NEW PENALTY UPDATE IS NOT CORRECT.

United States
United States
The update before this last update was more accurate and applied towards more realistic raceing.
GT SPORT is acting as there's isn't any incidental contact in "REAL" racing, and on top of that , they give the wrong car the penalty.
For instance, I was on the inside of a right hand corner holding my line whe the car on the outside moves up and hits "me" losing control and GT hits me with a 3 second pealty. How do they expect us to race and be competitive when we're in constant fear of touching someone els? Penalties should be given to those who are out of control and simply slams into another car or knocking them off the track, not to the ones with superficial touching in corners and such. This "NO TOUCH" racing takes the fun out of the competition.
At least give the responsible party the penalty and not the inacent car.

only way to fix is give penalty do both and done, there is no other clear way how code that milion ways an incident can happen.
With both getting penalty at least you, as the clean driver, may have a chance that the other drive 'may' think twice.
Thx for the reply.
As I said in my comment, the penalty update before this last one was close to being right. I didn't get penalties for rubbing nor did others when they rubbed on me. Small incidental hits in the back wasn't penalized. That's the way it's supposed to be, it was fun and you weren't sacred to make a move in a corner. There will always be rubbing in real racing and and GT needs to realize that and change it back to the last update. Thx again.

only way to fix is give penalty do both and done, there is no other clear way how code that milion ways an incident can happen.
With both getting penalty at least you, as the clean driver, may have a chance that the other drive 'may' think twice.

i agree, give the penalty to both. many times those who cause it are using them not getting a penalty as if they are doing no wrong.

the person on the receiving end just about always gets the penalty so if both got it the perpetrator may start to think twice before doing some of the stupid moves to gain a place that are quite frankly a desperate attempt at best..

The update before this last update was more accurate and applied towards more realistic raceing.
GT SPORT is acting as there's isn't any incidental contact in "REAL" racing, and on top of that , they give the wrong car the penalty.
For instance, I was on the inside of a right hand corner holding my line whe the car on the outside moves up and hits "me" losing control and GT hits me with a 3 second pealty. How do they expect us to race and be competitive when we're in constant fear of touching someone els? Penalties should be given to those who are out of control and simply slams into another car or knocking them off the track, not to the ones with superficial touching in corners and such. This "NO TOUCH" racing takes the fun out of the competition.
At least give the responsible party the penalty and not the inacent car.

If you're interested in the GT Sport penalty history, read here :
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/penalty-system-is-still-a-piece-of.378725/
Have fun :D ! You'll possibly see the pen system has never been of any good ...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the penalty is only applied when the force of the impact is above a certain threshold. I've touched slow cars in corners and there was no penalty to either driver.

I don't know what DR or SR you're racing at, yet the higher you get the less forgiving the system becomes. Rubbing and slight touches from behind is allowed at lower DR, yet if you rub a DR.A driver, they get SR Down for each contact. Low SR allows a lot of bumping, and you can even bump a high SR driver off the road and they get SR Down. This hasn't changed at any time, just becomes more pronounced with lower player count filling rooms with DR.A to DR.D and SR.S to SR.B together.

Penalties are also heavily dependent on track limits. Some tracks are very lenient, you can crash and spin cars out, yet as long as they don't go with all 4 wheels outside the invisible track limits, no penalty will be issued. However if there's contact and the other car so much as scrapes a wall on a Tokyo track, instant penalty.

So to sum up, the penalty system is inconsistent, discriminates on DR and SR, and mostly penalizes those that stay in control (stay on the road) regardless of what happened.

Oh and GT Sport is a no contact sport, watch the etiquette videos again ;)

I don't know what DR or SR you're racing at, yet the higher you get the less forgiving the system becomes. Rubbing and slight touches from behind is allowed at lower DR, yet if you rub a DR.A driver, they get SR Down for each contact. Low SR allows a lot of bumping, and you can even bump a high SR driver off the road and they get SR Down. This hasn't changed at any time, just becomes more pronounced with lower player count filling rooms with DR.A to DR.D and SR.S to SR.B together.

