New York GT Enthusiasts, Greetings

  • Thread starter Thread starter rheinaoi
  • 6 comments
  • 529 views
Messages
466
United States
New York City
Messages
challah_rajni
Well hello again everyone, this is resident lurker and card-carrying member of the GT4 Corrupt Data Club :( Rheinaoi, speaking to you once again. I remember some time long ago (in a galaxy far, far...no) that there was an effort to bring racing fans from the New York area together. Seeing as how being without an Xlink or a broadband connection has left me with no real live competition to speak of, I think it’s safe to say that endeavor didn’t turn out so well.

I just wanted to reach out to any fellow GT players in the state. I've always wondered if there weren't more players out there lacking that live human element. I know I'm not the only one... right?:dopey:

So, for any players in the New York area, this thread is for you. Feel free talk about yourself, tell your story, how you got into GT, why you play it, how you play it...

I'll start things off with my own (short) story. At the moment, I'm just a lowly student and aspiring writer. As a car freak it's hard to ignore a game like GT when it crosses your path. Not planning on being an exception to the rule any time soon, I played GT1 all the way through Prologue and 4.

Originally, I was quite smitten with Sega racing games, because as you see, all through the 90's Sega really knew how to make a racing game. In that era, if they decided that a car achieved it's fastest acceleration and greatest grip drifting sideways, it felt so right you'd actually believe them: logic and physics be damned! Though Sega taught me the concept of a racing line it took a long time to unlearn a lot of bad habits. Sadly I was never really any good at GT1 or 2 as a result. I regret that. But when GT3 came and I figured out how to turn off ASM:dunce: , I was a changed man. I've been playing GT4, tuning, testing and golding licenses to my little heart's content since.

A lot of my fellow car freaks have either moved on or moved away. I've been looking for some kindred GT spirits for some time now.

There is something in the way GT is structured that makes it feel often like such a solitary, personal experience. Skill comes from beating your personal bests time and time again, but the lack of a live community (and I say this in the presence of a worldwide GT community some 80,000 strong... goodness:scared: ) has been a little distressing. I guess being an arcade gamer at heart, and experiencing the atmosphere of gatherings, the tension of the competitions, but also the time when a person makes a quip about some obscure technical reference (the antics of B-spec Bob comes to mind) and has the whole crowd keeled over laughing, I guess experiencing that with other games has me a little spoiled. It's the greatest expression of nerdiness, but hey, I'd like to have the same experience with GT.

So, wherever you might be, fellow New York Racers, let's hear from you:tup:
 
Do you mean the track in GT4 or real?
 
I have a feeling that he is trying to gather some players that live in New York together, and this has nothing to do with the track in game... sorry if I'm wrong here.

- R -
 
:lol:

Ok my mistake.
 
Greycap is exactly right. I'm trying to gather together the players that live in the New York Area (or at least see if there are any other players out there besides me).

I apologize the wordiness of my post and for whatever confusion it's caused.:guilty:
 
What's up dude!

I live in Long Island and I kinda been triying to locate NY members on this site too. :cheers:

I got into GT back in Italy, I only played GT2 a few times, then I stopped buying video games (after 15 years) and started focusing on sports and hang out with my friends.
I've always been a car guy though, I worked at a few dealerships here in LI and my passion for cars has been always as strong as a Long Island Iced Tea ;), (hope u know what i'm talking about).
Got GT4 when it just came out because I really wanted to see how the grapphics had change from GT2 and of course, I wanted to see if my car was there :sly: , but it wasn't :ouch: . Anyway, so far, it's the best game in my collection and I NEVER get tired of playing it, to me is not a game anymore...it's a part time job or my official hobbie. I gotta accept that ever since I got it, my friends were like, dude, it's just a game or stuff like that, but they're cool about it though.

rheinaoi
There is something in the way GT is structured that makes it feel often like such a solitary, personal experience. Skill comes from beating your personal bests time and time again

AMEN to that for 2 reasons. First, because the first sentence explains why I never get bored of playing the game. Second, because I apply the second sentence to school and sports, (specially swimming).

BTW, where in NY do you live? and what's up with the nickname bro? :D

Take it easy man 👍


Ciao...
 
Thanks for your reply MrOzzyGT. It's great to know there really is someone else in the area still as dedicated (hopelessly obsessed with) with the game. Oh and thanks for talking bringing up what part of New York you live in. Seems I forgot to include that:dunce: ...

As for me, I live in Manhattan. Though I think we have one of the best arcades in the country at the moment (Chinatown) just like the rest of the country, I still can feel the sting of the declining arcades in the states. However and this brings me to my main point, console arcades seem to be all the rage with the dedicated gamers at the moment. Think of them as giant spaces where gamers gather and rent out play time on consoles. A popular one I frequent is a place called Web2Zone. It's primarily an internet cafe, but there is a large focus on gaming.

If you've got the time, and haven't done so already you can drop by and check the place out. Their website is www.web2zone.com

Oh and my nickname:sly: ... a lot of people wonder about that one. It's just the name of a character from a short story. It's pronounced {Ray-Noy}. Now why it's spelled the way it is, that's a mystery that can only be explained through my lackluster performances in beginner Japanese classes:dopey: .

For any further information or ideas feel free to send me a PM.
 
Back