New setup, headphone sound issues.

• Thread starter rosckolove
  • 28 comments
United States
Pennsylvania
dayofwar2009
PSN#2 Roob_OG
Ok let me give you guys all the details before I go asking questions..

I recently purchased headphones (not a fan of headset sound quality) and purchased a bunch of adapters and butt connectors to connect them directly to the RCA's coming out of the PS3. It worked good enough, only problem being I didn't have any "on the fly" volume control. Today, I just got a new BenQ GL2450HM monitor. It has an HDMI port and a 3.5mm jack. I was kind of killing MANY birds with one stone per say as I was going from an old CRT that was maybe capable of running 720P. I now have great response time, AWESOME picture, and I thought I could run the sound out through the HDMI and plug my headphones into the monitor and BOOM adjustable volume. Nope.

Now heres the thing. When I setup the PS3 sound settings to go through HDMI and then test by plugging in the headphones to the monitor, everything is cool until I actually start up GT5. I can hear the XMB menu sounds but when I run the game I get nothing.

A long time ago when I didn't have a playstation and played at a buddies house, I ran into this exact problem. I could hear the menu, and other games but not GT5. I read somewhere that I had to go into the sound settings and hit custom and make sure ONLY the top check box was checked off (Dolby Digital 5.1 or whatever) and it worked just fine.

Well I tried that and I still get nothing. I made sure the settings saved by going back in and seeing the same checkbox was the only one selected.

So.... What do I do?

PS. I have tried switching inputs and removing and reconnecting the HDMI cable with no success.

Last edited:
Having the same issue with gt5 now and have had similar issues with COD games. I run headphones through digital output. And make sure I have Multiple-Outputs on . I can hear all PS3 sounds TILL the game starts, then nothing in the headphones, I fixed this before, can't remember how and its frustrating the heck out of me.

There's an option in your XMB settings for "Multi-audio output" .. Did you turn that on?

Multi audio out is for sending the sound out to multiple devices, say a pair of headphones and your tv at the same time. I have since got it working but have decided to go another route seeing as I'm a bit of an audiophile. I decided I'm going to purchase a heaphone amplifier. My question is, am I limited to ones that have 3.5mm and RCA as inputs or is it possible get one of the USB ones? Also, would a USB microphone work on the ps3? If not what route would I go then? Remember I'm not a fan of headsets.

Last edited:
I've had the Turtle Beach PX31's and 41's .. They're both very comfortable and I have no complaints about the quality. That's the route I would take. The 31's are excellent and about $100 cheaper but you only get 5.1 , if you want 7.1 the 41's would be required.

You can't change the headphone volume thru your TV!? Ive not had that problem. The problem I will have, when my girl is using my good head phones, I got to use a cheap pair and I can barley hear cars behind me (sucks when Im in bumper or in-car veiw)
My observations with headphones...

I've had the Turtle Beach PX31's and 41's .. They're both very comfortable and I have no complaints about the quality. That's the route I would take. The 31's are excellent and about $100 cheaper but you only get 5.1 , if you want 7.1 the 41's would be required.

I stated I don't want a headset because of sound quality issues. For much less you can buy a pair of stereo headphones that sound better. I have tried all kinds of headsets and they just arent up to par, especially for what your paying.

You can't change the headphone volume thru your TV!? Ive not had that problem. The problem I will have, when my girl is using my good head phones, I got to use a cheap pair and I can barley hear cars behind me (sucks when Im in bumper or in-car veiw)
My observations with headphones...

Heres the thing. When I go straight from RCA's to the headphones it sounds ok but there is no volu me control. When audio goes out the HDMI into my monitor and back out to my headphones, I get volume control but it sounds like crap.

So.... I did some research on headphone amplifiers and decided that was the way to go since I also watch movies and listen to music with them.

Does anyone have any experience with them? A lot of them are meant for pc use so they get audio information through USB. Is that possible with a ps3? Or do I have to stick with one that accepts RCA or 3.5mm inputs?

My question is, am I limited to ones that have 3.5mm and RCA as inputs or is it possible get one of the USB ones? Also, would a USB microphone work on the ps3? If not what route would I go then? .

I have tried all kinds of headsets and they just arent up to par.

Does anyone have any experience with them? A lot of them are meant for pc use so they get audio information through USB. Is that possible with a ps3? Or do I have to stick with one that accepts RCA or 3.5mm inputs?