Penalties are also heavily dependent on track limits. Some tracks are very lenient, you can crash and spin cars out, yet as long as they don't go with all 4 wheels outside the invisible track limits, no penalty will be issued. However if there's contact and the other car so much as scrapes a wall on a Tokyo track, instant penalty.

So to sum up, the penalty system is inconsistent, discriminates on DR and SR, and mostly penalizes those that stay in control (stay on the road) regardless of what happened.

Thx for the reply.
I know it's a no contact sport but in racing it happens. And your summery on how the penalty system works has opened my eyes to something I didn't know. Now I understand and will be more cautious in races, not like I wasn't befor but still. The only other thing I don't understand is giving the penalty to the wrong driver in a direct body slam from another car. But hey, it's a game at the end of the day. Thx again.

Now that you mention the Tokyo track, I've also noticed sparks flying off cars just barely scrapping the wall with no penalty. I really think there's an impact threshold for the penalties.

Thx for the reply.
I know it's a no contact sport but in racing it happens. And your summery on how the penalty system works has opened my eyes to something I didn't know. Now I understand and will be more cautious in races, not like I wasn't befor but still. The only other thing I don't understand is giving the penalty to the wrong driver in a direct body slam from another car. But hey, it's a game at the end of the day. Thx again.

The system is too simple to detect how body slams who. The only thing it looks at is who gets out 'ahead' after contact. Hence SR Down to the car in front after a draft bump (gained speed), with the exception of a bump in the braking zone where at least the game is smart enough that the object there is to lose speed. Thus the car behind gets SR Down for losing more speed than the car ahead. Same in corners, the car on the outside usually gets SR Down since the car diving on the inside, using the outside car as a 'guide rail', loses a bit of speed (thus able to make the corner) while the car on the outside gains a bit of speed (and is forced wide and brake or go off)

However the car that goes off road or taps a wall is nearly always seen as the victim, if the other car stays within track limits they get a time penalty. The only way to make the system 'work' is to make sure you leave the track / bump a wall after someone body slams or barge passes.

Now that you mention the Tokyo track, I've also noticed sparks flying off cars just barely scrapping the wall with no penalty. I really think there's an impact threshold for the penalties.

It could also be lag. The whole game works on forward predicting all the other cars to make it seem real time. 50ms delay is enough to 'project' a car 1.5 meters forward when traveling at 30 m/s (108kph, 67mph). If the game doesn't perfectly predict the curve a car is making while driving right next to a wall, it will appear as if the car is scraping the wall without losing speed.

This is why the game is not suited to door to door racing, rubbing is racing, bumper to bumper etc. None of it is real time. All the other cars are forward predicted to match your time frame and give you the illusion of a real time race. The higher the speed and the higher the lag, the less accurate it gets. That explains the pinball physics as well, impossibility to exactly tell who hit who where, speed of impact etc. What happened on your screen is not the same as what happened on the other driver's screen.

Take a laggy connection from South America to Canada, 250ms, at top speed on Sarthe, 100 m/s, the actual position of the car right next to you is 25 meters back! Or rather the most recent update you received is from 25 meters back, and your client won't know they hit the brakes or steered to avoid until 25 meters later.

can i drive with you? :D

I agree. I'm afraid that's the only way to discourage stupid and/or reckless moves and the players who abuse the system. I honestly cannot recall the last time I got a deserved penalty for my own stupidity and/or recklessness. Maybe like a year ago? Now 99.9% of my penalties are because of the stupidity, recklessness or inexperience of other players. The remaining 0.1% is for "Ignoring track limits". I think they should rename that one to "Exceeded track limits" or something. How can you ignore track limits when you don't know where they are (or they're different every time)?:lol: SR is way more important to me than DR. Even if it means not winning. I try to keep it at 99 at all times but with the current state of the penalty system it's just not possible without losing DR. So I've done the only rational thing I could, I've stopped playing Sport mode.

Last edited:
Back