New wheel "dfgt" user question

  • Thread starter Thread starter ACSR421
  • 10 comments
  • 1,148 views
Messages
491
United States
Texas
Messages
acsr421
I'm having trouble getting used to the 900 degree rotation. While it may be great for simulation use, it doesn't really seem to be the fastest way around the track. Does anyone with a dfp or fanatic wheel with adjustible rotation find that a lesser setting is advantageous when racing? If so I may look into one of those as I still prefer my ds3 for racing because lock to lock steering is so much faster.
 
I really haven't noticed it being an issue. Feels normal. Even coming from the MS wheel and Forza, it didn't take long to adjust.
 
The high end "formula" cars are a nightmare to drive with 900 deg steering, GT cars are manageable... but having adjustable angle would make the experience more realistic and easier.
 
Part of the problem for me at least is the wheel doesn't recenter itself realistically "quickly" in tight corners. I end up having to crank the hell out of the thing, fighting it the whole way back to center. So as far as lap times are concerned less rotation may be quicker. Giving certain wheel users a huge advantage. Can anyone confirm this ? I'm also aware that PD can change the adjustment settings possibly in a future update but probably won't. If only there were a way of requesting this change to them.
 
This is probably my only gripe with the DFGT. I want 200 degrees!! PD please listen and let us choose ourselves!
 
The high end "formula" cars are a nightmare to drive with 900 deg steering, GT cars are manageable... but having adjustable angle would make the experience more realistic and easier.

I agree with this, the FGT is a annoying as heck to drive it has far too much wheel movement to get full lock and try and keep you fingers on the button shifters while changing gears so rapidly. The X1 is not bad because it has far less wheel move to get it to full lock.

But normal road going cars like the italia etc the wheel is pretty darn tight, and having watched some reviews of the italia it seems spot on for the car for people that have commented on the steering of the car and its response.

Now i found the 900 degree thing much more troublesome in gt4 with the driving force pro, not unmanagable but took loads of getting used to, since the wheel had very weak back to center motion, and cars took a ton of wheel movement to get them controllable in high speed corners and the like.

The DFGT and gt5 will take getting used to if you are coming off a controller, but give it some time and some practice it should feel very natural for most of the cars in game given some practice.
 
This is probably my only gripe with the DFGT. I want 200 degrees!! PD please listen and let us choose ourselves!

This is how i feel too. I made the change today to the Dfgt From the Driving Force EX i bought for GT4. The difference is almost maddening. I think it did 200 degrees and had okay-ish Force feedback. Using it with GT5 felt really good, simply because the rotation i do matched the interior of the car...
 
Maybe adjust your force feedback or something, maybe? The only time I have to turn the wheel more than 90* is when I spin out and need to turn around. It did take me a few days to get used to the wheel though. I was jerking the wheel stand all over the place, but now it stays put.
 
Great points guys. I have been racing with a Driving Force Pro wheel and wondering why I am not going so well in races, I thought I was driving really accurately compared to others. Then I tried to just throw the car around the corners which felt almost out of control and weird but it worked. I don't like driving like this and I too would like a fix for this. It seems that GT5 "the real driving simulator" is setup more for a game pad rather than a WHEEL. Please help me, I remember when I could adjust the "dead centre" on PC wheels and that would allow you to have more direct steering which would help.

Nigel.
 
I think this is a bad thing. I ordered a DFGT because it is a certified GT5 wheel. The total rotation angle should be user editable as this is a matter of personal taste. Maybe I should have ordered a Fanatec wheel instead, with its adjustable settings.
PD please make the wheel drivers with more adjustable parameters! Isn't this possible with the PC wheel drivers?
 
Last edited:
I agree with this, the FGT is a annoying as heck to drive it has far too much wheel movement to get full lock and try and keep you fingers on the button shifters while changing gears so rapidly. The X1 is not bad because it has far less wheel move to get it to full lock.
Yet does not F1 cars lock a lot sooner than FGT does? FGT wheels seem to have the turning angle of a street car. I seldom ever turn the wheel more than 90 degrees from center in the FGT. Even with the Fanatec wheel I leave it set at 900 degrees.
 
Back