New Grand Cherokee!

• Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 18 comments

1X83Z

Premium
United States
usa
Hey all

I'm really excited about the next Grand Cherokee, in part since it may be my next car, and also in part because Grand Cherokees are extremely popular here... as soon as anyone gets a photo of the new '04 Grand Cherokee, could you post it here please?

By the way, for all you car enthusiasts: Remember what happened directly before the pictures were scheduled to be released for the current Grand Cherokee? Somehow I remember this. They were stolen and released on the Internet about a week prior to actual release date. It was enjoyable.

'04 Freedom edition
freedom_1.jpg

Silver front fascia accent
4.7L HO Engine option!!
Bright silver roof rack
Tubular side rails
Chrome tow hooks
Outlined white letter P235/65R17 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A all-terrain tires
17-inch graphite painted cast aluminum wheels
MicroTech instrument panel accents
Dark Slate Gray cloth seating
Front floor slush mats
Molded cargo tray
Colors:
Red, silver, blue, black and Graphite Metallic.

Production begins March, 2003

The Freedom edition is actually a current Grand Cherokee with extra stuff (Jeep's big on extra stuff nowadays). Is the red Grand Cherokee new? It looks the same.

I am not noticing any big changes? I did a search, and I'm coming up with the same type of pictures for the 04 Jeep. Are you sure you heard about the Jeep getting redesigned? :confused:

The Freedom is an '04 Grand Cherokee because it starts production in 2003, but it's based on the current '03 model, just with extra add-ons, much like the current Jeep Liberty Renegade.

Magic: Yeah, it's getting a redesign. May not be major though, from the looks of things.

Originally posted by M5Power

Magic: Yeah, it's getting a redesign. May not be major though, from the looks of things.

I wouldn't call that a redesign then. More like a new year with some modifications.

When I hear redesign I see things like the 97 Viper to the 04 Viper, or the 98 Silverado vs the 99. Big changes in body features.

Originally posted by vat_man
I wonder if it will be as badly built and as useless off road as the first one?

No, it'll probably be like the second one - well-built and useless on-road.

Originally posted by Magic069
I wouldn't call that a redesign then. More like a new year with some modifications.

When I hear redesign I see things like the 97 Viper to the 04 Viper, or the 98 Silverado vs the 99. Big changes in body features.

Same, which is why I feel gypped by Car&Driver.

And a reason why they probably didnt change alot is because of all the Jeep lovers out their. When they announced they where doing a design change (to the current model) Jeep fans said "No, keep it as it is, its good already" but they did anyway and the Jeep fans loved it and evevn gained some more fans...

No, it'll probably be like the second one - well-built and useless on-road.
Heh - I tagged along to a 4WD day 5 years (or so ago) with my boss, who'd just bought one - it was pretty serious stuff, through knee deep mud, rivers, that sort of stuff.

Everyone else was running Landcruisers and Nissan Patrols, although I do recall a diesel Discovery. We spent most of the day fishing the Cherokee out of mudholes - it was pretty funny - the auto was a real hindrance, bit of an eye opener, actually, of just how much of an advantage a manual tranny is in proper 4WD work.

Heh - I tagged along to a 4WD day 5 years (or so ago) with my boss, who'd just bought one - it was pretty serious stuff, through knee deep mud, rivers, that sort of stuff.

Everyone else was running Landcruisers and Nissan Patrols, although I do recall a diesel Discovery. We spent most of the day fishing the Cherokee out of mudholes - it was pretty funny - the auto was a real hindrance, bit of an eye opener, actually, of just how much of an advantage a manual tranny is in proper 4WD work.

Compared to Patrols, Land Cruisers, and Discoveries (and anything above that like Defenders and G-wagens), the Grand Cherokee is nothing off-road. But if it's just a jog up a mountain for some fishing or skiing or something, the Grand Cherokee does fine and is also about sixty percent of the price of a Land Cruiser, as well as more refined than a Discovery (L.R. still manages just 47hp/litre somehow). Five years ago would've been the older model. Does Australia get all Jeeps (Cherokee, Wrangler, Grand Cherokee)?

Originally posted by Frustrated Palm
And a reason why they probably didnt change alot is because of all the Jeep lovers out their. When they announced they where doing a design change (to the current model) Jeep fans said "No, keep it as it is, its good already" but they did anyway and the Jeep fans loved it and evevn gained some more fans...

Yeah, but it's getting lapped by the segment. I'm a huge fan of Jeep and right now I'd rather have an Envoy.

My Neighbor has a Cheerokee. He goes on 4wd treks every weekend with the club over here. Lets just say when he gets home it isnt Black anymore :lol:. He is pretty good at it. Some of the others kept getting stuck and one tipped over (eek, big Ford Excursion)...

Compared to Patrols, Land Cruisers, and Discoveries (and anything above that like Defenders and G-wagens), the Grand Cherokee is nothing off-road. But if it's just a jog up a mountain for some fishing or skiing or something, the Grand Cherokee does fine and is also about sixty percent of the price of a Land Cruiser, as well as more refined than a Discovery (L.R. still manages just 47hp/litre somehow). Five years ago would've been the older model. Does Australia get all Jeeps (Cherokee, Wrangler, Grand Cherokee)?

Yup.

Interesting how the price differentials work out - the Grand Cherokee sits right in the pricing of the Landcruiser and the Patrol

You don't see so many of the Landies now - many people would have bought them have come down to the mid-size 4WDs, the Prados of this world.

You don't see so many of the Landies now - many people would have bought them have come down to the mid-size 4WDs, the Prados of this world.

Yeah, they've taken a massive hit in sales, but it's not too hard to see why, when it's compared to other cars in its class - the Disco is outdated! I'd love it if they gave it a full redesign for the first time since the early nineties.

Back