New Steering Wheel or VR?

• Thread starter MrBlue3
  • 8 comments

High End Steering Wheel and Pedals or VR? Which is the best upgrade to get first

• Fanatec CSL Elite Formula Wheel and Pedal Set (or equivalent)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Oculus Rift S VR (or equivalent)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have been Sim racing for about a year now and race on either ACC or F1 2020. My setup consists of a high-end gaming PC (i7 with 2080Ti GFX), 49" Ultrawide Samsung Monitor and a Thrustmaster TMX Force Feedback Steering Wheels and pedals. I would like to think that I am above average level with my driving and may start looking at other Sims such as iRacing.

My question is, what would be the next best upgrade, would it be to invest in a better setting wheel setup, something like a Fanatec belt or direct drive and with force feedback pedals or would it be better to keep the existing wheel and invest in VR, possible Oculus Rift S?

The reason for my question is that I have never used a steering wheel at a higher level that the TMX, which although has feedback doesn't feel that realistic and also the pedals have no feeling at all. However I have also never used VR, but I can see a lot of Sim racers love it. I have about £1000 to spend, so do I go wheel & pedal set or VR? In the end I will probably have both, but what would be the best first upgrade?

Thanks all.

About half that money will get you a really good VR headset. You will be spending all of that and a bit more to get a really good wheelbase, then you need to get pedals and a steering wheel.

I'd also say that the difference between a flat-screen and VR is much greater than the difference between two different quality wheels.

However, you could pick a decent VR headset and a base like the Fanatec CSL Elite + a steering wheel for close to your budget, shouldn't be too expensive to pick up a decent set of pedals second hand from eBay.

That way you have the best of both worlds.

What I would do is keep the steering wheel, get a good loadcell pedal set (T-LCM or Fanatec pedals which are also standalone pedals), and VR. You could still use the monitor for racing games that aren't compatible with VR.

A high-end steering wheel won't make you faster. A very good pedal set with loadcell could make you faster, at least more consistent.

About half that money will get you a really good VR headset. You will be spending all of that and a bit more to get a really good wheelbase, then you need to get pedals and a steering wheel.

I'd also say that the difference between a flat-screen and VR is much greater than the difference between two different quality wheels.

However, you could pick a decent VR headset and a base like the Fanatec CSL Elite + a steering wheel for close to your budget, shouldn't be too expensive to pick up a decent set of pedals second hand from eBay.

That way you have the best of both worlds.

Thank you. From comments and research it does appear that a better pedal set is more effective than a better steering wheel. However you are correct, that I could have both VR and a pedal set. Have you used a CSL Elite and is it good enough, or should I be looking more at the v2.5 although it is double the price at £550 for the wheel base alone?

What I would do is keep the steering wheel, get a good loadcell pedal set (T-LCM or Fanatec pedals which are also standalone pedals), and VR. You could still use the monitor for racing games that aren't compatible with VR.

A high-end steering wheel won't make you faster. A very good pedal set with loadcell could make you faster, at least more consistent.

Thank you so much. That is what I have decided to do. After a lot of research it does seem that the pedals is the next best investment. Have you used both teh T-LCM and the Fanatec pedals. There is not that much difference between them cost wise (around £50). Although the fanatec does allow you to adjust the horizontal location of the pedals, which I think I would find very useful as all the games I play are sequential shift so no clutch needed.

Thank you. From comments and research it does appear that a better pedal set is more effective than a better steering wheel. However you are correct, that I could have both VR and a pedal set. Have you used a CSL Elite and is it good enough, or should I be looking more at the v2.5 although it is double the price at £550 for the wheel base alone?
I used to have a CSW v2 before upgrading to the DD. The V2 was a great wheel and I'm sure the V2.5 will be a refined version of that. I've never tried a CSL Elite but from everything I've read it should be a decent step up from your current wheel.

Like me you have 49" Sammy so know just how much it adds to the immersion. VR takes it to a whole different level. When you look at what VR headsets available for £500 - £600, you buy one and an excellent set of pedals for under your budget and have a nice little chunk left over to start saving for a wheel.

Upgraded to DD awhile back but ran the CSL Elite before that and it’s a great wheel for the price. It’s still sitting in my closet.
I agree with the others as you already have a good monitor I’d focus on my hands and feet first.

Back