New York: The Time Warner building @ Columbus Circle, Construction's Finshed

The building behind the Globe in Columbus circle, to your right of the construction site is NYIT building. Pretty cool for me since I see that area each day (college I attend) and I get to see it in the game the way I see it pretty much every damn day I go to class.

I love driving around the manhattan stage and noticing all the detail that went into it. I do dislike the forest look in the rearview mirror though... but I guess they can't push the game THAT far yet. :D

Well, in the rearview mirror only the roads and cars are clear. Everything else is blurred. You can't even distinguish the buildings or anything... all the details and objects in the b/g's disappear. It just doesn't look right.

I doubt they'll changing anything. Remember the Seattle stadium that stayed in long after its demolition from the last GT?

Actually I don't believe the mirror effect will change in any GT series game for a long while to come. Mirror effects are highly memory intensive, and it order to balance that out some of the stuff that appears in your rear view mirror needs to be less detailed. Although it might be a possibility in the next generation consoles :)

I don't think that the geometry rendered in the rearview mirror is all that memory intensive (or render intensive for that matter). It seems like it just comes down to how much is actually worth rendering in the RVM because it so small and takes up so little HUD real estate.

Keep in mind, the engine (and memory) keep track of where everything is while you are racing - the fact that it's rendered in a mirror mode is not taxing to the available computing power.

Now, if I am understanding you correctly lifestream, you are talking about "environmental mapping." That's the heavy load right there. That's intensive because the reflection that is (in effect) doubling the rendering load.

It was decent in the preview GT, and I also don't think it will get any better. There is some basic environmental mapping there, but it's faked - it still looks good, but it's not true env. mapping.

Back