New to Forza and XBox

• Thread starter MadJacks7
  • 27 comments
United States
United States
I have been a lifelong GT fan and ps4 for that matter.

But my 9 year old has “forced” me and the magic of Santa Claus to build him an xbox. So I felt the need to ask for a game also which would be forza motorsport 7.

I guess anybody have any good tips, tricks and/or ideas on how I should approach my initial trial of FM7 in 5 days or so...

Appreciate the advice!

I’ll keep this short as it’s late where I am right now:

• The game has plenty of assists to make cars easier to drive, including all of the ones you’ve come to expect from Gran Turismo.
  • The game does a decent job at holding your hand through the first few hours of Single Player but you’re pretty much on your own after that to explore.
  • The game handles well on a controller and most cars are driveable out of the box.
  • Some of the cars cannot be bought, you can win the more desirable ones through career events (these are one-time only rewards so don’t sell them) but the rest are reserved for timed in-game activities or community events.
  • Currency can be hard to come by so try to be frugal in the initial hours.
  • Tunes and Liveries can be shared online and you can download any other person’s content for free (they get a small reward when you do).
  • The majority of the game is built around Homologation. If you are upgrading your cars they will need to meet certain build limits before you can use them in most events. In Free Play you can disable these limits.
  • You can buy and sell most cars through the Auction House. These are transactions with real players.
  • Avoid Multiplayer until you can beat Pro AI difficulty races without crashing into other cars. Forza Multiplayer is a rough place and you need a high level of pace and awareness in order to avoid “the madness”.

Hi and welcome! When starting the game you will be prompted to do 3 different races, after which you will begin the career mode properly. Just relax and enjoy! You can go to free play any time to get acquainted with the cars and the tracks before you begin the Forza Cup. Use as many assists as you like until you find the driving style that suits you and is more fun to you. Also check other threads here for guidance on events like the Forzathon, Leagues, the Specialty Dealer, and etc. Also, your first car will be a gift, so choose wisely...

Thank you guys for the insight. My wife also is getting me a wheel so Im gonna be in heaven here. Gonna be hard to part time my time between bot GTS and FM7.

I will look further into these posts after I get home. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Forza for Single Player and car customisation, Gran Turismo for Multiplayer. Problem solved ;)

Good point. Looking forward to it, I guess I will need a good versatile car to start with it seems.

Im trying to hold off my bias with GT, but the lack of “career mode” really isnt ideal. I like multiplayer racing but its nonstop. Having kids the pause button sometimes is handy. I also like having to race for something as in an offline career mode.

There is times for both so I will consider your advice!

I was heavy GT biased until jumping from GT5 to FM4. I play it like I did the first few GT’s, get a cheap car and work my way through.

Control play is absolutely great, light years better than GT. Switch clutch and hand break buttons if you have to play with controller.

Rivals is a great way to earn credits, learn tracks and see what the faster guys are doing different. Multiplayer can be like thunderdome, but 10-24 go in to turn one and 1 or 2 come out. Patience is key there, let the tards crash each other then work your way to the front.

Thank you guys for the insight. My wife also is getting me a wheel so Im gonna be in heaven here. Gonna be hard to part time my time between bot GTS and FM7.

I will look further into these posts after I get home. Thanks again.

Also look at getting a wheel that you can use on both PS4 and FM7
options:
  • Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 and a CSL Xbox steering wheel
  • Most popular wheels on the market + Drivehub (or gimx and a pc / raspberry pi if you get an xbox wheel - may need some setting up to get it to work right)
A lot of wheels may work on ps4 but not on xbox - same applies to working on xbox and not ps4.

My 2 cents.

I just ordered a drive hub. Hoping that it will work well with my CSR Elite. Right now I am playing FM7 on the PC with this wheel but would love to be able to use it with the XB1 and at some point the PS4 for the other titles that do not have a PC version. I played FM6 with a cheap spider wheel. Big difference between that and the Fanatec wheel.

So I have been playing Forza since Christmas. My wife got me a thrustmaster wheel so I can only use it for GTS.

Here is my thoughts:

I am impressed with the amount of content in Forza. Its that overwhelming feeling that GT5 and 6 gave me. Like where do I start!? Lets start small with normal people cars and work through a career. I love it. I have used credits sparingly only now buying some mod crates. Not sure how I feel about them atm but nice way to earn some extra %.

The car selections are great! Using only my prize/reward cars. Need to figure out the Rivals and forzathon more however i see there is some cars needed to complete some of the challenges.

Currently I am on the second stage of the career, I use long races seems better. 2 lap races arent exciting. The AI can be sporatic which in some way I like.

I just find myself immersed into Forza...

The gameplay/physics is much more arcade-ish looking to me compared to GTS. Im on 4k. The physic model does take some getting used to but for what it offers its beyond acceptable.

Did I mention I havent played GTSport in 4 days!!! Not sure whats going to happen here...

Any more tips? Im a car collector of some sorts so im saving my money, any pointers how to get these “special” vehicles? The Porsche GT3? Some others?

So I have been playing Forza since Christmas. My wife got me a thrustmaster wheel so I can only use it for GTS.

Here is my thoughts:

I am impressed with the amount of content in Forza. Its that overwhelming feeling that GT5 and 6 gave me. Like where do I start!? Lets start small with normal people cars and work through a career. I love it. I have used credits sparingly only now buying some mod crates. Not sure how I feel about them atm but nice way to earn some extra %.

