New to Sport mode and looking for tips

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 5 comments
Canada
Oak Bay, NB, Canada
Bic44
I did a Sport mode race today. I am not new to GT. I’ve gotten 100% on every GT, except maybe 5 - but I can’t remember for sure. I’m not big on racing with strangers. Not long after I got the game (closer to launch) I did 3 races. Got punted everywhere (some of it may have been me being too tentative) and haven’t played it since. Tried it again today and actually enjoyed it. Competed pretty well, ended up 2nd of 11 - in part because of a few ahead of me playing bumper cars.

So, I’m just looking for some tips starting out. I’m not that fast and I won’t be (if and until I get a wheel again). But I want to compete in races and have a legitimate shot at winning. I’m usually a pretty safe driver, but I’m kinda worried that, because of that, my races are going to be against better opponents and I’ll never have a shot at winning.

One other thing, if I’m rounding a tight turn and have at least a few feet on the guy behind me, what is the best way to take it to defend my lead? A few times I had the outside edge of my tires inches, or even touching, the inner curbing. Still, people would dive bomb that spot especially if there was that green paved(?) piece inside the curb. They didn’t seem like dirty drivers otherwise. I’m just curious how aggressive I should be in that situation. I have a hard time as it is being ahead of someone:lol:

First tip, wait until Tuesday to dip your toes in. Sunday and Monday can be very off putting, especially with Interlagos and Tokyo today.

High SR means little chance of winning. Legitimate wins do not come easy. Concentrate on gaining / maintaining position while driving fair.

It depends on the turn how tight you have to take it to defend yourself from getting bump passed. Track limits are very inconsistent an plenty people don't mind risking a shortcut penalty to make a bump pass. The best you can do is avoid aggressive drivers and watch them crash a few turns later or take out the person in front of you. If the car you are trying to keep behind you is actually faster, you can follow him, use his draft as a tow and learn a few things on what the best lines are.

Aggressively blocking will only slow you down and let the rest of the field close in. The hard part is recognizing which drivers are actually faster and which are just being a jackass and slow you down after they force their draft pass on you. However tit for tat is a valid strategy imo. Reap what you sow and all that. Most people that make an aggressive pass expect it back. Just make sure to be able to tell the difference between a clumsy driver and one that does it on purpose. Most people that make (slight) mistakes usually back off or flash their lights as an apology for a crappy pass, some even give you the position back. Some keep their foot down and never look back. Those you can treat the same way.

Unlearn everything you have learned 'racing' the AI and just race. Experience will come by itself. The more respect and space you give others, the more you get back. Nobody likes a blocker and cleanly exchanges places several times with the same driver is a lot more fun.

Thanks guys. @Sven Jurgens I race online sometimes with my buddies, and I used to run a weekly race series. But it’s been a while. I know the lines to take, it’s just hitting those lines is difficult:lol:. I’ll be honest - I’m mostly getting into this for the trophies I wouldn’t get otherwise. My favorite times online are always with friends. If I end up getting a wheel in time for GT sport, I’ll probably dive into sport mode even more. Thanks for the tips on the tight corners. After reading what you said, I think those guys were just a bit too aggressive with their dive bombs.

I noticed a green badge flicking on the top of the screen fairly often. Is this SR going up?

Thanks guys. @Sven Jurgens I race online sometimes with my buddies, and I used to run a weekly race series. But it’s been a while. I know the lines to take, it’s just hitting those lines is difficult:lol:. I’ll be honest - I’m mostly getting into this for the trophies I wouldn’t get otherwise. My favorite times online are always with friends. If I end up getting a wheel in time for GT sport, I’ll probably dive into sport mode even more. Thanks for the tips on the tight corners. After reading what you said, I think those guys were just a bit too aggressive with their dive bombs.

I noticed a green badge flicking on the top of the screen fairly often. Is this SR going up?

Yes, every sector you stay on the road and don't touch anything gives you a slight SR boost. That's how you earn SR. It's usually less than half a point per sector, between 4 and 7 total for race A or B, 15 to 21 total for race C.

Back