It looks like to me you are try to do this the cheapest way possible, sometimes that just doesn't work. it's the unfortunate truth.. As far as the items I quoted, I quoted them for a reason. Like the turtle beach head phones I described, they use a USB microphone and a 3.5mm plug that gets plugged into the RCA's via a splitter and converter. Any $70+ pair of good gaming headphones is going to have that kind of setup, which tells me if you did not know this, you have only tried cheap, meaning 🤬 headsets.. Trust me, I know you want to keep arguing that your headphones are better, but I listen to my iPod at work sometimes on a $35 pair of headphones and the sound is nothing compared to even the second cheapest Turtle beach headset (approx. $70). You do not get that rich ambient sound and quality bass from a normal pair of headphones, and honestly to get that quality you will have to buy at least a $40-$50 set of regular headphones.. So I stress the point, what's $20 more?

I know I am not answering your question, and since its been up for a day almost, and no one has answered it, that's probably for a reason don't you think? I'm just saying, buy them, try them, you don't like them, all stores have at least a 48 hour return policy on electronics.. The Turtle Beach PX21's are the headphones I am recommending for you, they should be around $70 US.

It looks like to me you are try to do this the cheapest way possible, sometimes that just doesn't work. it's the unfortunate truth.. As far as the items I quoted, I quoted them for a reason. Like the turtle beach head phones I described, they use a USB microphone and a 3.5mm plug that gets plugged into the RCA's via a splitter and converter. Any $70+ pair of good gaming headphones is going to have that kind of setup, which tells me if you did not know this, you have only tried cheap, meaning 🤬 headsets.. Trust me, I know you want to keep arguing that your headphones are better, but I listen to my iPod at work sometimes on a $35 pair of headphones and the sound is nothing compared to even the second cheapest Turtle beach headset (approx. $70). You do not get that rich ambient sound and quality bass from a normal pair of headphones, and honestly to get that quality you will have to buy at least a $40-$50 set of regular headphones.. So I stress the point, what's $20 more?

I know I am not answering your question, and since its been up for a day almost, and no one has answered it, that's probably for a reason don't you think? I'm just saying, buy them, try them, you don't like them, all stores have at least a 48 hour return policy on electronics.. The Turtle Beach PX21's are the headphones I am recommending for you, they should be around $70 US.

Agree with you 100% on this. I also use a Turtle Beach Headset and wouldn't change them for a pair of headphones if you paid me. I have them hooked up exactly like you described, which took me all of a couple of minutes. The model I have has the in-line volume control with separate controls for chat volume and game volume, a very nice feature indeed. I really can't believe the OP wouldn't take this route. Realitively cheap, easy to set up with a great sound...bam, no fuss and you're done.

I myself am an audiophile and have been for many years. I simply don't buy into the argument that heaphones are better than headsets for gaming. No way. But if the OP wants to do it the cheap way, he is going to get cheap sound. While there are some really nice headphones out there, they are simply not made with gaming in mind therefore you are not going to get the great sound with the added features as you would get with a good headset. You should really re-think your options here rosckolove.

I am not trying to do this the cheapest way. Money is an issue but I learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for. That being said I am using a pair of Sony studio headphones. I also have a pair of cheap $70 skull candy headphones that sound better than two different models of turtle beaches and in my opinion sound better than triton ax pro's. I can't believe in Any way that you guys are that into sound if you say turtle beaches beat a quality pair of headphones that cost less. Go to any website devoted to that kind of thing and they will all tell you the same thing, headset sound quality sucks compared to a decent set of headphones. And besides that, I have stated multiple times I'm not interested in a headset and gave multiple reasons. This shouldn't be about convincing me that headsets are what I want, because it isn't what I want and I stated why....... Does anyone have Any experience with headphone amplifiers.. Any reccomendations on THAT type of unit? Or know the best route to take with audio input for headphone amps?

Last edited:
because it isn't what I want and I stated why.......

Because of quality and price? We just told you the quality of our headsets (which you have not tried). Then you told us about your more expensive regular headset? And then you asked about USB microphones?

It's as simple as this, your on a GT5 forum and considering this has progressed to something that in no way, shape, or form has anything to do with GT5 I suggest you try the "console and PC gaming" or "Sim Racing Hardware" forum.. We have given you our opinions and offered you a "guaranteed to work" alternative from members of the GT5 community..

