New to GT5 need to clear up a few things.

Messages
6
Messages
RudePerformance
Hi, am new to GT5 but not to the GT series. So recently I started playing GT5 and look through the cars at the dealers. How do you go about buying cars like the R92CP and Minolta? Are they even in the game. Also, I tried out the online last night. The first race I tried the other opponents cars seemed jerky, what could have been causing this? The car animation wasnt smooth at all, the cars were just jumping forward by 10 metres.
 
You can buy cars like that in the Used Car Dealership or the Online Car Dealership.

The reason the other cars seemed jerky is because you or they had high latency/ping (connection issues). When you join races online try and join ones hosted by someone close to you (UK and not Australia for example).
 
GT5 has a horrible used car system, in which you are expected to wait, sometimes for a very long time, until the car you want shows up. Then, if you are lucky enough to have the money and "level" to buy the car when it appears, you can buy it, and then spend 1,000,000 credits (for LeMans cars) restoring it at GT Auto.

It's better to trade for car tickets, back up your save, and reuse the ticket until it gives you the car you want. Also, in the case of the Minolta, you can win it from "Like the Wind" A-Spec race.

What you experienced online was lag. Either your connection wasn't very good, or your opponents' connections weren't very good. Personally, I don't see lag very often.
 
Ok, Ill try that thanks. Ive also noticed a graphical issue, I run the game at 1080p and every so often you notice the screen goes a bit funny. Its kind of hard to describe but its almost like the PS3 is struggling to render the on screen stuff. An ever so slight lag in processing for a fraction of a second then its fine again. Is this also a known issue?
 
Ok, Ill try that thanks. Ive also noticed a graphical issue, I run the game at 1080p and every so often you notice the screen goes a bit funny. Its kind of hard to describe but its almost like the PS3 is struggling to render the on screen stuff. An ever so slight lag in processing for a fraction of a second then its fine again. Is this also a known issue?

Never happened to me. You have "fat" ps3 or slim version?
 
Ok, Ill try that thanks. Ive also noticed a graphical issue, I run the game at 1080p and every so often you notice the screen goes a bit funny. Its kind of hard to describe but its almost like the PS3 is struggling to render the on screen stuff. An ever so slight lag in processing for a fraction of a second then its fine again. Is this also a known issue?

Unfortunately, its a know issue. Search for 'lag', 'refresh rate' or similar keywords. It likes to appear in scenes with lots of detail.
 
RudePerformance
Ok, Ill try that thanks. Ive also noticed a graphical issue, I run the game at 1080p and every so often you notice the screen goes a bit funny. Its kind of hard to describe but its almost like the PS3 is struggling to render the on screen stuff. An ever so slight lag in processing for a fraction of a second then its fine again. Is this also a known issue?

I have an 80GB "fat" (2nd gen) and I have never experienced any issues. However it is having to work pretty hard because whenever I finish playing GT5 it is quite warm.

To answer the question about jerky online opponent movements that can be attributed to one or more people in the room with bad internet connections which bog down the whole room. Also when the room is very full (12-16 people) this effect can be magnified to the point of the entire room losing connection with the server. This is why I try to stay in rooms with a max of 8 players.
 
What you are experiencing is called screen tearing. It happens when the refresh rate of the TV is higher than what the current framerate is in the game. I think I may have explained that right. At least I think lol.
 
So is that more to do with the PS3 not being able to keep up than the TV? It does seem to occur when there is a lot of action/detail on screen.

What you are experiencing is called screen tearing. It happens when the refresh rate of the TV is higher than what the current framerate is in the game. I think I may have explained that right. At least I think lol.
 
So is that more to do with the PS3 not being able to keep up than the TV? It does seem to occur when there is a lot of action/detail on screen.

No, it shouldn't have anything to do with your detail level. The framerate is solid.

Sounds like you need to configure your TV.
 
Hi, am new to GT5 but not to the GT series. So recently I started playing GT5 and look through the cars at the dealers. How do you go about buying cars like the R92CP and Minolta? Are they even in the game. Also, I tried out the online last night. The first race I tried the other opponents cars seemed jerky, what could have been causing this? The car animation wasnt smooth at all, the cars were just jumping forward by 10 metres.

Anyway, you say you're familiar with other GT games. So surely you know that many of the best cars are not available at the dealer in these other games either. Can win that Minolta. It takes time. Or you can save up and buy it when it shows up, which probably takes patience.

Don't worry. This game has so many cars that other games seem a bit like ripoffs to me.
 
Ok, Ill try that thanks. Ive also noticed a graphical issue, I run the game at 1080p and every so often you notice the screen goes a bit funny. Its kind of hard to describe but its almost like the PS3 is struggling to render the on screen stuff. An ever so slight lag in processing for a fraction of a second then its fine again. Is this also a known issue?

My TV has a "game" mode which stops this, and stops the upscaling you might have - that might work for you (if your tv has this mode, obviously). I have never seen this with my "fat" 80GB since switching to this mode.

Online lag is much harder to deal with - numerous issues could be affecting you, and some may not even be you at all. Wireless channel overlap, ports opened for GT5/PSN on your router, other traffic in your home LAN, or like others have said, it could just be your were connecting to a server far away from you.
 
Back