New version of GIMX allows multiple devices to emulate ONE G27 on PC!!!

• Thread starter isamu
  • 14 comments

isamu

(Banned)
Hello gentlemen,

I would like to introduce you to the new version of GIMX!!

Here are GIMX's homepages:

http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://blog.gimx.fr/

GIMX just released a new version! This is a program that normally allows you to emulate a Logitech G27 wheel on a Playstation 3 or 4, but now there is a new version that allows you emulate them using ANY steering wheel or usb device, not just on PS4 but now the PC!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right...you can play Forza Horizon 3 using **ANY** steering wheel you want, and the game will think you're using a Logitech G27! Here's how it works....

Using two windows machines, one acting as one big controller "hub", you can connect all your devices to that machine and emulate a G27 using one PC as the "Target PC" and the other PC as the "Controller Hub", if you will. GIMX will now essentially turn ANY set of multiple of USB controllers into a "Virtual G27"!! In my specific case, I am using the following controllers:

Leo Bodnar wheel
HPP PRX Pedals
DSD RaceKing Button Box
Manu Factory Shifter
Fanatec CSS Shifter
Sony DualShock 4

GIMX turns all of these devices into one "Virtual G27" and every game that previously gave me trouble because it either doesn't recognize my Bodnar wheel properly or has issues with multiple controllers connected, is now working flawlessly!

What I love about GIMX is the fact that by using two PC's, it means that one acts as a controller hub..... which means your gaming PC only needs ONE USB connection, and sees the other PC(the one with all your USB devices) as *ONE* Logitech G27 wheel. No more messing around with games that don't work properly with multiple USB devices. Now I have, for all intents and purposes, a G27, that's customize-able to MY liking, and I can combine as many controllers as I want and map any button or axis to ANY function on the "Virtual G27" that I want. And in case you're wondering, yes, all force feedback effects work and are delivered to my Bodnar wheel with the same clarity and detail as the "raw" FFB signal directly to the Bodnar.

Matlo(GIMX author) has JUST decided to make this Virtual G27 firmware available to the public and posted it on his forum. If you want to use GIMX here is what you'll need:

1)An extra windows machine. Doesn't matter how weak or powerful the PC is. I picked up an old crappy HP Probook on ebay for $100 last week specifically for this purpose and it works perfectly! Just make sure it has USB 2.0 ports.

2)A GIMX adapter. You can build your own or order one from here: http://www.steve-marton.com/gimx/?product=diy-usb-adapter-for-gimx . And yes, I know it says ".....on PS4", but this new firmware is custom and designed specifically for windows.

3)The firmware: available in this GIMX forum thread.... https://forum.gimx.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1804 . Scroll down to the post with the date Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:22 am.

That's pretty much it guys. I know most people on here already own Logitech G25 or G27 wheels so this probably won't really interest you. GIMX is for people like me who fall into the following categories:

1)Owners of wheels and hardware that fall into the "niche" category such OSWs, Accuforce, Bodnars,
etc that want to play games that don't support them or have very poor support for these controllers(*cough*basicallyAllcodemastersgames*cough*cough*).

2)Those with Fanatec wheels, or other unsupported wheels wanting to play Forza Horizon 3 on PC,

3)Those with Fanatec wheels or want to use them on the PS4(yes this too, is possible).

3)Those who uses multiple devices simultaneously, who play games that bitch about, well... multiple devices :) For us this application is a GODSEND because it combines all your devices into one, and you map anything you want to ANY button or axis on your G27!! No fuss, no muss!!

Give it a try guys. It's something I've been beta testing with Matlo for a while we feel it's now far along enough to make it available for the masses. This is something you will NOT see from the makers of ChronusMax(at least not any time soon).

He's planning on it mostly software based, where the adapter acts as some sort of proxy device, but this is a version that's only in the very early pre-alpha stage.

Ah, thanks for the reply. I was just thinking that since we are using a pc and not a console we could just install some software to emulate the g27 with any wheel (driving force pro in my case) like programs such as XOutput that thinks windows has a 360 controller plugged in and its using a wheel to control it.

Ultima I'll be honst with you bro....i saw your other thread asking about the DFP and Forza Horizon 3, and it was THAT thread that prompted me to create the GIMX thread. Since you own a Driving Force Pro, which is really not a bad wheel at all, it behooves you to give GIMX a try. Yes you can use it to play FH3. All you need is that spare laptop/desktop/whatever cheap windows machine, and use that as your "hub". Old ass laptops with windows installed are dirt cheap these days and you'd save a ton of money with this solution over buying a brand new over priced G29. Do it brother.

Thanks dude. I'll go and buy the adapter. I've got a bunch of these old dell pc's laying around that i'll use. Thanks for the tutorial. :)

Any chance you can get this working - ie. with FFB to a Bodnar wheel - on Xbox One...?

I'm sorry to say Mat has very little interest in getting GIMX working on the Xbone. My understanding after reading what he's said over the past year or so, is that it's quite a complicated affair and is not something that's easy to tackle. He has no information on Xbox' FFB protocol and doesn't understand how it works.

Plus I'm sure his motivation has decreased even more now that he's learned that most, if not all racing games for Xbone will be coming to PC anyway. My advise is to save up for a decent PC rig and run GIMX on that to play Forza Motorsport and Horizon. Those two franchises are already a lock for Windows. I don't think there are any racing games left that will be exclusive to that console, unlike the PS4.

You state you can use any old windows PC, but that is incorrect, l was planning on using my old laptop
however the developer informed me that it will not work on a windows XP machine,

You state you can use any old windows PC, but that is incorrect, l was planning on using my old laptop
however the developer informed me that it will not work on a windows XP machine,

Yes you are correct, and my bad....it does in fact require at least Vista or 7. Hell, just install 7 on your old laptop, you can get it for dirt cheap these days.

If l could get a cheap copy of anything other than XP l would use it
problem is, most old computers are still running XP, and if they are running 7 or newest they are still usable for other purposes,
if GIMX could run on XP, and l can't imagine why it cant, it would make it much easier to find an old desktop or laptop to dedicate to just using to run GIMX, heck l have two or three old XP machines, and could build several more, and so far l have had no luck converting one to run Linux as that appears to be my only option at this point,

If l could get a cheap copy of anything other than XP l would use it
problem is, most old computers are still running XP, and if they are running 7 or newest they are still usable for other purposes,
if GIMX could run on XP, and l can't imagine why it cant, it would make it much easier to find an old desktop or laptop to dedicate to just using to run GIMX, heck l have two or three old XP machines, and could build several more, and so far l have had no luck converting one to run Linux as that appears to be my only option at this point,

I have 2 laptops that started life as XP machines, now both run Win7 without any problems. They run a lot slower than my current PC but both can run GIMX just fine, try it and it may work for you too.

Bumping this as a favor for a few people who are having trouble getting their OSW wheels working on either PS4 or PC(mostly for Forza 7).

Back