Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
I know, it's just... I dunno. It doesn't feel like a Supra.

It's just feels off.

My biggest fear for this car is that it'll be underpowered compared to the FT-1 concept.

That concept had a V8, and rumours seem to be that this car will have a four-banger hybrid instead.

Why wouldn't it be?

Never said it wouldn't be, just always believed that (while being pissed that Toyota were too busy being chicken at making something that wasn't beige and as interesting as watching concreate set in).

Never said it wouldn't be, just always believed that (while being pissed that Toyota were too busy being chicken at making something that wasn't beige and as interesting as watching concreate set in).
Toyota didn't read rebadge it as a Lexus because it wasn't boring enough, they rebadged it because they believed that nobody would be willing to spend $250k+ on a Toyota.

I know you're not saying that. I'm just curious why people wouldn't think any performance car with a Lexus badge wasn't simply Toyota having fun with the brand that allowed them to. Unlike Toyota in there post 90s sport car life, Lexus was actually doing interesting things in various degrees, and was a test bed for TRD catalog parts.

Maybe this one is the high output version and the other was the base model(I haven't matched up the number plates. So, could I could be wrong).
I still feel it'll look fine.

When the North American base 240SX came out, it look okay. The SE looked better with the spoilers. Adding aftermarket parts just makes the design stand out. That may also be true for this new Supra.

Toyota didn't read rebadge it as a Lexus because it wasn't boring enough, they rebadged it because they believed that nobody would be willing to spend $250k+ on a Toyota.

I wonder how much of that is the Lexus branding, though?

They probably could have sold the LF-A under the Toyota name and still saw reasonable success. I feel like people would associate the Toyota name more with sporty vehicles over Lexus, anyways, or at least automotive enthusiasts would. I've never been stricken by Lexus to be a sports car brand, versus Toyota, with the 86 (now also being a Toyota in the US), and the modern design language where even the Yaris looks like it could be taken to a track (LOOKS like, but don't actually take it there). Toyota has a sporty history.

Remember that Toyota 4500GT concept? Even though it was a wagon of sorts, the LFA could have ran with that name(as a Toyota or Lexus).

Ironic that the 86 looks like the LFA.

Yeah, we have established that the new Supra is the same size as the upcoming BMW Z4, which should be marginally larger than the E89 Z4. I guess Toyota's argument for those wanting a larger performance coupe is to buy the Lexus RC F instead.

FT-1 looked like a 100k - 300k car.

The test mule looks like a 30k max. Doubt it will compete well against the GT-R and NSX.

Yeah, we have established that the new Supra is the same size as the upcoming BMW Z4, which should be marginally larger than the E89 Z4. I guess Toyota's argument for those wanting a larger performance coupe is to buy the Lexus RC F instead.
or, if it happens, the LC F.

FT-1 looked like a 100k - 300k car.

The test mule looks like a 30k max. Doubt it will compete well against the GT-R and NSX.

It's not meant to. Unlike those two, it hasn't moved it so far from its predecessor to essentially be a different type of car.

It will. Expect more info late this year (when the LS production dates are revealed; Feb. '18 target), could be looking at a release late 2018.
considering it already uses an F engine (2UR-GSE), one must wonder what powerhouse would be powering this F?

considering it already uses an F engine (2UR-GSE), one must wonder what powerhouse would be powering this F?
Twin Turbo V8. The story is at its core, its essentially 2 I4-Turbo motors strapped together.

With a lot more engineering involved of course. :)

Not sure if the picture on the right is of a edit or a actual prototype?

"the prototype doesn’t have the same large door-mounted vents found on the concept car".

https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/toyota-supra-price-specs-release-date-2723

Toyota-styling-comparison.jpg

If that is a real image, then that prototype should be the concept destined to debut at the Tokyo Motor Show later this year.

How sad is it that you have to photoshop a concept car and black out parts of the picture just to try and create some "spy shot" of an upcoming production car.

Fail on carwow for getting duped into reporting a non-story.

Worst, I thought it was the end of stubby design.

Toyota-Supra-prototype-spied-front-three-quarter-02.jpg

Back