New Seasonals Got Me Thinking...About Cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wonder_Pets
  • 23 comments
  • 3,094 views
Messages
75
Messages
Wonder_Pets
With the new seasonal up, which uses pre-69 cars, I got to thinking. We have plenty of cars to use, like the Fiats...Nissans, etc. But what about some of the rarer or lesser known cars? Wouldn't it be cool to be able to drive some of the older cars that we'd never have a chance to drive RL...or maybe some cars we've never even seen before? I made a short list of some cars I think it might be cool to give a spin. Feel free to toss in your own.

1968 Apal Horizon GT
1962 Auto Union 1000Sp Convertible
Abarth Simca 2000
Austin-Healey 3000
1963 Bandini 1000 GT
1965 Brasinca GT 4200 Uirapuru
1965 Saab 96
Matra 530
Maserati 5000 GT
Volvo P1800
1969 Toyota Publica
Wartburg 353
1967 VW Beetle

not to mention classic American cars that aren't in the game...like Thunderbirds, the Oldsmobile 442, and even some of the 70's cars like the Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega and Nova, AMC Gremlin and Pacer...just for fun.
 
Great suggestions, however I noticed that you mentioned the Ford Pinto.

It's the friggin Ford Pinto! The target of jokes! If anything, I would not include it as one of the classics. It's more proper to place it as a "funny car" if there were ever a Funny car DLC Pack. Dreadfull stock handling and suspension (Although fixable), it is a worthy to mention as a fascinating pile of scrap. :P
 
Last edited:
Yeah I'll pass on the Pinto...but add the Corvair to the list.

The problem I have is the UCD. You should be able to buy some of the standard cars at the dealers. Make the prices higher or something, but at least make them available. I hate waiting days/months to find a car. By the time it shows up, you're not interested anymore.
 
Great suggestions, however I noticed that you mentioned the Ford Pinto.

It's the friggin Ford Pinto! The target of jokes! If anything, I would not include it as one of the classics. It's more proper to place it as a "funny car" if there were ever a Funny car DLC Pack. Dreadfull stock handling and suspension (Although fixable), it is a worthy to mention as a fascinating pile of scrap. :P

Isn't the Pinto the car that also had the ...um... slight design flaw of placing the fuel tank in such a place that the slightest impact would cause the tank to rupture, the fuel to ignite and the whole car to become a death trap?
 
LOL, yeah, the Pinto is a heap, but how many of us have actually had the misfortune to drive one of these junkers. It's one of the few cars that rolled off the assembly line as a junker. But, I agree, it would be great in a Funny Car DLC pack.
 
Here we go again.

The old VW Beetle is in the game.
 
Yeah, the 1949, not the 1967. Big difference in the two.
 
Great suggestions, however I noticed that you mentioned the Ford Pinto.

It's the friggin Ford Pinto! The target of jokes! If anything, I would not include it as one of the classics. It's more proper to place it as a "funny car" if there were ever a Funny car DLC Pack. Dreadfull stock handling and suspension (Although fixable), it is a worthy to mention as a fascinating pile of scrap. :P

Yah you could include it in a "Clown Car" DLC. It would include of course the Pinto, Gremlin, Pacer, Chevette, LaCar, Fiesta, and some Russian Eastern Block piece of junk.....LOL
 
and then all of the enthusiasts of those "crappy" cars as you call them, will be whining and complaining that their favorite cars got bunched into a bunch of "funny/crappy/clown" cars.

probably not going to happen.
 
Isn't the Pinto the car that also had the ...um... slight design flaw of placing the fuel tank in such a place that the slightest impact would cause the tank to rupture, the fuel to ignite and the whole car to become a death trap?

No you are thinking of the corvair. Of course those weren't based on fact but on what Ralph Nader thought would happen if a rear mounted engine were struck from behind. because we all know when you rear end someone your car blows up. The book is Unsafe At any Speed and it is a truly terribl read.
 
No you are thinking of the corvair. Of course those weren't based on fact but on what Ralph Nader thought would happen if a rear mounted engine were struck from behind. because we all know when you rear end someone your car blows up. The book is Unsafe At any Speed and it is a truly terribl read.

No he's right about the Pinto having an unsafely constructed fuel tank, when Ford found out about this during development they calculated how much it would cost to redevelop it and how much it would cost if they left it that way and got sued for the accident damage about to ensue.
They decided to keep it as it was as that was the cheapest option...until the media discovered it.

The Unsafe At any Speed book by lawyer (and later presidential candidate) Ralph Nader was indeed a misguided attempt to discredit the rear-engined Chevrolet Corvair for unsafe handling (it was challenging to drive though) and it was the Corvair ironically which in hindsight promised a new more modern mainstream direction for American cars in the late fifties/early sixties, far away from the heavy V8 sedans and more European in approach.
That book and the lawsuit/media attention by Nader scared the Big Three into save conservatism for the next 3 decades, stagnating the development Nader tried to achieve by actually picking the car to criticize which could radically change American cars into a direction he would actually prefer strangely enough.
 
