New player question

• Thread starter EleriusGT
  • 9 comments
United States
United States
I'm new to the Gran Tourismo franchise. I just fired up GT7 multiplayer today for the first time and tried the race "A" which was minicoopers at goodwood. I don't know a thing about tuning, but I did my best and was able finally get a p3 finish. However, the person in first was ~25 seconds ahead of me. I know I'm not an amazing racer, but I would have expected cars at this class to be racing a bit closer than that.

After looking around online a bit I came across some video showing a tune for this race that requires an engine swap for some Honda engine. Apparently, these engine swaps are only available randomly via "wheel spins" (I guess I've revealed that I'm a Forza player). Does it really require randomness to be able to compete in multiplayer? Is this normal, or is this mini/goodwood an unusual combo that I was unlucky enough to encounter in my first MP foray? Or, am I just that slow/bad at tuning?

Thanks.

I'm new to the Gran Tourismo franchise. I just fired up GT7 multiplayer today for the first time and tried the race "A" which was minicoopers at goodwood. I don't know a thing about tuning, but I did my best and was able finally get a p3 finish. However, the person in first was ~25 seconds ahead of me. I know I'm not an amazing racer, but I would have expected cars at this class to be racing a bit closer than that.

After looking around online a bit I came across some video showing a tune for this race that requires an engine swap for some Honda engine. Apparently, these engine swaps are only available randomly via "wheel spins" (I guess I've revealed that I'm a Forza player). Does it really require randomness to be able to compete in multiplayer? Is this normal, or is this mini/goodwood an unusual combo that I was unlucky enough to encounter in my first MP foray? Or, am I just that slow/bad at tuning?

Thanks.
The issue with the pp limited races, is that tuning free so you can have any weight bhp and tyre compound or other mods as long as you fit in the pp range. This usually means you get everyone on bad tyres with heavy cars and lots of power.

They whould be better setting a tyre and bhp and weight, that whould keep the racing closer, in my leage that's how we do it when we spec race.

Thanks.
Tuning can shave off 1-2 seconds per lap -
This one is a bit bit unique as it has an engine swap which & PP so it is a bit unfair if you don't have the right setup.
Lastly you could've encountered someone like myself, who races in league with mostly A drivers, but rarely ventures into Sport mode.
So they could've had a really low rating which allows them in there even if they are pretty skilled racers.

Apparently, these engine swaps are only available randomly via "wheel spins"
Hmmmmmmmmmmm not entirely no.

First up, the Roulettes are not truly random (there's a long explanation, but suffice to say the prize inside any Roulette Ticket is set before you open it; due to the way it is set it may change after an update, though it appears only to change to another prize of the same type). Your chances of getting an engine within a standard Roulette Ticket are small. Very small.

There are special "Engine" Roulette Tickets, most of which you can find as rewards for Extra Menu Books - most of which are car collection tasks. These only contain engines, so you will always be awarded an Engine but there are quite a few now (not as many as Forza!) so the chances of getting a specific engine that you might want more than others are also small. As above though, they may change to a different engine in an update.

The way to go about this is, as they have a 30-day time limit, to not receive any tickets until the next update is less than 30 days away; we never know precisely when an update will drop until 2-3 days before, but the last Thursday of each month is usually a good bet.

Once you reach that point, or a few days after for safety, get all the engine tickets you can from the Extra Menu Books and get grinding your Daily Mileage to get more standard tickets. Without quitting from the Gifts menu redeem them one by one and note what's inside them, then directly exit the game via the PS button.

Load back into the game and then only redeem those tickets that generate prizes you want (or can live with).

Once the update arrives, update the game, and go back and redeem all the remaining tickets (as the prizes won't change again unless there's another update, and we only see off-schedule updates for bug fixes).

Here's a full list of all the current known engines and their permissible applications; note that you cannot just 6.2-litre V8 all the things like in Forza!

Thanks for the responses y'all.

Even if I was much slower than the leader, the race was fun enough. Had some good clean battling with some people in the mid pack, which almost never happened in Forza. Sounds like I'll have to expect race A to simply be unfair some times. I can live with that. It just seems annoying that a racing game would artificially limit your ability to compete by restricting access to engines.

The roulette spins are disappointing. I've honestly been ignoring them, because I'd opened a bunch of them and only got the least valuable prize. Honestly the amount rewarded didn't seem worth suffering through the annoying animation and sound, hah.

The roulette spins are disappointing. I've honestly been ignoring them, because I'd opened a bunch of them and only got the least valuable prize. Honestly the amount rewarded didn't seem worth suffering through the annoying animation and sound, hah.
Around 80% of normal tickets will produce the lowest credit amount shown. That's not necessarily the least valuable prize though, as it depends on what you have already.

For example an Invitation to purchase one of the ten Brand Central cars only available through invitations, when you already have that car could be considered worthless. If you don't already have the car, it's useful, so long as you have the millions of credits required to buy the car.

Unless you have the Honda engine for the mini you will never be competetive against those that have it.That said without it you can get about 130 mph out of it.I managed to get the Honda engined and turboed Mini to under 700pp,however it does shred the tyres a tad.I really need to revisit it and sort the tune out properly.But here is a vid of it in action at Le Mans,it was pre any tuning of the suspension and LSD so i am a bit all over the show.

Last edited:
Back