Wreckfest - General Discussion

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 1,601 comments
But what he didn't mention is that it's basically gone back to square 1 as far as most things are concerned with the engine overhaul. It is literally impossible to say what direction the physics will go from here, it was made more accessible in this build for keyboard and pad users because of the changes it is going through. Wait until it is in beta at least before deciding whether it's pure arcade or not ;)

Of course it's arcade handling- this is not and will not be a sim. It's meant to be a fun arcade game that is completely over-the-top.
I actually want it to be arcade, but not in the way that people too often (ab)use the term.

For example where I view Shift 2 as a failed sim, the lazy approach was taken by many to simply call it arcade as a consequence of it's failure. What I want is a sense of weight and all round robustness. I believe that they've got the depth there, I'm just disappointed that much of the community didn't have the patience to allow Bugbear progression through the game's state, rather insist on a regression.

Arcade is not a dirty word for me. In fact I lobby for it's legitimacy. Part of that is not accepting that the words simulation and arcade are antonyms, and not accepting that an arcade game will lack depth.

Well I don't care how they call it as long as the physics (car handling, crash physics tec...) is more towards reality than driving around without having to control the car, being able to crash into barriers without consequence. I want understeer, oversteer, torque steering etc... . :D
It doesn't have to an off road game with Asseto Corsa physics, but I definitely want it more than just pure arcade handling.

I want it to be challenging to drive a car, to control a car if you go over the limit. 'Driving on rails', without a chance of losing control over your car is not what I'm looking for in any race game. This is my personal definition of pure arcade. It reminds me of race games in amusement arcade (hall).

Apparently it now has a non-placeholder name - WRECKFEST.

The perils of placeholder names though...... Laughably, it seems that many are convinced that Next Car Game was actually a good name for the game.

I would have liked something less generic than WRECKFEST though. "This Is What It Sounds Like When Two Tonnes Of Metal Cries" maybe?

Last edited:
Multiplayer rocks, gravel track = madness
wink.png
(however vid is not from online)

Also on Tarmac track theres lot of fun, perfect for no crc racing with friends.

man this looks just like the racing in driveclub and every other racing game. lol looks great praying it comes to ps4 soon. a good pc is out of my range. i see your running a fanatec csr wheel what are you using foe pedals and shifter.

:banghead: The game doesn't recognize my G27 pedals hooked up using a Bodnar cable. I seen on the website a couple other people are having the same issue. 🤬

I went for the 30% special offer this weekend.

Interesting physics, I love the amount of scenery which can be destroyed, good graphics (after some heavy tweaking), nice tracks, FFB is subtle but grows on you. The AI isn't all that quick and does lots of incredibly stupid things, so just like online public races basically. :)

It's still early days, but defintely a lot of potential.

Wreckfest (Next Car Game) gameplay. The video is a race of three laps with the American Sedan car at the Gravel circuit with 24 cars.

I went for the 30% special offer this weekend.

Interesting physics, I love the amount of scenery which can be destroyed, good graphics (after some heavy tweaking), nice tracks, FFB is subtle but grows on you. The AI isn't all that quick and does lots of incredibly stupid things, so just like online public races basically. :)

It's still early days, but defintely a lot of potential.
I also got the game at 30% off, been playing around with it a lot since then. Very fun game. I'm pretty sure there's a yellow Mini A.I. car that is programmed to only go around in circles, but other than that pretty good.
The multiplayer games can turn into a cluster:censored: though :lol: at times I only get 2-4 FPS.

Need ....to stay.... away from this thread. :drool:

I'm making it very hard on myself not to start playing games again. This game looks incredible and a lot of fun.

Is it better than FlatOut Ultimate Carnage? Because that is the game that I have.

I hope this will make it to the PS4 and XB1. It looks like tremendous fun. Such a shame no publisher wanted to pick this up.
I agree this would have been a day 1 purchase for me on the X1. I haven't played a really good derby game since Destruction Derby Arenas or Test Drive Eve of destruction. Grid had an ok demo mode. Most people don't know but Destruction Derby Arenas was 20 players ONLINE on the PS2. Amazingly fun derby game.

280941b.jpg

Man, this new pyshics engine is sure giving Bugbear a hard time, isn't it? Although I understand their worries of course, they want the game to work correctly without any major bugs while driving.

And I'm getting very eager to get this game. I was (and I still am) a big fan of both Flatout 1 and 2, but this game is on a whole another level. It just looks like tons of fun, and I really want to see that for myself.

I like this....

This week’s blog opens our design philosophy and the lengths we go to so we can deliver that vision to our players.
The focus is on physics, and what we’re doing with all that jazz.

As a company, Bugbear is committed to making delightful car games. Not only do we strive towards excellent entertainment factor, we want our games to last for years. WithWreckfest, we really let our ambition run rampant, because we don’t want to create just another run of the mill action racing.

Often cars in games have only a few discernable factors, like acceleration, top speed and turning speed. That’s it. They’re really simple creatures, and this usually results in each new car being just plain superior to what you previously had, because of those overly simplified characteristics.

We don’t want to do that. We want our cars to be the main characters of Wreckfest. We want each and every car to be their own person, with their own quirks, strengths and hiccups. To accomplish this, our cars can’t only just feel different, but actually be different.

This feat requires some true magic under the hood. In order to give the cars enough personality, we need to have enough variables in handling and behavior so you could really spot those differences. This, of course, means amping up the physics engine, and to be honest, we’re going out of our way to do this right.

Each car has a huge number characteristics that define how it functions. The values given for the car’s frame affect how it turns, lulls, nods and bends in any given circumstance. In Wreckfest, the suspension portion of the car, meaning springs, sway bars and so on, is just a small part of the whole, but that alone contains over sixty different values. Each of those values affect directly how the car behaves, and each value needs a bucketload of tuning so you can get that feel of the car just right. The suspension is both a treat for sore eyes, as the cars bounce on their springs realistically, but also an important part of modeling car handling to the tee.

The tires of the car get a lot of love as well. They’re actually a perfect example of our attention to detail. For example, the surface of the tire is divided into small segments. Each segment has several layers: our physics modeling takes into account the rigidity of the tire’s surface, the elasticity of the rubber mixture, and shock absorbance of the layers beneath. Not only that, we monitor things like friction and how the tire heats up – and how that heat changes the various characteristics! In short, our tires behave differently when they’re warm, and they have enough values to handle simulating any surface conditions we want.

Despite all this hyping up of how detailed we are with our physics modeling, the main goal, however, is not because we want to be a simulator. No. We need our physics modeling to have this much detail because we want the cars to behave like they’re supposed to when you’re sliding. We want that feel when the car remains in your precise control even when you’re drifting like crazy. That feel when your steel horse bucks and whines under you, but you, you remain in control. You can’t do that without digging deep into physics. So, we dug deep.

This is why it’s taking so long to get the next build ready for launch.
This is also why we think it’s worth the wait.

-Team Bugbear

Latest Posts

Back