New TV 120hz or 60hz

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 7 comments

Corsa

Premium
United States
United States
All the threads I'm seeing are 5 years old regarding screens.

I'm in the market for a new led TV for my PS4.
I'm looking 32"-40" as my rig has it close to me.
My questions are brand and Hz rating.
Is it really worth the extra $100 to have 120 vs 60?
I've been looking at Vizio, any advice would be appreciated.

If it's solely for your PS4, 120Hz will do nothing for you as the PS4 peaks at 60fps. That is unless the TV you're looking at does the fake kind of 120Hz achieved by strobing the backlight at 120Hz behind a 60Hz panel, but frankly I don't understand why that's a thing.

Thank you neema, what about 1080p vs 720p?
Can you really noticed the difference on PS4?
There's some great deals on 720p 60hz leds out there.

The 120Hz advertising is usually motion interpolation, so it isn't true 120Hz. But there are some TVs that are native 120Hz, but it's still useless on a PS4 because no game can go above 60fps. Enabling motion interpolation (Soap opera effect) is bad for gaming because of the additional input lag.

XXI
Thank you neema, what about 1080p vs 720p?
There's some great deals on 720p 60hz leds out there.

it depends on the panel of the TV and how it upscales content. But a safe bet is a 1080p TV, because most PS4 games can do 1080p fine. For 720p or lower content, then the panel will try to upscale. But some TVs do not have good upscaler tech implemented, so it'll try to fit the image.

XXI
what about 1080p vs 720p?

1080p for sure, although not all games run natively at 1080p many of them do run at resolutions higher than 720p (like 900p) and HD video content will look far better. In fact, many people will tell you 1080p on a 32" screen will look bad close up (as you mentioned your TV will be close to you) because of the low pixel density, but if you're just using it with a 1080p console there's not much point getting a 4K instead - unless you also have the means to get a PS4 Pro.

But anyway, if 1080p looks bad close up on a 32", 720p would look much worse, this is because the pixels themselves have to be pretty big to fill the screen at that resolution so images will look blocky. At a distance it becomes less important because your eyes won't be able to discern individual pixels quite as easily, but the difference is very noticeable.

Great information and very much appreciated.

Just picked up a Vizio D-series 32" smart tv, 1080/60.

Looks incredible in game setting close up maybe even a bit too sharp, strains the eyes a little.

I'll play with the settings tomorrow.

XXI
Great information and very much appreciated.

Just picked up a Vizio D-series 32" smart tv, 1080/60.

Looks incredible in game setting close up maybe even a bit too sharp, strains the eyes a little.

I'll play with the settings tomorrow.

How close is it to your eyes, exactly? If it's dominating your field of view that could be a problem. I've found lighting the wall behind the screen helps a lot and lowering the brightness is a good idea, I usually run my PC monitors with the brightness setting quite low. Also setting the position of it relative to your eyes can really help, you're supposed to have the top of the screen in line with your eyes, like this:

monitorposition1.jpg

Of course this only really applies when you're sitting straight up to use the screen, but it helps relieve strain in the muscles that move your eyes.

Failing that, maybe this will help: http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/irritated.htm

Since we're on the subject, you may not know that blue light is bad for your sleep so turning down the blue or setting a warmer colour temperature can help if you suffer from sleeping problems.

20170401_145103.jpg
1491073048809.jpg
It's a simple rig I made from wood, adjustable and currently about 20cm in front of me. Most would think it's way too close.
I like it close, as it is smaller.

I've adjusted the brightness down as you suggested and it's helped quite a bit.
I also turned down the sharpness, much better.
My old screen was a 32" 1080p viewsonic computer monitor from 2006, still works great.
Have a look, too close?

Last edited:
Back