New To the GTPlanet forums-What Should I know about GT6?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DrDetroit
  • 18 comments
  • 1,032 views
Messages
42
United States
United States
Messages
DrDetroit70
Hi Guys/Gals, just joined the forums and as I watch it DL from the PS3 store, had a question..

Anything I should know or take note of when starting for the first time? Any tips/tricks for a noob?

Looks cool and the reviews were prettystrong. I had driven GT4, I think GT4, on my PC...but that's about it. Wanted an authentic hi-fidelity racing sim, figured this is a good place to start.

EDIT: Also, how's the online racing?

Thanks in advance and good day!

DrDetroit
 
Get ready for the updates. So far we've had 10 of them, some over 1GB in size. Hell, the last Update (1.10) weighed in at 2GB.
 
1: if you're a beginner, use only abs on 1 and the driving line
2: Slow in fast out
3: Always always always hit the apex. Let's say a clock is a corner and the corner starts at 9 and ends at 3. The apex of the corner will be right at the middle on around 12. This isn't true for every corner since not all of them are perfectly round but in short: drive through a corner as strait as possible. Enter wide, tap the apex, slowly accelerate out of the apex and finish wide.
4: don't put the power on until you know you won't have to take it off
5: (not really necessary but it's for beginners) Check out my reviews for some help on cars for you to buy
6: Private message me if you need help on tuning cars or anything else you can think of if you'd like
7: Welcome :cheers:
 
Get ready to be fueled with all kinds of complains about GT6 lol haha. You have be mentally prepared not to be distracted by it to be able to enjoy the game. I'm also a new member here.

Anyways, here are some good starting points:
1. Play with seasonal events. Watch top 10 replays and learn from it. I improved my time a whole lot by doing this.

2. Seek some friends and mentors on here. I'm grateful with Lewis_Hamilton's help. He has helped me a lot and I improved a lot in driving line on some tracks.

3. Drive with ABS-1 only.

4. Use driving line to learn track but don't drive exactly like it. I have discovered many times that i gained better time using a different line myself. Again watching top 10 replays help.

5. Beginners like us usually overdrive slow corners and under-drive fast corners. We should do it the other way around. This tip comes directly from a GT Academy winner who is now a pro racer.
 
Last edited:
A. Read the License Test Information before you begin; it's really helpful in my opinion.

B. The tuning sub-forum here may be of help to you if you're stuck on a race.

C. The connection quality for online racing is dependent on your internet stability and speed, and generally, the physics offline are entirely different from the physics online. Other than that, I think racing online is a-ok. Although, there seem to be a lack of rooms now (because of the update?).

Also, welcome to the :gtplanet: forums! I wish you the best of luck!
 
1: if you're a beginner, use only abs on 1 and the driving line
2: Slow in fast out
3: Always always always hit the apex. Let's say a clock is a corner and the corner starts at 9 and ends at 3. The apex of the corner will be right at the middle on around 12. This isn't true for every corner since not all of them are perfectly round but in short: drive through a corner as strait as possible. Enter wide, tap the apex, slowly accelerate out of the apex and finish wide.
4: don't put the power on until you know you won't have to take it off
5: (not really necessary but it's for beginners) Check out my reviews for some help on cars for you to buy
6: Private message me if you need help on tuning cars or anything else you can think of if you'd like
7: Welcome :cheers:
Agree with everything except for the driving line part.


My advice, don't ever turn on the driving line. It tells you to brake waaaaaaay to early and way to much.
 
Most importantly, make the game fun. I for example tried to use as many unorthodox cars for the career as I could, almost always driving something different.
 
Yeah, it should really be called the "safe line". It is a good reference that help learning the track though.

Agree with everything except for the driving line part.


My advice, don't ever turn on the driving line. It tells you to brake waaaaaaay to early and way to much.
 
My advice is to simply play the game for a few days, follow the career mode, do some license tests and special events, then come back and ask some questions. You'll have a much better idea of what you like or what is lacking at that point, what problems you come up against etc. If something happens along the way feel free to post questions in this thread, no need to start another thread for a single question.
 
Cool, thanks guys. Very helpful info from everybody.

Installing now...

Thanks again!