The car selections are great! Using only my prize/reward cars. Need to figure out the Rivals and forzathon more however i see there is some cars needed to complete some of the challenges.

Currently I am on the second stage of the career, I use long races seems better. 2 lap races arent exciting. The AI can be sporatic which in some way I like.

I just find myself immersed into Forza...

The gameplay/physics is much more arcade-ish looking to me compared to GTS. Im on 4k. The physic model does take some getting used to but for what it offers its beyond acceptable.

Did I mention I havent played GTSport in 4 days!!! Not sure whats going to happen here...

Any more tips? Im a car collector of some sorts so im saving my money, any pointers how to get these “special” vehicles? The Porsche GT3? Some others?

Have you tried the current Bounty Hunter challenge? You will get the Porsche 911 RSR just for participating (And the Ferrari 599 GTO most likely if you beat the challenge time.)
You can visit the Specialty Dealer every Tuesday at 6:00 PM CST to purchase rare vehicles, also you can go to the Auction House to bid for some.
For Rivals events you can use rentals.

Last edited:
I beat two rival times so far...maybe im a noob. I am. Didnt receive a Ferrari only my level up gift. I dont recieve the Porsche until after event closes.

What am I doing wrong?

I beat two rival times so far...maybe im a noob. I am. Didnt receive a Ferrari only my level up gift. I dont recieve the Porsche until after event closes.

What am I doing wrong?
You get the cars sometime after the event closes, you will know via the message center. You get the Forzathon cars after completing all the events related. When doing Rivals or Free Play races you continue leveling up.

@JeffKill I will look into it for sure. Still trying to master the XBoxcontroller and the Forza physics. Running with some assists on still but slowly trying to limit them.

Also have been increasing the Driver Avatar.

Got the three forzathon cars and wondering if the specialty cars are worth the price. Was up over a million, but had to buythe Bel Air and NSX. NSX is an amazing car forgot how much I loved it back from the GT days.

@JeffKill I will look into it for sure. Still trying to master the XBoxcontroller and the Forza physics. Running with some assists on still but slowly trying to limit them.

Also have been increasing the Driver Avatar.

Got the three forzathon cars and wondering if the specialty cars are worth the price. Was up over a million, but had to buythe Bel Air and NSX. NSX is an amazing car forgot how much I loved it back from the GT days.
The C 63 AMG is an easy recommendation from me, it’s a blast and my go-to car in its division. The CRX Mugen is underpowered, I prefer the Clio Williams. I have the M635 also, but have not runned it. most Bimmers in the game are great anyways.

Yeah I am gonna buy them...

So I started an “Open” race series in career. Apparently I have to finish the entire series and cant back out. Ran 3 long races and backed out to look at the auction. I had to restart the series! Oh well cant complain...learning on the fly here.

Im almost leaning towards Forza being a better game experience that GTS. If taking in account the cool challenges, career mode, car selection, track selection, and seems like there is just more to do.

Havent tried multiplayer yet as I dont think I am used to the physics yet to run clean so I dont want to run it until I feel I can run clean.

GTS gets the nod on sheer beauty, I enjoy the Sport races but lets face it only 3 to choose from and they seem repetitive at this stage. I was excited about the GT Campaign but feels a bit stale to me at this point.

Also I have most all the cars I really want add in the daily gifts. All the must haves I own. Add in 8 million its just not making me want to jump in, unfortunately...

Edit

I guess my next thing to tackle is building a good tune or a good tuner

Last edited:
So I started an “Open” race series in career. Apparently I have to finish the entire series and cant back out. Ran 3 long races and backed out to look at the auction. I had to restart the series! Oh well cant complain...learning on the fly here.

I'm guessing you accidentally selected a different class when you re-entered. I learned about that the hard way as well. :lol:

You don’t need to finish a series in one sitting, you can exit to the menu and try other things. When you get back to the Forza Driver’s Cup the series you started will be tagged (the slots of the completed races will have a check mark.)

Last edited:
and regardless of the last car you got into, you will switch back to the last elegible car you used for the series.

The Open championships are different as it brings up the car selection screen with every car you own, but neglects to tell you that you have to start over if you switch classes.

Thats what I did, went with the NSX so I must have switched to the BMW e30 M3.

I did notice that once you start a series it must be finished. Will pay more attention next time but still made some good credits/points!

Whats everyone’s thoughts on tuning? I like to say I know a little bit about a little bit. Forza tuning I have zero experience. Do you recommend downloading tunes? I tried sorting through some but they seem like a cluster!

You can switch cars if they are in the same division, but the NSX is Sports GT Icons and the E30 is I think Sport Touring. I’m not much of a tuner, I usually only adjust the rear differential (to prevent lift oversteer), brake balance (to shorten braking distances), and front suspension stiffness (to reduce understeer). I think you should try tuning for yourself first to get a feel for the changes... many cars are perfect for me out of the box anyways!

I tried sorting through some but they seem like a cluster!

Searching for anything in Forza is pretty much useless, partially because of T10's design and partially because the creators themselves don't give a description or put things in the right categories half the time. What @Nacho Libre said is probably about all you'll need for single player, for online play you can always just download a tune off the leaderboard instead of trying to search for a tune.

Yeah I have noticed each car has a bit of personality which I enjoy. Think maybe switching up the gear box to fit the track may be the route i go for now.

Thanks for the info also.

Latest Posts

Back