Edit: I have contacted a moderator and asked that they move your thread to a more appropriate place.

Last edited:
Hahaha.... Well see it started as a simple question. And evolved. I chose gtplanet because generally people here know their stuff and are very helpfull. Also because info for headphone amps on ps3's is limited. What about USB microphones...... I don't want to pay for a crappy sounding headset.. And I don't want to watch movies or listen to music with my stupid 7.1 surround headphones I paid way to much for. But hey, thanks for your help, bro. I'll go somewhere else.

I chose gtplanet because generally people here know their stuff and are very helpfull.

I meant the sub-forums on this website, i'm not trying to run you off GTPlanet, i'm trying to point you to the right forum on this website so maybe you can get the correct help, this is GTPlanet but this is the GT5 forum on GTPlanet. I'm saying try the more "technical" forums. I'll post links, one sec..

EDIT:

Sim Racing and hardware forums:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=163

And PS3 gaming specific questions:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24&prefixid=ps3

You can probably move the thread yourself, by using "Thread tools" drop-down menu in the red horizontal bar at the top of the page, or tell me where you want it. Or start a new one over there and we'll close this one.

I personally use a bluetooth earpiece and clip it to my collar, and use my Sennheiser headphones for sound.

You can set the bluetooth earpiece to function as a microphone only in the PS3's audio device settings and for all speech and in game sounds to be routed to the headphones.

Have you tried this setup?

I personally use a bluetooth earpiece and clip it to my collar, and use my Sennheiser headphones for sound.

You can set the bluetooth earpiece to function as a microphone only in the PS3's audio device settings and for all speech and in game sounds to be routed to the headphones.

Have you tried this setup?
I know of this method. I have not priced any out yet. I was looking at corded mics with a stand for few reasons. It would look better, not have to worry about charging. And less likely to lose it. I have recently learned a USB. Mic will work so I think I'm gonna take that route. My question now is, does anyone know if a headphone amp will pic up on sound out of the USB ports or am I limited to the RCA 3.5mm or optical digital input ones? The only reason I ask is because most of the amps I'm looking at are DAC digital to analog convertors. Meaning they draw sound from USB ports.

I like to go wired. I had a suspect experience recently, playing on someone else's gear. With a wireless headset and wireless controller plugged in, I was getting input lag. I then extended one of the dongles, and the issue was resolved. The thing is, if it's wired you know it will work as intended.

I use Audio Technica AD900X headphones, an Astro mixamp, and a standalone 3.5mm mic. I am very happy with the setup. If the listening environment allows, open backed headphones can make a massive difference in clarity and soundstage. I have not tried them, but Sennheiser HD360s would be worth a look for people wanting an open back headset.

rosckolove, is the Astro mixamp something that would interest you? If so, I would be happy to give my impressions of the three versions that have been released. The mixamps decode surround, and can switch between stereo and surround modes. Also, the sound that I get from my tv for headphones is absolute rubbish (this, from a Pioneer), so I would not trust the sound via your monitor anyway.

I like to go wired. I had a suspect experience recently, playing on someone else's gear. With a wireless headset and wireless controller plugged in, I was getting input lag. I then extended one of the dongles, and the issue was resolved. The thing is, if it's wired you know it will work as intended.

I use Audio Technica AD900X headphones, an Astro mixamp, and a standalone 3.5mm mic. I am very happy with the setup. If the listening environment allows, open backed headphones can make a massive difference in clarity and soundstage. I have not tried them, but Sennheiser HD360s would be worth a look for people wanting an open back headset.

rosckolove, is the Astro mixamp something that would interest you? If so, I would be happy to give my impressions of the three versions that have been released. The mixamps decode surround, and can switch between stereo and surround modes. Also, the sound that I get from my tv for headphones is absolute rubbish (this, from a Pioneer), so I would not trust the sound via your monitor anyway.
This is the method i was going to suggest as seams to be exactly what he's looking for, Im not sure a normal headphone amp will be able control game and chat volumes separatly

I actually think I'm just gonna purchase some astro a40's with the mixamp. I was fine with stereo headphones but decided I like call of duty to much. They are open back if I remember correctly, or read correctly.

Last edited:
I actually think I'm just gonna purchase some astro a40's with the mixamp. I was fine with stereo headphones but decided I like call of duty to much. They are open back if I remember correctly, or read correctly.