No he's right about the Pinto having an unsafely constructed fuel tank, when Ford found out about this during development they calculated how much it would cost to redevelop it and how much it would cost if they left it that way and got sued for the accident damage about to ensue.
They decided to keep it as it was as that was the cheapest option...until the media discovered it.

False.

The famous "Pinto Memo" is not an assessment of potential tort liability, but rather merely a statement of then-current US Government regulations. Additionally, when compared against other cars of the same era and size class, the Pinto was solidly mid-pack, with Japanese and German cars of the era (Datsun 1200/210, Toyota Corolla, VW Beetle) being more dangerous.

Citation
 
we should get the mustang 2, not the pinto. it was heavier, but it had a far better suspension.
 
No he's right about the Pinto having an unsafely constructed fuel tank, when Ford found out about this during development they calculated how much it would cost to redevelop it and how much it would cost if they left it that way and got sued for the accident damage about to ensue.
They decided to keep it as it was as that was the cheapest option...until the media discovered it.

The Unsafe At any Speed book by lawyer (and later presidential candidate) Ralph Nader was indeed a misguided attempt to discredit the rear-engined Chevrolet Corvair for unsafe handling (it was challenging to drive though) and it was the Corvair ironically which in hindsight promised a new more modern mainstream direction for American cars in the late fifties/early sixties, far away from the heavy V8 sedans and more European in approach.
That book and the lawsuit/media attention by Nader scared the Big Three into save conservatism for the next 3 decades, stagnating the development Nader tried to achieve by actually picking the car to criticize which could radically change American cars into a direction he would actually prefer strangely enough.
Which is exactly why I mentioned the Corvair as a car to add above. It would be great to pit it up against other cars of the era to see if it really is difficult to handle (provided PD simulates the car correctly).
 
I was most upset when I knew about the removal of the Auto Union Streamliner from gt5
 
Which is exactly why I mentioned the Corvair as a car to add above. It would be great to pit it up against other cars of the era to see if it really is difficult to handle (provided PD simulates the car correctly).

Please yes! The 'Vair! That was the car I drove as a teenager (yes, I'm old). I didn't appreciate cars at the time, but that car was fun for me to drive. Trust me, if it was that unsafe, I wouldn't be alive to type this message. I certainly put it through some testing, sober and otherwise!
 
lanciahffulvia.jpg


Lancia HF Fulvia. 👍
 
...Feel free to toss in your own.

Ok..

Citroen DS
Panhard 24 CT Tigre
Panhard LM 64 (1964)
Peugeot CD Le Mans (1966)
DKW (Auto Union) 1000 S / Sp
NSU Ro 80
NSU TTS
Bmw 700 CS
Hillman Imp
Ford Cortina Lotus
Fiat 124 Sport Abarth
Lancia Fulvia HF Fanalone
Opel Kadett Rally, Rekord, Commodore

...
 
Austin-Healey brand would be a great addition to the game IMO

and if your going to mention old Maserati cars then you need to add the Bora and the A6G/54 and the 3500GT all of thoes are superb works of art. The MC12 should also be worthy of adding.
 
Workingthecrowd-1.png


Stinger.png


How about the Yenko "Stinger" Corvair? It was a big surprize to a lot of the "big dogs" back in the 60's and 70's!
 
I actually had a Pinto wagon (2 door) back in the early 80's. The thing must have started rusting the minute it left the dealers lot, because it was rust bucket by the time I got it and it was only about 5 years old. Same engine as the 4 cyl Mustangs at the time, but the Pinto seemed to be much lighter and handled better because anytime I raced against my 2 buddies who had the Mustangs, I always won. Lots of fun I had it the car, but it really was a piece of junk.
 
Heh, for all the awfullness that IS the Ford Pinto, I would still like to have one of it's renditions in Gran Turismo, JUST for kicks and giggles. XD (Plus it will be a hilarious thing to watch in a race).
 
I owned a Chevy Vega GT out of high school, and although it was not designed to last, it was a really fun car to drive, especially in comparison to huge slabs of steel like the Chevy Impala, Plymouth Fury, Pontiac Grand Prix, and Dodge Monaco, both the Vega and the Pinto were awesome and inspiringly different drives! (Yeah, I drove all of those, plus the "compact" Ford Maverick, Plymouth Valiant, and Chevy Nova, which were just slightly smaller versions of the Ford Torino, Plymouth Satellite, and Chevy Chevelle respectively....

Compared to these other cars of the early 70's, the Pinto and Vega were really something different. I remember being especially impressed with the Pinto and it's German 4-speed transmission. Thing could definitely take care of itself, especially on a twisty road!

I'd love to see these cars appear in Gran Turismo, especially if we were able to purchase V8 Super Stock conversions as Race Mods in GT Auto!

_Dave_
 
Back