like this exists please point it out as the search results didn't yield anything.
 
2J isn't really an abreviation =P considering it's literally the name of the car..

I've never heard of any kind of "Acronym dictionary of GTP" since once you visit here a few times you begin figuring out what people mean when we use some kind of abreviation.
In my early days here I remember seeing people talking about "bobs" and had absolutely no idea.

I figured it out as you did but I suppose that kind of does make it clear that there is a bit of an issue there.

*shrugs* we're a pretty tight-knit community as far as forums go and I've been a part of many, so stuff like this just becomes common knowledge, unspoken rules and what-not. Plus it's not like we bite, you can often just ask what something means when you're confused and can't find anything via search or google. :lol:

Welcome to :gtplanet: , stay out of the basement :)
 
2J isn't really an abreviation =P considering it's literally the name of the car..

I've never heard of any kind of "Acronym dictionary of GTP" since once you visit here a few times you begin figuring out what people mean when we use some kind of abreviation.
In my early days here I remember seeing people talking about "bobs" and had absolutely no idea.

I figured it out as you did but I suppose that kind of does make it clear that there is a bit of an issue there.

*shrugs* we're a pretty tight-knit community as far as forums go and I've been a part of many, so stuff like this just becomes common knowledge, unspoken rules and what-not. Plus it's not like we bite, you can often just ask what something means when you're confused and can't find anything via search or google. :lol:

Welcome to :gtplanet: , stay out of the basement :)

I could have sworn I came across a thread just a few days ago that explained some of those abbreviations. I'll see if I can find it.
 
I could have sworn I came across a thread just a few days ago that explained some of those abbreviations. I'll see if I can find it.

There's 100% a thread with the meanings of abbreviations. :)

I'll try to find it as-well.
 
I used to think that "chasing the rabbit" meant playing while, um, playing while "intoxicated?". But then I remembered the term "chasing the dragon" and that's why I was confused...haha.
 
I could have sworn I came across a thread just a few days ago that explained some of those abbreviations. I'll see if I can find it.

Ahh it's in the rumble strip, that would explain why I've never seen it before =P

I haven't really ventured into that part of the forums yet
 
Just gotta know how to use the search function. ;)
 
Just gotta know how to use the search function. ;)

More a case of I've never needed to look this stuff up since I figured it out on my own eventually anyway haha.
But yeah I should of used to search function to see if something like that existed, I did try googling for it but nothing came up.. considering that google is usually more reliable than this sites search function half the time that was surprising
 
More a case of I've never needed to look this stuff up since I figured it out on my own eventually anyway haha.
But yeah I should of used to search function to see if something like that existed, I did try googling for it but nothing came up.. considering that google is usually more reliable than this sites search function half the time that was surprising

You know, I've never had much of a problem with this sites search function. Others say it is crap, I just think they don't know how to use it properly as I have never had a problem with it. I love it tho when people make threads and say that they have used the search and couldn't find anything when I then go and use their very thread title and find what they claim they couldn't.:lol: Thats classic.
 
You know, I've never had much of a problem with this sites search function. Others say it is crap, I just think they don't know how to use it properly as I have never had a problem with it. I love it tho when people make threads and say that they have used the search and couldn't find anything when I then go and use their very thread title and find what they claim they couldn't.:lol: Thats classic.

Haha yeah I've done that a few times myself.

I wouldn't say it's awful it's just a bit tricky to know how to get the best results from it. It often likes to bring up a lot of unrelated stuff and people get lazy and go "I tried searching but none of the thread titles on the first page were what I was after so I just asked here"
 
Haha yeah I've done that a few times myself.

I wouldn't say it's awful it's just a bit tricky to know how to get the best results from it. It often likes to bring up a lot of unrelated stuff and people get lazy and go "I tried searching but none of the thread titles on the first page were what I was after so I just asked here"

True, I can see your point there.
 
2J isn't really an abreviation =P considering it's literally the name of the car..

I've never heard of any kind of "Acronym dictionary of GTP" since once you visit here a few times you begin figuring out what people mean when we use some kind of abreviation.
In my early days here I remember seeing people talking about "bobs" and had absolutely no idea.

I figured it out as you did but I suppose that kind of does make it clear that there is a bit of an issue there.

*shrugs* we're a pretty tight-knit community as far as forums go and I've been a part of many, so stuff like this just becomes common knowledge, unspoken rules and what-not. Plus it's not like we bite, you can often just ask what something means when you're confused and can't find anything via search or google. :lol:

Welcome to :gtplanet: , stay out of the basement :)

Your last paragraph pretty much nailed it. I guess after enough time, you will eventually learned all the terms.
 
Well, OP of the link showed hasn't been updated in ages.
I think it would be a good idea to create one for GT5 👍
 
I used to think that "chasing the rabbit" meant playing while, um, playing while "intoxicated?". But then I remembered the term "chasing the dragon" and that's why I was confused...haha.

That's pretty funny, would have never thought of associating "rabbit" with drinking.
 
Back