New Monitor Help Recommendations

• Thread starter Shaun
  • 2 comments

Shaun

Premium
Australia
Vic, Australia
gundalini
Hi guys looking for some input for a new monitor.

I just recently built a new PC and am currently using my sim rig with the lounge TV as a temporary measure until I set up the rig permanently very shortly.

Some PC specs.

1. i7 127000k
  2. GTX 3070 card
  3. 32 gb DDR5 ram at 5200Mhz
  4. Nvme storage.
For some context the TV I'm currently using is a 55" 4k OLED with max frame rate of 60hz and the PC runs as an example F1 2021 pretty much maxed out with ray tracing turned down one notch at a solid 60 FPS. Without being able to run at 4k at quicker frame rates I don't know when the PC will struggle.

So onto the questions keeping in mind it will be mostly for Sim Racing and maybe a bit of Flight Simulator thrown in.

1. Should I be chasing resolution or FPS?
  2. Anyone have any experience with ultra wide monitors? I don't want triple screens but would like something in the vicinity of 48"-50"
  3. Is a TV with 120hz refresh rate even a viable option?
The ultra wide monitors look to be a reasonable choice here in regard to the sizing, from my quick research they come in the resolutions of 3840 x 1080 and 5120 x 1440. Both those resolutions have a lower pixel count than I'm currently pushing to the TV so would it be safe to say the PC would run games at a higher frame rate if needed than the current 60 FPS?

Probably looking to spend up to $1600 AUD.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have one of the Samsung ultrawides from a few years ago (CHG9 - 49in curved, 3840x1080, 144hz). I prioritized the high refresh and frame rate over pixels for both racing sims and FPS games. I'm running a 3080ti (and an i9 12900 now) and even with that I don't think I would be happy with the frame rates on a 5120x1440 monitor on decent settings. The size and shape of the screen took some getting used to in shooters but it was an awesome improvement for racing games right away. The monitor has worked flawlessly and was calibrated very well out of the box.

Last edited:
I don't think I would be happy with the frame rates on a 5120x1440 monitor on decent settings.
That was my concern.
I lucked out and picked up a LG C1 48" OLED tv at a bargain price for the bedroom when I shuffle some stuff around in a few months so I plan on using that in the meantime.

Apparently they are a great gaming tv so at least I can do some testing up to 120fps to see where I'm at while I do some more research on monitors.

I had looked at the monitor you have and that's on the short list.

Last edited:
Back