newbie!

courtottman
new to drifting and very willing to get excellent!
i completed all events so i have budget for any idea's no matter how crazy!
it would be very appreciatted if you could point me in the direction of 3 things:
1)best track to start on
2)best car to start with
3)best settings/tune
thankyou đź‘Ť

Awesome đź‘Ť

1. Start with the S's on suzy or try eiger
2. The 512BB's a good machine; plenty of power and great on S tires
3. Mess around with the tuning (I'm bad at tuning, but my settings get the job done)

Awesome đź‘Ť

1. Start with the N's on suzy or try eiger
2. The 512BB's a good machine; plenty of power and great on N tires
3. Learn to drift without any tuning, that's what I did.
Fixed...

1)best track: I did Daytona Infield, it seemed to have what i needed to learn. It had s turns, decreasing turns, increasing turns, and the long sweepers.

2)best car: This is what car you like best. You may like a Viper, Vette, Jag, or a BMW so pick the car you like and then it'll make it better. By driving a car you like itll be easier to learn, cause you enjoy driven it. If you dont have a certain car then the Cappuccino Tuned is the one to get the feel of the game. I myself love the Art Morrison Vette and the 02' Viper GTS.

3)tuning wise is just the gears, no need to mess with any suspension

Be easy. Eiger ain't that easy. Try suzy & it's S turns. The eastside is nice enough, & use the Cappucino. Play with the gear ratios & your good.

N3 tires for the win.

Of course everyone is gonna say different things but here's what I would recommend

1: Eiger is probably the easiest track to drift on so I would go there first , Also I wouldn't recommend going on S tires if your starting , It's all preference when it comes to tires but you will be better learning with N's because it is easier.

2: The tuned cappucino is very easy to control and drift really well, the rx-7 or 350z are also good starting cars

3: I mostly drift stock but you might wanna have 50 max turn angle, also lower and stiffen your suspension if you want to, and playing with the gears might be a good idea on some cars with low torque
If you start with the tuned cappucino , you should add some power to it because it has only like 120 hp I think

And remember drifting is all about practice , of course knowing the good techniques help !

Well i'm pretty new too so i'm gonna say what I found worked best for me
1.Fuji GT
2.Cappa Tuned or F430
3.Default Tune with N3 Tires

If you want to do it right, start with stock, low powered cars with N2 or N3. Don't mix tire compounds. Drifting sucks on mixed street compounds period. In GT or in a real car.

Why would u guys start with the cappucino ??

Start drifting the Suzuka course, its easy and most fun.
Buy the Blitz D1 skyline, and get to know the car.
Max out the turn angle to 50, add plenty of power and weight reduce it. Make the suspension hard and stiff. I started drifting on R1 tires, You've got allot of grip, and can still race if thats what u want.

Facerape0901

350z, n1 tires at eiger...that worked for me. But the best drifting car and track are all up to you. Do what feels right for you, and work with that.

Why would u guys start with the cappucino ??

Start drifting the Suzuka course, its easy and most fun.
Buy the Blitz D1 skyline, and get to know the car.
Max out the turn angle to 50, add plenty of power and weight reduce it. Make the suspension hard and stiff. I started drifting on R1 tires, You've got allot of grip, and can still race if thats what u want.

Facerape0901

Unless you drifted out of your mom when you were born I would not recomend that, heck i dont think I can do it right now!

LOL!

I'm the only one who use's R1 for drifting???

yes I think so cause drifting with a very high grip tyre is almost impossible in GT5P. so do you have your replay now? can you put it up in youtube or give the replay to any of us? cause I would really like to see how to drift a blitz skyline with R1 tyre... you must've gone really fast through the corner.

I drift with R1 tires with the Blitz Skyline too...and I can make a replay to back it up. With practice, it's not that hard. I drift with r3 tires sometimes too. But let's stay on topic, as I said earlier, I recommend N1 tires and a car you feel comfortable with, and a track like eiger where if you overshoot, you don't fly 20 miles off the track. That's pretty much it.

I'm very new to drifting as well, and I'm finding the AWL Lancer Evo x to be quite easy to handle. However, using a FR car afterwards seems even more difficult to control. I've found some really good drifting "tutorials" with various cars and tracks on youtube, and it's a split screen showing the race and the guy at the wheel/pedals...making it easy to see how much over/understeer to use, and how you can control the drift with the throttle as well as the steering.

I drift with R1 tires with the Blitz Skyline too...and I can make a replay to back it up. With practice, it's not that hard. I drift with r3 tires sometimes too. But let's stay on topic, as I said earlier, I recommend N1 tires and a car you feel comfortable with, and a track like eiger where if you overshoot, you don't fly 20 miles off the track. That's pretty much it.
k where is it at?

k where is it at?

I didn't make it. I didn't think it would be so hard to believe...many people can do it. Just go on the drift chat, alot of people there drift with R tires. But if you INSIST fine I'll make a replay.

Last edited:
I would also like to see this Drifting on R1 or R3 tires. Were these people drifting with the DS3 or 900* wheel? I wouldn't even bother IMO, i think N3's are closest feel while drifting, but SUCK when trying to Grip Race. And S1's if you're under-powered just plain takes the fun out of it. But everyones got their own style and techniques they use. I would be interested to see R tire drifting, see how much angle and clean the runs are. :)đź‘Ť

IMO Eiger is a fun track and what got ME personally started drifting in Gt5p (not new to drifting at all though). With the barriers and not flying far off the track, it teaches you a lot about elevation changes, short tight turns, long sweepers. Overal more of a "touge" style drift experience. The suzuka S-turns are also awesome, but when you mess up it takes FOREVER to get back on track. Practice makes better.

I say if you're trying to SPEED-Drift/Race-drift then maybe some of the S tires, but for practice and learning the concept, depending on the car/power N1-N3 for learning. With N tires it's easier to slide out, and they grip a lot slower so you don't get as much snap back over-steer or spinning out. Basically gives you a little bit more time to react and room for error. :dopey:

I'll upload a replay I quickly did but please note I never drift on r3 tires, I just did this to show it's possible. I am using a g25 wheel with 900 degrees, and used to use a dfp (also 900).

EDIT: I can't record right now parents took the camera for christmas vacation...grr. If someone here has a capture card I can send my replay...?

Last edited:
Exactly lol:tup:

Also Iam not saying it cant be done, but come on why even do it?
for one reason is because not alot of people can do it ;) i have drifted r3's with dking a few times and it is fun cause its VERY challenging....

its all about N1's đź‘Ť
LMFAO ya for noob trials aka drift trials. n1's are too slow and not fun at all unless your into the drift trial thing and that is TOO EASY to place high up in overall spots. you can check my records at suzy east with the following psn names
TEAM_orange_88
Project_D-88
GTP-Asylum

idk how many other names i had lol couldnt choose one right off the bat took a while lol

u can see how much faster a n3's are by the video me and kord put up here https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=113748

Back