DrDetroit
 
You should know that unless you purchased the game for 39.99 you got ripped off
 
Man, I really dig GT6...been stuck to my flat screen all weekend trying to get around the tracks without bumping, grinding and crashing. Yea, there are the areas lacking in the game, but the AI is keeping me busy for now as I learn the trade of hitting the apex sweet spot.

Got my Licenses and working on the International-B stuff (or is at I-A...the 2nd to last racing to be unlocked). Just wish we had ability to do pre-runs prior to the race so we can tune the cars and check the track. I have to go to the "test drive" and pick the course to practice on, which is not a big deal, but would be cool if it were more of a "racing weekend" feel to it.

Anyhow, really diggin' it and can't wait to try the Online racing with (hopefully) longer races where I can get a rhythm going.

All in all the $39.99 is well spent and I'm happy. GT6 kept me away from the GTA5s double RP weekend...oh well. I'm level-143 anyhow, no biggie!

Thanks for the pointers guys. See you at the races!

Good day,

DrDetroit
 
Oh, forgot to ask; I got the ABS at 1 setting, but what about the skid reduction and traction control and other race setting. What is the typical setting that most use?

I tried no ABS, no TC and no skid reduction and wow, uncontrollable. What's the typical setting so I can make sure I'm practicing properly?

Thanks again guys.

DrDetroit
 
Most people use no driving aids other than ABS at 1.

Generally those using DS3 use just ABS at 1 (and maybe some TC depending on the car), some using proper wheels will run with all aids off. Personally I run ABS at 1. The rest of the aids are far too artificial.

Though if you're learning a new track for the first time (especially at night), it may well be worth running the driving line on.
 
It really depends on what level of sim driver you already is. Sounds like you did some racing sim in the past so ABS 1 only may be ok for you. If not, turn on more aids to help enjoy the game. I was on driving line and ABS for a long long time. Even now, newer tracks or tough fast race i turn on driving line to help gauge braking point. Still finds it a challenge to gauge distance and elevation just looking at screen.
However with line off, I find it easier to race clean and counter steer and prevent spinning.
Still a noob myself so understand how frustrating it can be at times.
 
I tried no ABS, no TC and no skid reduction and wow, uncontrollable. What's the typical setting so I can make sure I'm practicing properly? DrDetroit

When I first got GT5 I used all the driving aids and even then found something like a Nascar uncontrollable, also I used to crash under braking at the last bit of the Nordschliefe - I was using the standard hand controller that came with the PS3.

Despite being hopeless with the hand controller I enjoyed the game, just not the controller and guessed that I would enjoy the game much more with a wheel as I am an experienced car driver - so I bought a Logitech Driving Force GT from Argos for £80 - WOW - what a transformation - suddenly the game was playable with all aids off except abs and the immersion and enjoyment factor ramped up 100 fold. So my advice to anyone new is - if you have the space and the budget get a wheel - it might seem like a lot of money for a game, but it will transform your enjoyment and it might become a hobby instead of a game!.
 
+1! Also, start out with various games with different cars in game to get a general feel. Spend more time in finding way to achieve golds in license tests. Once you get a hang of it, go on random online lobbies and race, you will see lot of nightmare here as these random online strangers can be drunk and reckless drivers so don't worry about losing, just play. Finally, join a few racing clubs that are organized. I actually joined Sick_Cylinder classic racing once and they are good team. I haven't played in the last few weeks because the time is too early for me but if it works for you, i highly recommend his racing club. They are friendly, helpful and fast.

By the way, OP, I'm also another beginner like you too :D

When I first got GT5 I used all the driving aids and even then found something like a Nascar uncontrollable, also I used to crash under braking at the last bit of the Nordschliefe - I was using the standard hand controller that came with the PS3.

Despite being hopeless with the hand controller I enjoyed the game, just not the controller and guessed that I would enjoy the game much more with a wheel as I am an experienced car driver - so I bought a Logitech Driving Force GT from Argos for £80 - WOW - what a transformation - suddenly the game was playable with all aids off except abs and the immersion and enjoyment factor ramped up 100 fold. So my advice to anyone new is - if you have the space and the budget get a wheel - it might seem like a lot of money for a game, but it will transform your enjoyment and it might become a hobby instead of a game!.
 
Back