New statistics about GT5:P

• Thread starter Fruitcake
  • 23 comments
are you sure this for GT:P ? because GT:P only has around 40 cars and a couple of tracks at this rate then its going to take a lot more time get GT5 out

From the interview :

AW: What did it take to create GT5 Prologue?

KY: We have 120 people working on the game, 40 of whom are car modelers. Roughly speaking, it's taken us three years and 320,000 man-hours to get this far. For the very first Gran Turismo, one car model took us an average of one day to create. It now takes us 180 days to do one car. In GT4, we used 4000 to 5000 polygons to create one car. That's basically the number of polygons in one car's light assembly in GT5 Prologue, where a whole car is on average 200,000 polygons.

WOW....

are you sure this for GT:P ? because GT:P only has around 40 cars and a couple of tracks at this rate then its going to take a lot more time get GT5 out

Well, this is a big hint: "AW: What did it take to create GT5 Prologue?"

:dopey:

You know, i am in awe of the GT series just like most ppl..... but i have to ask the question..... is all this "car" detail really really necessary?? at the end of the day i want a totally emursive experience which means all aspects.... not just the details of the cars... (IMHO) i think they are investing too much time into the cars and this seriously delays the completion of the game as well as taking their focus away from other more important areas like sound design and physics..... I'm sure most of you will probably disagree with me!! but i'd love to hear everyones views and opinions on this....

after all... they have spent all this time on the cars and yet there are so many complaints here about the graphic glitches... and jaggies and shimmering etc....

<snip>

after all... they have spent all this time on the cars and yet there are so many complaints here about the graphic glitches... and jaggies and shimmering etc....

I do believe we've been over this before. What we have is a demo of an unreleased Prologue to a game that's due _sometime_ in 2008.. Of course glitches are to be expected - PD isn't Blizzard afterall... ( in which case, we'd get the game in 3008)

_sometime_ being an invented word meaning perhaps...

I like how He/They consistently "Hype" about the polygon counts of the cars and mention nothing about gameplay and how the car's physics are derived/designed....you know the more important stuff.

This is like Ferrari telling potential customers that the F430 had 3000 more screws than the F360 and mention nothing about how it drives.

If all they can say about the game is polygon counts and GTTV + a calender.....then something is not right.

Its going to have a similar set up to all the other gts, but with online play what else is there to say! I dont mean that in a bad way but what else can he talk about other than his fascination with unparalleled car detail!

Notice how they mentioned that GT5: Prologue is coming early next year (2008), pathetic. I predict the full game is scheduled to release in the year 4008.

(IMHO) i think they are investing too much time into the cars and this seriously delays the completion of the game as well as taking their focus away from other more important areas like sound design and physics
The graphic team on these next gen games is always big, especially with something like a racing game, and especially if they intend to cram in a ton of cars. The sound design team is probably the smallest.

Edit: and by the way, 40 car modellers out of 120 is only one third of the team. I'm just waking up after a fun day of HDTV shopping so numbers are a bit fuzzy for me right now. ;)

The good thing is that the amount of polygons in GT5 is sufficient for a long future, so KY's team doen't have to go back car remodeling stage like from GT2 to GT3 or GT4 to GT5. They can focus on features, physics and tracks for the future versions of GT.

The good thing is that the amount of polygons in GT5 is sufficient for a long future, so KY's team doen't have to go back car remodeling stage like from GT2 to GT3 or GT4 to GT5. They can focus on features, physics and tracks for the future versions of GT.
Well said, All they need to do is 'Build up the car database' then they can concentrate on everything else. And everything else means alot.

I don't understand why Amazon has a release date of 2007, and shows bikes in the game? When Prologue is already out, and no bikes have been mentioned...

I've jsut checked Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk .com has GT5:Prologue listed as 30th June 08 but it does mention superbikes, no idea why, but it does. Amazon.co.uk has GT5 listed as 30th of March and has no mention of bikes.

Fast forward 10 years....... "back in the ps3 days we only used 200,000 polys per car..... nowadays we avg about 1,000,000 per car.... it used to take us only 180 days to do one car.... now we need about 1 year per car!! we r striving for perfection in our cars!!!" :sly::drool:

Fast forward 10 years....... "back in the ps3 days we only used 200,000 polys per car..... nowadays we avg about 1,000,000 per car.... it used to take us only 180 days to do one car.... now we need about 1 year per car!! we r striving for perfection in our cars!!!" :sly::drool:

We'll all be dead before GT7 comes out.

400,000 actually. :P

The thing that I'm more concerned about, is how to convince my wife that I need to buy a Playstation 3 and Gran Turismo 5. LOL!

We'll all be dead before GT7 comes out.

Possibly, lol.

To be honest I can't see polygon useage going much higher for the models, at least not for the car models. Let's face it, GT5's already have the body panels modelled seperate form each other, the badges, everything is modelled seperately. It's fantastic. What will improve and will make a bigger difference to just adding polygons is texture mapping, lighting and reflection mapping. All of that will imo be the ace of the next generation of consoles, not polygon pushing, though I expect it to rise, I would see it used more for for environments and objects around the environments as opposed to giving the cars a higher count just for the hell of it.

The thing that I'm more concerned about, is how to convince my wife that I need to buy a Playstation 3 and Gran Turismo 5. LOL!

Tell her you need a blu-ray player and something to surf the net on your new shiny hdtv. Worked for me. :)

400,000 actually. :P

Possibly, lol.

Tell her if you don't buy a PS3, the terrorist wins.

The stats apply to Prologue and GT5.
According to Sonys official website, each individual car has taken six months to create
from photographs to the final game images. Though they have had a very large team
working on the cars alone over the last few years.

Back