New NASCAR remote (doesn't look quite right)

  • Thread starter Thread starter squeakD
  • 13 comments
  • 870 views
Messages
514
Anyone else think the new NASCAR remote event at Grand Valley Speedway looks a little odd?

I'm not a huge NASCAR fan.., but know enough about the sport to spot something that doesn't quite look right. I think PD made a wrong track selection here for this genre. It just doesn't look right..., and I'm sure that those here who are NASCAR fans have probably smirked a little too as we're clearly seeing these stock cars perform in ways they're not intended or designed for.

One obvious thing that stands out is how they take corners/curbs in this event. Realistically.., what goes on in the event ain't gonna happen. These stock cars cannot take those curbs (and grass) in the way they do here. If stock cars drove this way they'd be pitting every lap for new tires and repairs.

I just think they put these cars on the wrong track for the event.
 
I haven't watched it yet but... being very familiar with real life Nascar, they are some crazy curb hoppin' mofo's when they the road courses.
 
On my end it seemed like my Bobs doing "NASCAR : Tokyo Drift" at the twisty middle sections of Grand Valley... :)
 
Nascars can and do handle the curbs and the grass on road courses. Nascars dont run on oval tracks only.
 
This track doesn't do the Cup cars well in GT5. The cars always have issues at the final chicane before the sweeper to the main straight.
 
I'm no NASCAR expert but I think they run road courses.
 
Nascars can handle that, they race at watkins glen and infenion.
 
I'm no NASCAR expert but I think they run road courses.

Yep, and they do so very aggressively. 850(ish) HP, no traction control, no stability management systems, no driving aids what so ever except an old school power steering system. It's a very hard car to drive, but they run the snot out of them on road courses. Nascar drivers and cars are a lot more versatile than they get credit for. They hop curbs all day at Infineon. They are probably a little less likely to lean on the curbs at Watkins Glen which is a "high speed road course" of sorts.

On a side note: Speaking of Watkins Glen... Nascar driver Tony Stewart and F1 driver Lewis Hamilton will swap cars there for a "just for fun" test/media event coming up later on this year!
 
I'm tempted to say "of course, there are right hand turns" but then I know I'll be corrected because of the road courses :)

But I do agree, something looks a bit off....suspensions don't look soft enough or high enough, cars aren't scraping the ground etc... While nascar does run road courses, you can bet that their suspension setups are MUCH different than when they run ovals.
 
notmychoice
I'm tempted to say "of course, there are right hand turns" but then I know I'll be corrected because of the road courses :)

But I do agree, something looks a bit off....suspensions don't look soft enough or high enough, cars aren't scraping the ground etc... While nascar does run road courses, you can bet that their suspension setups are MUCH different than when they run ovals.

Only thing that really changes is shocks, springs, sway bars. And diff weight jacking to even out the weight distribution.
 
Only thing that really changes is shocks, springs, sway bars. And diff weight jacking to even out the weight distribution.

Cool, I'll have to watch some nascar road races to see if it looks similar. 👍
Maybe I'm just so used to seeing them on an oval that I can't understand what it should look like :)
 
Anybody that thinks stock cars can't hop curbs needs to watch a video of Ernie "Swervin" Irvan running at Sonoma 20 (or so) years back.

He started on the poll but was black flagged for jumping the start. That put him dead last and a fair distance behind the second to last. With sheer skill and aggression he drove from last back to first, passing (I believe) 33 other cars in the process.

At the end of that race I just sat there with my jaw hanging.
 
Anybody that thinks stock cars can't hop curbs needs to watch a video of Ernie "Swervin" Irvan running at Sonoma 20 (or so) years back.

He started on the poll but was black flagged for jumping the start. That put him dead last and a fair distance behind the second to last. With sheer skill and aggression he drove from last back to first, passing (I believe) 33 other cars in the process.

At the end of that race I just sat there with my jaw hanging.

I believe he started 2nd in that race. :D Still an awesome story, and not something likely to be done again on a road course.
 
Back