New York Trackside Detail?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fatkev
  • 21 comments
  • 1,592 views
Messages
31
OK, I hope someone can help me here! On the NY course, as you go round the circular part (first left corner, I think?) on the left hand side there is a building with a statue of a globe outside.

Here's a pic!

7f90c492.jpg


What is this building? Every time I drive past it, I can't stop wondering what it is!

(And if anyone has a map or a detailed track description I'd be eternally grateful!)

Cheers.
 
Fatkev
Thanks very much for that! Now I can stop craning my neck looking at it as I fly past! :dunce:

Right... Going reverse in N.Y. - after the roundabout, on your right, there's a shop with some red shades (those "things" that hang out from the windows providing shade) - That's my friend Mike's dad's restaurant "San Domenico" ! :D
 
Flerbizky
Right... Going reverse in N.Y. - after the roundabout, on your right, there's a shop with some red shades (those "things" that hang out from the windows providing shade) - That's my friend Mike's dad's restaurant "San Domenico" ! :D

that's pretty darn cool haha

free publicity (do you say that in english?) for his restaurant hehe

:)
 
gibus
that's pretty darn cool haha

free publicity (do you say that in english?) for his restaurant hehe

:)

I think that would be a proper term yes ;)
 
Did you notice that if you drive in reverse, just before the finish line, you can see the outside of the building where Dave Letterman does his Late Night episodes? Blurry, but obvious.
 
Cool thing about New York, imo, is that you get to see part of the course with city cars (night) and cars racing (day).
 
The hotel where i was also appears on the track... :dunce:
 
The MTV TRL studio is also to be found..
 
I realize that I am in after the bell rang, but I am very curious. What streets do we race up and down on the New York circuit? Also, where in relation to the track are the Empire State Building and World Trade Center complex? I know buildings 1, 2 and 7 came down, but the rest of the buildings are there.

Traveling with the round-about as the first corner, is the Empire State Building the one which can be seen in the background before the first hard right which would be turn 2, yes? Thanks for your time and explaination in advance.
 
That looks close but not quite right.
I know there was a thread like this before that had map.
 
Knickersfan
World Trade Centre's marked out on this one...


That's about right. Problem is that far from all of the streets are showed on that map, so some of that route is ****ed, as you probably can see yourselves.

One funny thing I noticed about the track is that as you come up towards the roundabout on 59th Street, you see that building, whatever it was called, straight ahead, as a construction site. But when I visited NYC last summer this building was finished. How long ago did they make this track? :p
 
They probably made the track quite some time ago and the area may very well have been a construction site.

Thanks for the maps, I was able to get a better idea of the streets we race up and down. I was hoping that I could peer down the background to see the remaining buildings but it looks as if we hang a "U" at Madison Square which means we couldn't see that far even if we strained. P.D. sure missed a lot of scenery they could have put in as far as background. The Brooklyn Bridge would have made a nice backdrop, as would the Statue of Liberty.
 
I have also seen in NY: Newsweek, a TGI Fridays, ESPNZONE studios, ABC's wavy signs, and a Payless. I know there is so much more, but I haven't raced on NY in awhile.
 
[uselessinfo]Anyone played Spiderman 2? You can go all over the entire city of New York, it's pretty cool. I still need to swing over the GT4 track though. They combined the two for one of the PS3 tech demos.[/uselessinfo]
 

anybody know what this place is? i can't quite make it out? :D:tup: LOLZ!
 


Top of the course is 59th street, under Central Park. Bottom of the course is 42nd street. Main straight is Broadway, other North/South streets are 5th Ave. (very briefly), Avenue of the Americas, and 7th Ave. Of course, the almost crossover at the bottom is Times Square.
 
wow! that's a little too specific for me, I was asking about the sign though :D
 
s12ken
wow! that's a little too specific for me, I was asking about the sign though :D

I was responding to the map posts further up, sorry. However, I'm noticing that I really didn't answer their questions, either, about where the course is in relation to some known landmarks. Maybe this is better:



And I should have mentioned thanks to Google Earth and the power of placemarkers and overlays!
 
Back