New Route 246 Photo Essay

  • Thread starter Thread starter msako
  • 22 comments
  • 1,462 views
Messages
203
I just returned from Tokyo and walked Route 246 again. A new photo essay has been published. Apologies for typos and spelling errors. It's 91 pictures from the course. See: http://www.sotobori.com/2006r246/index.html or click on the second "Route 246" link at: http://www.sotobori.com/

It's not much different from my first photo essay of a few years ago but I was interested in seeing any changes that may have occurred. Additionally, I walked it on a Saturday instead of Sunday so the entire course was open to traffic this time.

It took me about three hours to walk the entire course, including a snack break at Akasaka-Mitsuke and a short visit to Honda Plaza.
 
Fantastic shots.
Next time I'm in Paris I'll bring my camera with me. :D
 
Well done! 👍

Nice to see this "track" in real life! :dopey:

Rergards
the Interceptor
 
the Interceptor
Well done! 👍

Nice to see this "track" in real life! :dopey:

Rergards
the Interceptor

Again - I need my agree button..

Very well Done 👍
 
Flerbizky
Again - I need my agree button..

Very well Done 👍

FIY, the 'agree' button is shown by a little red check on the top right corner of any post. So far I'm the only one who 'agreed' in this way that msako's pics are great...
💡
 
Nice!
i was looking for a Skyline in every single picture :lol:
 
awesome pics man!! :) I took a lovely trip to Tokyo without leaving my chair. keep up the awesome work
 
Thanks for the pictures.
Maybe I should do something like this next time I'm in Europe.👍
 
Master_Yoda
Nice!
i was looking for a Skyline in every single picture :lol:
I wouldn't look too hard - judging from this pic they're a no-no...

noskylines9er.jpg
 
At the moment, I'm trying to find every photographed location in GT4. I'm doing as many appropriate Photomode pictures as I can, and I'll put up the results here afterwards.

Regards
the Interceptor
 
Sorry for double-posting, but I wanted to bring this thread back up again. Here's the "GT4 vs- reality" photostory I promised. It was a lot of work, but I think it was worth it. I took the appropriate pictures from msako, made a slow run with a Honda NSX-R in GT4 and took photomode-pics. One major problem were the limited camera positions and angles to use. Furthermore, I mostly couldn't go to the locations msako took his pictures at. Nevertheless, it looks ok, with some stunningly real scenery. You'll find the real life pic at the top and the GT4 pic at the bottom.

Enjoy! 👍

We begin on the start-finishing line. This picture was taken looking back, in the background you'll see some buildings. Unfortunately, the closer scenery is covered by side fences and grandstands.


This is the look to the front, closer to the first turn. The buildings in the back are, just as well as the signs above the road, immaculately identifiable.


Here's one of the signs in detail. It suffers from a low resolution in the game, but still, you can clearly see that it's the same.


Obviously, we're 100 metres away from the first turn. The buildings in the back are very detailed, even the ad is the same. The sign on the left is partly covered by the distance sign.


After the first turn, we face a short stretch. The parked cars are missing in GT4, just as the leaves of the trees. The look on the building in the back is covered by some more ads.


After the quick left at the end of that stretch, we face a longer right turn. We'll discover that this turn is a part of a ring around that very building. In the back, we can already see the stadium.


We've reached the end of the turn. You can see the stadium on the left, and the building on the right is clearly identifiable as well.


Th net on the left, whatever purpose it may serve, in detail. There's (almost) everything, even the traffic light and the lantern.


This is the look down the short stretch. The stadium with its floodlights and the concrete wall is clearly visible.


A tad further down the road, we discover even more details which have found their way into the game.


We've arrived at the long right, representing one of the 180° curves that belong to the ring mentioned earlier.


Just before the corner. Look at the details of that stadium!


Making the turn, we pass some more signs above the street. It's almost spot on, only one sign is missing. Presumably it was added after GT4 had been launched.


We're still in that turn that seems to has no end. Don't get impatient, or you'll end up in the crash barrier on the left!


Tjhis map shows the ring that I mentioned earlier. At the moment, we are at the very right of the track I marked pink.


Finally, the turn had mercy on our tyres and sent us onto a very short stretch, facing a quick double-left.


Just after that turn, we pass a small police hut located on the left side. The angle is not quite correct, but there was no way to place the cam correctly.


We pass the hut quickly, hunting down the stretch to that wonderful highspeed-chicane. The leaves cover a lot of scenery detail here.


Let's go! :dopey:


Obviously, a truck loaded with some red paint has lost it here before.


The moment we passed the lowest point, we get a second to chill out before we face a very quick double-right.


Looking back onto the chicane. If you don't keep your foot onto the accelerator here driving a mid-engined car, you may be up to an unpleseant surprise.


We are at the entrance to the first right-handed turn. That black car and our NSX even are at the same position.