Ok, I have no experience with the Astro headphones/set, but I think that they are considered semi-open. They are definitely stereo headphones, it's the mixamp that weaves the simulated surround magic into them.

The mixamps, I have quite some experience with. I have been through all three versions of the mixamp, due to faults and damaged goods. Version 1 and 2 look very similar, but version one is recognisable as having a beveled edge on the knobs. Version 3 (2013 edition) can be identified due to it having three small buttons instead of two. It has eq preset options that the others do not.

Now, the latest is not necessarily the greatest. As it stands right now, I would say that version 2 is the best sounding mixamp. Version 1 has a distortion issue with bass heavy material which precludes it from the outset. The problem with version 3 is that none of the presets (in my opinion) sound as good as the one sound that the version 2 has. BUT!! The promised custom eq option (via firmware update) for version 3 may ultimately make it the supreme version. I settled on version 3, and have my fingers crossed that they deliver on the custom eq option.

Again, I have no experience with the A40 headphones, but you should take note that they are not doing anything beyond what standard stereo headphones are doing (aside from having the mic). From what I have read, a really good option would be to pair an Astro mixamp with a Siberia V2 headset. It would end up significantly cheaper, and give better performance to boot. Also, they are low ohms, so driving them properly would be no issue.

Feel free to ask more. I have many opinions, and some are even informed ones.

Ok, I have no experience with the Astro headphones/set, but I think that they are considered semi-open. They are definitely stereo headphones, it's the mixamp that weaves the simulated surround magic into them.

The mixamps, I have quite some experience with. I have been through all three versions of the mixamp, due to faults and damaged goods. Version 1 and 2 look very similar, but version one is recognisable as having a beveled edge on the knobs. Version 3 (2013 edition) can be identified due to it having three small buttons instead of two. It has eq preset options that the others do not.

Now, the latest is not necessarily the greatest. As it stands right now, I would say that version 2 is the best sounding mixamp. Version 1 has a distortion issue with bass heavy material which precludes it from the outset. The problem with version 3 is that none of the presets (in my opinion) sound as good as the one sound that the version 2 has. BUT!! The promised custom eq option (via firmware update) for version 3 may ultimately make it the supreme version. I settled on version 3, and have my fingers crossed that they deliver on the custom eq option.

Again, I have no experience with the A40 headphones, but you should take note that they are not doing anything beyond what standard stereo headphones are doing (aside from having the mic). From what I have read, a really good option would be to pair an Astro mixamp with a Siberia V2 headset. It would end up significantly cheaper, and give better performance to boot. Also, they are low ohms, so driving them properly would be no issue.

Feel free to ask more. I have many opinions, and some are even informed ones.

Thank you so much for your reply, and all of your info.

What exactly are surround sound headphones? Do they have multiple drivers in them? How does the mix amp produce forward and rearward sound staging within a pair of stereo headphones?

I am interested in being able to determine peoples locations in Call of Duty.

What are your opinions on the Audio Technica AD700's? I don't think its possible to use a Zalman Clip-On mic through the mix amp is it? At this point I have to consider a powered USB hub since i'll be running my G27, Mixamp, USB mic, and 1 or 2 charging cords for the DS3.

Last edited:
Simulated surround through stereo headphones can serve extremely well in the sound quality department, and very well in the tactical. I am always amazed when I do the "Maximize Your Home Theater" setup featured on Pixar DVDs and BDs. The audio section checks all of the channels, and through the mixamp and good (preferably open) headphones, you would swear that the surround channels were sounding from behind.

I would not recommend a multiple driver headphone.

The way that simulated surround is done is something really smart that I do not know, but it works.

AD700s are highly regarded, but are definitely bass light. They have the frequency range at their disposal though, so there is plenty of potential for running through an amp at some point to boost bass. If you can't try these things out for yourself, all you can really do is read, read, read. Work out which people on various forums were after the same result as you. I wanted to be able to use my headphone setup anywhere, so I would not have gone for AD700s, due to the lack of bass punch. They will have a great feeling of space with them, and very positional though. Maybe the bass boost on the newest mixamp was especially for AD700 users? I don't know.

Ok, question. Why do you recommend the steel series over the a40's? I know they are cheaper but could you explain why they would perform better? So I can do a bit of my own research.

Back