Newbie questions about spring rate & dampers

• Thread starter gapper59
  • 3 comments
United States
Addison IL.
Don't have much experience with forums so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place.

These are probably dumb questions but I want to make sure I got it right.

1. When you increase the spring rate (moving it to the right) you are making the springs stiffer,right?

2. When you increase the damper compression & extension (moving it to the right) you are making them move farther? and does that increase the stiffness?

3. Does the same apply to anti-roll, the higher the number the stiffer it is, right?

Thank You

Don't have much experience with forums so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place.

These are probably dumb questions but I want to make sure I got it right.

1. When you increase the spring rate (moving it to the right) you are making the springs stiffer,right?

2. When you increase the damper compression & extension (moving it to the right) you are making them move farther? and does that increase the stiffness?

3. Does the same apply to anti-roll, the higher the number the stiffer it is, right?

Thank You
1. Yes, bigger number means harder to compress springs

2. Its more like compression/extension speed than actual stiffness, lower numbers mean less resistance to compression/extension, higher numbers mean more resistance. Imagine a spring with weight on top, with compression dampers set at 1 it will take 1 second for the weight to compress the spring fully whereas with the damper set to 10 it will take 10 seconds for the spring to be fully compressed by the same amount of weight

3. Yes

1. Yes, bigger number means harder to compress springs

2. Its more like compression/extension speed than actual stiffness, lower numbers mean less resistance to compression/extension, higher numbers mean more resistance. Imagine a spring with weight on top, with compression dampers set at 1 it will take 1 second for the weight to compress the spring fully whereas with the damper set to 10 it will take 10 seconds for the spring to be fully compressed by the same amount of weight

3. Yes

Latest Posts

Back