New with a G27

• Thread starter Airetam
  • 16 comments
Norway
Oslo
Aire_tam
Hey. First of all, i must say that i've lurked these forums for a while, finally got around to making an account!

I got a G27 a little over a month ago, tried drifting, and couldn't even get through one corner. Much harder than i thought!

After a lot of practise, i'm finally starting to feel confident.
Just leaving a video here for tips, praise, hate, or whatever you guys throw at me :cheers:

I use the clutch btw, only driven a car twice in my life :rolleyes:

Edit: New vid, 4 months of practice later:

Last vid for now, thanks for the feedback everyone!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is a thread asking for help because you clearly don't need any, you seem to be a quick learner and in my opinion you are definitely on your way to being a great drifter!
Feel free to add me and awesome stuff man, keep at it!

Hey. First of all, i must say that i've lurked these forums for a while, finally got around to making an account!

I got a G27 a little over a month ago, tried drifting, and couldn't even get through one corner. Much harder than i thought!

After a lot of practise, i'm finally starting to feel confident.
Just leaving a video here for tips, praise, hate, or whatever you guys throw at me :cheers:

I use the clutch btw, only driven a car twice in my life :rolleyes:

Ive actually got a thread up for beginners on the G27.If you have any enquiries feel free to ask myself of TH137Z as we can give you a template to set your car up with.

Ah no, this is a "Hi, this is me. Just started out, how's it looking?" thread.
I realize now that i really should be posting in the announce yourself thread, but oh well.

I think i'm past the "learn how" phase, but picking up a few tips & tricks never hurts.
There's some kinks i'm trying to iron out though, like tight corners, smooth exits, gearing up mid-drift (seems impossible with the clutch without losing the drift) and tandem (always too slow or too fast).

Thanks for the offer, SLaBaTaC. I'm satisfied right now with my z34 and s13, though, both incredibly stable and easy to drift.

Ah yes not a problem airetam i am sure one of the moderators will move this thread to its correct location =).

If ur having trouble upshifting through corners, turn braking sensitivity down in your lsd settings. It Should allow u to change gears without the lsd biting in and changing direction. I run mine on 20 or 30. If it seems to gripwhile your clutching, you may want to stiffen the rear spring rate. Only slightly, but may help

Hey Airetam, I've been combing through a lot of drift vids using a wheel, mainly from youtube and within this forum, and I've come to find you have one of the smoothest and cleanest drifting I've ever seen. I was wondering if you could share the tune/set up you were using for the 370z in the vid.

I also have a question. Do you feel its possible to drift like how you did in this vid if you had left the car stock untouched like no tuning or do you feel tuning is necessary to pull off a good drift? Anyways I'm amazed at how fast you learned to drift this good in such a short amount of time. Now it just motivates me more to pick up drifting with a wheel!

What FFB strength are you using? Great vid by the way.
I think i used 6 when i made this video. The wheel is broken-in now, so the ffb has gotten a little weaker.
I'm currently using 8.

Thanks!

Hey Airetam, I've been combing through a lot of drift vids using a wheel, mainly from youtube and within this forum, and I've come to find you have one of the smoothest and cleanest drifting I've ever seen. I was wondering if you could share the tune/set up you were using for the 370z in the vid.

I also have a question. Do you feel its possible to drift like how you did in this vid if you had left the car stock untouched like no tuning or do you feel tuning is necessary to pull off a good drift? Anyways I'm amazed at how fast you learned to drift this good in such a short amount of time. Now it just motivates me more to pick up drifting with a wheel!
Wow, thanks GT!

Drifting like this is possible without any tuning at all, though it depends on the car. (a stock Shelby Cobra is amazing)
The first thing i usually do with a car is buying a LSD, setting it to 60/60/60, and a Full suspension upgrade, lowering the rear, adding some camber and toe to the front.

Setting up a car helps you drift better, but it's the driver that makes a good drifter, not the tune.

I'll be back with the setup in a bit.

Edit: I actually used this tune, i've changed it a bit since then, though.

Last edited:
That's a good tune to start with and in a little over a month that's good drifting. Now to just focus on making the least amount of corrections as possible. I find that a lower deceleration on the LSD helps to be smoother especially since that tune is close to what I use.

It's now been 4 months, and i must say that i've improved a lot!
Here's a new vid, the classic AE86, same track.
As you can see, i wiggle a lot less with the wheel, i hit the right steering angle faster and have better throttle control.
I must say it feels very, very good to be consistent with the wheel!

Tell me what you think! 👍

It's now been 4 months, and i must say that i've improved a lot!
Here's a new vid, the classic AE86, same track.
As you can see, i wiggle a lot less with the wheel, i hit the right steering angle faster and have better throttle control.
I must say it feels very, very good to be consistent with the wheel!

Tell me what you think! 👍

1) Very good drifting for 4 months of experience.
2) I can't judge consistency on 2 laps. Considering you made quite an error in the first lap to be considered consistent... (Still remains, just saw 2 laps).
3) Pretty underpowered car. Which means more props to you for the decent lines, second lap.

1) Very good drifting for 4 months of experience.
2) I can't judge consistency on 2 laps. Considering you made quite an error in the first lap to be considered consistent... (Still remains, just saw 2 laps).
3) Pretty underpowered car. Which means more props to you for the decent lines, second lap.
Yeah, i see where you're going with that. Thanks for the feedback!
By being consistent i mean that i can link several laps without spinning out or going way off track, i can go door to door with people without bumping into them, and be comfortable in a freshly tuned car straight away.

I realize that i'm still in the learning phase, but i'm very happy with the progress i've made so far considering how hard it was to use the wheel the first couple weeks.

Sorry for the double post, one last vid coming up. Adding it to the OP as well.

Here's a 3-lap practice vid, going tandem with my ghost (i wish ghost cars were visible on replays, perhaps in gt6?)

Back