{New to Wheels} Help needed to build a cockpit.

• Thread starter mikesean
  • 4 comments
Greetings all,

I am a new member here at GTPlanet, and am quite new to the GT scene. Indeed, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue was my first Gran Turismo and i am absolutely loving it, despite the fact that i am gaming with the PS3 controller.

However, with Gran Turismo 5 approaching rapidly, i am considering purchasing a 'cockpit'. By cockpit, i am looking for a Wheel, Pedals, Gear stick. Moreover, i will be picking up a wheel stand. I would enormously appreciate your help in getting my gear ready by the time GT5 hits retail stores.

First and foremost, i will be needing a wheel stand due to the relatively small space i possess in my room. After browsing the forums, i have found two quality wheel stands:
*Wheel Stand Pro
*Fanatec Stand

From your experience, which would you recommend? I sure hope the stand is robust and rock solid.

After choosing a Wheel stand, i guess i must choose a product providing a Wheel/Pedals/Gear stick altogether. Evidently, i will be needing a product that is fully compatible with the above Wheel Stands, and the PS3. After browsing the forums, i have found few wheels:
*G25
*G27
*Official GT Wheel - Driving Force GT
*Fanatec 911 Porsche (found numerous different products)

Kindly note that my budget is 100-250 Euros.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

I think you appraoch it the wrong way. First you choose a wheelstand and then a Wheel ?.
Although you have tied space better way is choice a Wheel first and then look for a Wheel stand. A Wheel is a personal thing, and you need consider trying one first at a friend or gameshop.

G25 is gonna be hard I guess to get since the G27 is its replacement.
Well atleast in Holland it is. Not sure in other country`s though.
G27 is around 300 euro`s and above or you must find a sweet deal somwhere.

GT wheel is a nice wheel you can get for around 100 euro and above but cant beat the 900degree wheels as the G27 or Fanatec wheels.
If you want the best bang for the buck I believe the Fanatec 911 Carrera wheel us the one to get. It comes with pedals/6 speed shifter and the 900 degree wheel. Loads of buttons and smooth FFB.

If you buy it with the wheelstand of Fanatec it totals up 259 euro`s.

Hello !

Thank you for the quick response. After searching and looking at the products you have described, along with the fee, i admit that i sure am tempted to go with the Fanatec RennSport Wheel Stand + Porsche 911 Wheel/Pedals.

However, as i was browsing from some supplemental details on the Porsche 911 wheels, i am found a topic in which a user has complained about the fact that the Porsche 911 Turbo wheel specifically was not compatible with the PS3, the only console i am planning to use this full cockpit with, unless i have to manually set the date to 2008. I certainly do not want to do that. Does this issue also appear on the Porsche 911 Carrera Wheel ?

Moreover, i would appreciate some answers on the following question:
There are numerous Fanatec Porsche 911 wheels:

Porsche 911 Turbo Wheel
Porsche 911 Turbo S Wheel
Porsche 911 GT3 RS Wheel
Porsche 911 Carrera

Why have you specifically recommended the Porsche 911 Carrera Wheel and not any of the other 3? Again, i am new to this world of wheels as i have been always gaming using the controller, so this really is simply for information.

Many thanks again !

Well that issue about setting the date back is already solved.
That was a issue during testing but not anymore.

Why the 911 carrera wheel well to fit in your budget.
The others have more features but are also more expensive.

[HR]Niels;3997486
Well that issue about setting the date back is already solved.
That was a issue during testing but not anymore.

Why the 911 carrera wheel well to fit in your budget.
The others have more features but are also more expensive.

I have to disagree the Carrera wheel is virtually as well specced as any of the other wheels. It is however gear driven (as are the Logitech wheels) not belt driven and lacks the vibration motors in the wheel rim (again just as the logitech wheels do) also it does lose out to the Turbo S compatability but you are not an Xbox owner so that is irrelevent.

It is by far the best value on the market today.

Back