New FoV calculator

• Thread starter FinnZevo
  • 29 comments
What screen u have? You must be uber far from the tv to get such low fov!
32 inch and I'm 2 meters away from my TV screen .

Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuut.........My fault
It is not 2 meters but 1,5 meters from the TV screen now I've got 24 as a result .

Last edited:
More or less how I was playing.

Now I moved forward following the gov suggestion. Never been so close to screen and I expected it to be bad and eye hurting... Big surprise it is actually comfortable and easy on sight!

Also with some adjustments based on if the tv was my windscreen, now my hands and those of the driver basically are same size, and so is the wheel diameter...

I may post the setup picture later, looks crazy close but is soooo great to play!

If I place myself closer to the TV screen my eyes will go like this ,

I was playing farther then you until yesterday when I told myself, let's give it a try.

I find it better for the eyes then when I was 2.5mts far.... Try once and you'll see

Attachments

• WP_20151008_003.jpg
    WP_20151008_003.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 137
I was playing farther then you until yesterday when I told myself, let's give it a try.

I find it better for the eyes then when I was 2.5mts far.... Try once and you'll see

In fact I can't get any closer , here a picture of my TV and the driver seat .
But if I look at your picture I think you are 1 meter away from your screen .

FOTO.jpg

Came out as 36 for me. I find it totally undrivable in helmet view, all i can see is the top of the bonnet and 150mph feels like 50.

If you're going for realism, that is, things on the screen appearing as they would in real life given the same distance from the screen and looking through an imaginary window the size of your tv, then closer will always work better. Around 48" is a general rule of thumb for max distance for all but the biggest screens (60" or bigger) although it's not a hard and fast rule. As always it's personal preference, but as highlighted in this thread, there are some advantages to using a more "realistic" FOV.

Having the wheel as close as possible, like right behind the wheel base, is always a good idea.

The perfect FOV is a compromise on most single screen set up, except if you have a huge screen.
you have to juggle 3 balls.
  1. Limit distortions, like when having to wide an FOV, the distance in the middle are too far, everything on the side of the screen is distorted.
  2. Optimize spacial awareness, like when having to narrow FOV, you cannot see the exit of the turn.
  3. Speed feeling, minimize feeling like your are not moving anymore, too wide and it is like driving on acid, too narrow and you do not feel any speed anymore.
In any case, never bother with trying to see the mirrors or the car interior, most of time with a normal screen size, it is not possible. Use an other view when the car is stopped to admire/examine the car interior, when driving concentrate on what is ahead, like incoming turns and other drivers cars.

A good FOV is your best friend on your way to SIM immersion.

If you sit to far away from a normal size screen, more than 3 feet, do not bother with FOV calculation.

http://www.projectimmersion.com/pixtv.php

Last edited:
Back