Having passed that turn, we see the following stretch. Despite the pedestrian crossing, there's nothing to run over here. We're playing the "real driving simulator", and not "granny busters III". :D


A tad further, you can see the crossing even better. We're just before that second, quick right-hander. Please pay attention to the white fence on the right, it leads us to the following picture.


Usually, you won't notice that palace in the game, as you are taking those quick corners. It is located on the inside of that very turn.


After the second one, we hover down towards the "end". The lanes of the oncoming traffic are closed for us, which makes the track rather narrow.


"Find the mistakes in the lower picture!" - who doesn't spot any similarities here can't be helped by anyone. We are on our way to the final curves.


That quick left turn, which makes you end up in the crash barrier when not taken properly, makes its way below another street.


This picture was taken at the same position. It shows a dowdy tarn - sorry - "beautiful lake in the heart of Tokyo" we're just circumscribing. (no offense to the Japanese!) :sly:


Here also, the mayor spent some red paint. It presumably was put on after GT4. You should also compare the buildings on the right.


There's another sign above the street. We're facing the hairpin-right, which brings us onto the main straight.


Only a few more metres, and it is "hard starboard" again. Meanwhile, the street above us has split in two. Mind the subway entrance on the right.


Here is that entrance again. It's not spot on, but at this point, you got other things on your mind anyway.


After the tricky hairpin, it's back onto the main straight again. Here, the street is still narrow, only widening when we get the other two lanes coming from above.


For completion, here's a look back onto the beginning of the stetch. This photo obviously was taken from a pedestrian bridge above the street.


If you want to look at these pictures unhurriedly, you'll find a zip file with all of them here: http://rapidshare.de/files/15895042/GT4vsRL.zip.html

(click on "Free", wait for the indicated time, enter the given code and click on the button next to the text box. Don't worry, this is just a free filehoster.)

Regards
the Interceptor
 
This is totally awesome. I bet you spent more time doing this than I did walking the course! With your permission, I'd like to host your zipfile on my website (attributed to you, of course) so people can download it from an alternate site (mine, free). Also, would it be OK to put your pictures into a contact sheet slide show format and host it? I'll put the appropriate attribution and credits in the comments.

Thanks for doing this.

the Interceptor
Sorry for double-posting, but I wanted to bring this thread back up again. Here's the "GT4 vs- reality" photostory I promised. It was a lot of work, but I think it was worth it. I took the appropriate pictures from msako, made a slow run with a Honda NSX-R in GT4 and took photomode-pics. One major problem were the limited camera positions and angles to use. Furthermore, I mostly couldn't go to the locations msako took his pictures at. Nevertheless, it looks ok, with some stunningly real scenery. You'll find the real life pic at the top and the GT4 pic at the bottom.


Regards
the Interceptor
 
Sure, go ahead. All this material can be used freely. :) 👍

Regards
the Interceptor
 
ferrari_chris
I wouldn't look too hard - judging from this pic they're a no-no...

noskylines9er.jpg
HUH! WHA! NOOO!! you sure those ar not no parking signs or somthing.
 
Master_Yoda
HUH! WHA! NOOO!! you sure those ar not no parking signs or somthing.
It just means you can't park facing the other direction there.

Awesome job The Interceptor!
 
@msako & the Interceptor

Totally amazing work from both of you here, a big fat thumbs up from me 👍 .

And once again the level of detail that PD has put into the circuits is clearly displayed here.

Regards (and rep) all round

Scaff
 
Apparently on this DVD Kazunori takes his Porsche around R246 in real life. The video was available online as part of a R246 mini website subsection thing but was removed a long time ago, if anyone still has it lying around, it’d be nice to see it :)!

gt3_0322_screen019.jpg


The track was modelled early in GT3s development and never got a complete makeover for GT4 unlike like Laguna Seca. The LS model in GT3 was simply a realigned GT2 one, much like that of the Rome and Seattle circuits. Seattle suffered the same fate as it still has it’s GT2 roots, ie. the track was never 2004-2005ised.

Excellent work msako and the Interceptor!
 
Damn, Interceptor, you've made me rethink the way that track is laid out. I've seriously never noticed half of that stuff (such as the subway entrace, palace or evan the on-ramp at the beginning of the main straight. And good job to msako for bringing the topic up.
ALPHA
The track was modelled early in GT3s development and never got a complete makeover for GT4 unlike like Laguna Seca. The LS model in GT3 was simply a realigned GT2 one, much like that of the Rome and Seattle circuits. Seattle suffered the same fate as it still has it’s GT2 roots, ie. the track was never 2004-2005ised.
Well, in PD's defense, at least Seattle and Rome haven't changed too terribly much from GT2 (besides, say, the destrucion of the stadium in Seattle, which is very noticable, but still), but Laguna Seca in both GT2 and GT3 looked nothing like the actual circuit, so I can understand and forgive PD for prioritizing it above Seattle and Rome.
 
Awesome job!
I hope to do the same when I go to rome this summer, Ive already had the track noted on my map months ago. Screw the colliseum, I want to walk down the GT3 track. :D
 
Back